The awesome picture thread

lorenzo

5 minutes ago, mike newman said:

some flitch, Jeff  !!!!...beautiful timber....Serious band saw, also... or was it sawn  horizontally  ??  to quick for me to see ...slow it down..a mite....!!!

Mike

IT is quick, but I think it is sawn horizontally

Thought this was cool, snatched it from Bing this morning

Bavljenac Island

Of the 1,246 islands on Croatia's fragmented coast, the unique isle of Bavljenac might be the most identifiable. It's nicknamed 'Fingerprint Island' for its miles of dry-stone walls that look like the whorled ridges of a human fingerprint. The tiny, uninhabited landmass in the Adriatic Sea was once an agricultural center. In the 19th century—the heyday of Croatian wine production— farmers from the nearest populated island built the winding walls on Bavljenac to protect olive trees and grapevines from the winds blowing in from the Adriatic.

island.jpg.a2484a4b2c22711e59feb8404e8b1f1d.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

Where's the 3 legged dog?

Well..Lance.... if you are referring to the old bloke  with an steel  /alloy leg     ...and his dog.."tripod''  ...they could be anywhere...:)

You might find this hard to believe, but New Zealand    has 15, 000  kms    of coastline...about 9, 300   miles for the blokes below   the border....I think  (our)  coastline is the ninth longest on the globe....behind the US of A....so there are a multitude of beaches ....some serenely  beautiful......some busily beautiful ....and some bloody treacherous...

The first time  my great friends from Utah  , came out....they would have been happy to spend their four weeks at one of our local beaches..!!!...especially the wife.....I don't think paddling in tthe sea had been on any adgenda  , prior to NZ

picture of a local beach.....half an hour  in a fizz boat...after    half hour from  home with boat and trailer..The sand is a  'golden colour  '.....no stone ..just soft sand....

Mike

1635975419655 beach.jpg

• Like 6

Omaha Nebraska stockyard. Read once. Read that they processed over 43,000 animals a day, had their own rail line, employed nearly the whole town, and had several packing plants. Would have been the thing to see while it was in operation. This picture according to Facebook post was in 1999 right before it was bulldozed. 

334038_429919757050102_561516110_o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Minor correction, SOUTH Omaha Stockyards.

I've got a picture of the sign , which spans the entire width of the street at the east end of the "L" street viaduct over the rail yard which says "World's Largest Livestock Market and Meat Packing Center".

I've seen trucks, which included a lot of straight trucks, backed up onto that bridge, waiting to unload, but my cousin says he had seen trucks backed up almost the west end of the South Omaha bridge across the Missouri River.

The unloading chutes at 33rd and L probably 50-60 (probably more) chutes for trucks to back into.

Along "Q" (IIRC) was the Armour packing house, and Swift, Wilson, and I believe Cudahy (sp), and the smaller ones were also in the same area, some behind the horse and mule barns on the north side of "L" street.

What I remember most about the stockyards and exchange building was, the walkways above the pens, the water dispensers, which went 'glug' and released a huge air bubble as you filled your paper cup, in the offices of the commission companies (My Dad used Maly), the cafeteria in the exchange building (although we usually ate at "Johnny's" (not the steakhouse, which is still in business), but the bar-restaurant on the north side of 'L', by the above mentioned horse and mule barns, and, lastly the "trough" urinals in the bathroom and the hoses where you could wash the manure off your bootsl.

Now the former exchange building has been turned into a Latin Cultural Center, even though they really had fk all to do with the stockyards and its history.

John Skarda, one of the buyers at Maly's, upon retirement went to Coldwater, KS, where him and his wife bought a  motel, and my Dad would then use him as an order buyer for his feeder calves.

Do not feel bad about calling it Omaha, as it also ****** me off when they refer to Offut, AFB as being in Omaha, when it really is in Bellevue, which is in Sarpy County.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

Minor correction, SOUTH Omaha Stockyards.

I've got a picture of the sign , which spans the entire width of the street at the east end of the "L" street viaduct over the rail yard which says "World's Largest Livestock Market and Meat Packing Center".

I've seen trucks, which included a lot of straight trucks, backed up onto that bridge, waiting to unload, but my cousin says he had seen trucks backed up almost the west end of the South Omaha bridge across the Missouri River.

The unloading chutes at 33rd and L probably 50-60 (probably more) chutes for trucks to back into.

Along "Q" (IIRC) was the Armour packing house, and Swift, Wilson, and I believe Cudahy (sp), and the smaller ones were also in the same area, some behind the horse and mule barns on the north side of "L" street.

