Sign in to follow this  
MBrown

Kitchen Cabinets

Where would be the best place to get some . I would like to get some to put above my gun bench. Any thoughts 

I’d go to Home Depot or Lowe’s for something like that

Yep, I agree with Seth. Or for used maybe try Facebook marketplace or Craigslist. 

• Thanks 1

watch the weight I have some in my gun room and I watch closely what I store in them.

Habitat gets used  cabinets in  

might check there

Mike

35 minutes ago, Doug in NY said:

watch the weight I have some in my gun room and I watch closely what I store in them.

i like the french cleat method - those seem to be very sturdy - but i presume you are meaning cheap cabinets that are structurally inferior? 

2o1t23.jpg.105daa3faf781a140d01b5ee3ef676e4.jpg

• Haha 3

I agree with Searcyfarms. French cleats are great for hanging cabinets and can carry a load. But, you can't mount the cabinet tight to the ceiling.

Check Craig's list. If you aren't particular, somebody is always selling used cabinets from remodels. 

Thanks guys . I'm not real picky just dont want to spend top dollar for these . 

Being a glutton for punishment and cheap, I build my own.  nothing chintzy  3/4 inch maple plywood , best grade of rollers from lowes, ripped 2x4's for the corners, glued and screwed.  Was less than #500 to do the kitchen one 12 foot unit, 0ne six foot unit and a two footer that went between the stove and fridge. door edges are 30 degree beveled.  Had help, A 12 foot cabinet is heavy even without the drawers.  House they went in came with a commercial set.  Particle board, fiber board, and held together with staples.  Didn't survive only a few years..what I built is similar to what is in our farm house,  I'm 71 they are far older than that.cab

I used some of the cheap(relatively) LOWES prefinished cabs in our bus to RV conversion.  Since they are going into a bus, I used 1/2 AC exterior  plywood, cut 4" wide and covered with polyurethane  and SS wood screws and bolts to link all the cabs together at kick-plate and upper and lower  rear they sit flat on the floor.  The doors and frames are fairly good the rest are particle board.  A 72" cab set with a 75" birch unfinished top cost about $800. Many hours sorting out how and where and mounting. These are floor cabs,  a wall cab is much cheaper, especially when no counter top or drawers/sink required.  I deliberately wanted it to look like a kitchen because I have to convince a DMV inspector that a GILLIG transit is indeed destined to be a motor home so it can be titled and registered as an RV and driven without a commercial license. This GILLIG has air brakes and 30,000# GVW. cabinets-installed.jpg.31dfce4ee5c0b2ddb77c5e0d93b53b11.jpgThe picture shows the inductive cook top and the sink.  This project is a $$ and time pit.  Motif is a cabin in the woods that looks like a city bus.

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

Make some! 

5C2CE39A-F0DC-43D1-A550-D3D25130BBA2.jpeg

1A00C3EB-2CD7-4DB0-B62B-5390D398812C.jpeg

Not a horrible idea. But just dont have the time or motivation at the moment lol 

27 minutes ago, MBrown said:

Not a horrible idea. But just dont have the time or motivation at the moment lol 

If you got time to go and buy cabinets than you got time to make some. It’s not rocket science. These are just pine boards screwed together. Probably close to 30 years old now? 

1 hour ago, oleman said:

I used some of the cheap(relatively) LOWES prefinished cabs in our bus to RV conversion.  Since they are going into a bus, I used 1/2 AC exterior  plywood, cut 4" wide and covered with polyurethane  and SS wood screws and bolts to link all the cabs together at kick-plate and upper and lower  rear they sit flat on the floor.  The doors and frames are fairly good the rest are particle board.  A 72" cab set with a 75" birch unfinished top cost about $800. Many hours sorting out how and where and mounting. These are floor cabs,  a wall cab is much cheaper, especially when no counter top or drawers/sink required.  I deliberately wanted it to look like a kitchen because I have to convince a DMV inspector that a GILLIG transit is indeed destined to be a motor home so it can be titled and registered as an RV and driven without a commercial license. This GILLIG has air brakes and 30,000# GVW. cabinets-installed.jpg.31dfce4ee5c0b2ddb77c5e0d93b53b11.jpgThe picture shows the inductive cook top and the sink.  This project is a $$ and time pit.  Motif is a cabin in the woods that looks like a city bus.

Did you remove any windows from the bus?

This needs a topic of its own!

22 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

If you got time to go and buy cabinets than you got time to make some. It’s not rocket science. These are just pine boards screwed together. Probably close to 30 years old now? 

Did you remove any windows from the bus?

This needs a topic of its own!

No, up-front I determined not to modify the bus in anyway that would change it's outside appearance.  The windows are deeply tinted so the Key West Florida sun (the bus was initially in the Key West Transit District from  2001) would not be too brutal.  I intend to have very dense curtains in the sleeping area in the rear of the bus. The full height shower will have a decorative rear panel for obscuring the outside view and the area will have the dense curtains.  This GILLIG is a shorter102" wide 30' model powered by a Cummins ISC 8.3 engine with a 4 speed OD German Voith automatic and a 5.13 Mediator 23,000# pusher configuration.  After over a year of ownership there a few real problems on the basic bus. A rear axle seal is leaking and the GIANT AC compressor also has a leaking front seal.  For a novelty it still has a destination display on the front above the windshield. I have discovered that many truck garages do not like to work on buses because many do not have a bay large enough for the bus for locked overnight work.  ALSO by 2001 everything about this GILLIG is electronic,  as an example the operator request from the computer to turn on the windshield wipers or open the rear door or front door. Probably good for a Transit District but not something I really want, BUT upfront I also decided to keep all the electronics operational where it still has viability.  I am an old electronics/mechanical guy since the middle 50's and the bus is new enough that GILLIG still supports it in their system, or could be that Transit Buses make few changes.  

• Like 1