What I remember most about the stockyards and exchange building was, the walkways above the pens, the water dispensers, which went 'glug' and released a huge air bubble as you filled your paper cup, in the offices of the commission companies (My Dad used Maly), the cafeteria in the exchange building (although we usually ate at "Johnny's" (not the steakhouse, which is still in business), but the bar-restaurant on the north side of 'L', by the above mentioned horse and mule barns, and, lastly the "trough" urinals in the bathroom and the hoses where you could wash the manure off your bootsl.

Now the former exchange building has been turned into a Latin Cultural Center, even though they really had fk all to do with the stockyards and its history.

John Skarda, one of the buyers at Maly's, upon retirement went to Coldwater, KS, where him and his wife bought a  motel, and my Dad would then use him as an order buyer for his feeder calves.

Do not feel bad about calling it Omaha, as it also ****** me off when they refer to Offut, AFB as being in Omaha, when it really is in Bellevue, which is in Sarpy County.

Why was it shut down?

A big part of the stockyards closing is consolidation of the packing industry. Four companies Tyson, JBS, Cargill, and National Beef Packing process 85% of the cattle. Currently JBS owned and controlled from Brazil wants to buy Tyson. They do not compete with each other buying kill ready cattle at auction. They make deals at the big feedlots, or own feedlots. Most feeders end up in long term deals which are better for the packers than the feeders. There is a base price and a formula to get extra on the grade and yield, which is how much extra fat and bone plus some other things.

Livestock auctions are disappearing at about the same rate as farms. A large one in St. Joseph Missouri closed some time this year after 130 some years.

💥 Please no comment about the buying of Tyson by JBS.💢 It needs comment but that is political so please just let it be on this board. 🙏

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, superih said:

Why was it shut down?

I think that the time when farmers stopped feeding cattle and hogs led to the closure of the true stockyards, and the centralized packing houses. Chicago, Sioux City, Kansas City, Omaha were probably the best known back in 'the day', and I would say began their decline in the early to mid 70's.

You had "stockyards" in Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Denver, Ft. Worth, and God only knows how many other cities, but, when the huge major feeders like Montfort, JBS, Seaboard (?) began building yards up in Western Kansas, Southwestern Nebraska, Eastern Colorado, and the Texas and Oklahoma Panhandles with capacities in the tens of thousands of head of cattle and hogs, the packers moved closer to the supply.

IBP was one of the few that didn't make the cut, as I know their packing house in Denison, IA closed many years ago, although the Farmland hog kill is still open, the same fate occurred to Montfort, whose yard in Kuner, CO, which once was the world's largest (they had a visitor's viewing tower to view the number of the pens) I was told that Dodge City has 5 packing houses, but given the number of feedyards and the capacity of each, and the proximity to the slaughter houses, the haul is but a few tens of miles, instead of like those farmers in Western Iowa that would ship their livestock to Chicago, (why, I don't know)

I know that JBS, which is Brazilian owned, has their own feedyards, one of which is the former Montfort yard at Kuner, and another at Lamar, CO, and Cactus Feeders at Cactus, TX is probably owned by the packing house in Cactus, which I believe is SWIFT, if the emblems on the employee shuttle buses that run up and down US 287 from Amarillo are to be believed.

It used to be there were more than a few custom feeders out west of Omaha, now the only two that I can name are Timmermann's and, if they are still in business, Foxley's at Meade.

BTW, is the LH lane on the interstate still known as "The Montfort Lane"?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Omaha Nebraska stockyard. Read once. Read that they processed over 43,000 animals a day, had their own rail line, employed nearly the whole town, and had several packing plants. Would have been the thing to see while it was in operation. This picture according to Facebook post was in 1999 right before it was bulldozed. 

334038_429919757050102_561516110_o.jpg

That reminds me of a visit to Fort Worth a few years ago. The ‘stockyards’ has been turned into a tourist trap and they kept a few pens but most is gone. I was very disappointed to find the museum there closed. Finally walked into Billy Bobs, the large bar/honky tonk and in a back room there was a picture of the stockyards from I believe the 1940s that showed the massive size from those days. 

• Like 2

While I was posting pics last night I saw this one of me and put it as my Home Screen photo, after seeing it all day today I realized it was an awesome picture, my friend who took the pic is Ian Helmes (initials are IH), it was taken this July on the first tour my 200S trike had done in years 

5A7FBBF9-2EA9-46DA-A12B-4C4E38B5241A.thumb.jpeg.6e2690d12c14560dc156316f0371dc48.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, DT Fan said:

We had a three inch like that at Maytag, dull as a hoe! I ground on it for a looooong time, wasn't perfect when I was done but it would drill. We had a drill sharpener but this one was too big to fit!

1 1/4" is the biggest I have in the shop.

After that I go to hole saws😄

• Like 2