Red Power Edition 1086

For the Red Power Edition tractors, was there a certain run of them that can be tracked by serial number? Any dead giveaway's other than the decal? I've read up on a few of the archived posts but the jury seems to be out on a final conclusion.

I know there was a certain amount of those they made. Not sure on the number but I do believe they were made in 1979 only 

2 hours ago, IH766 said:

For the Red Power Edition tractors, was there a certain run of them that can be tracked by serial number? Any dead giveaway's other than the decal? I've read up on a few of the archived posts but the jury seems to be out on a final conclusion.

Usually they had red interior and the extra rear fender lights mounted on top

They were built in 1979 as stated above, and there was only one per dealer, the dealer got to Choose which model they could order.

I had the opportunity to buy an 886 red power edition at an auction a couple of years ago, but it sold for a little bit over my budget. There is also a 986 available for sale a couple of hours for me but I never had a chance to go and look at it and now it’s not advertised anymore.

• Sad 1

Radio with 8-track or cassette  player and a tape to tell you all the features of the tractor while you were demoing it. Introduction of cloth seats, rear fender lights, improved steps, sun visors, door pouches, carpet, and maybe more. Were they the 1st ones with the new shift levers ?

4 minutes ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

They were built in 1979 as stated above, and there was only one per dealer, the dealer got to Choose which model they could order.

I had the opportunity to buy an 886 red power edition at an auction a couple of years ago, but it sold for a little bit over my budget. There is also a 986 available for sale a couple of hours for me but I never had a chance to go and look at it and now it’s not advertised anymore.

My dealer got 2, I got the 14 & he kept the 10.

• Like 1

Each dealer could order one unit , they were 1979 models . My in-laws got the 1086 from our dealership  in NE Iowa and they had the maroon interior , cloth seat , same decals on the strips and the side panel was painted red and had the branding iron on the hood . Not sure if IH had these setup a bit on power but ours had 150 hp . They sold it when they retired to my nephew and my friend up here in MN , I was just working on it yesterday and it has 15,977  hrs , it’s had 2 ta’s and I overhauled it at 10,000 hours and replaced the complete seat and repainted the red , its 3 rd set of tires , been one darn good tractor and still worked perfect 👍😊 this is a picture of it from back in the day .

‘Danny

DCD62C81-5E1E-4421-A28B-76EECADD6A76.jpeg

• Like 7

Thanks guys, I just bought a 1086, rear fender lights, cloth seat with red interior as well as the door pockets, but the panels by the rad are painted white, however it was repainted. It may have just been optioned similar. I'll have to check for the 8 track when I get it home. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, IH766 said:

Thanks guys, I just bought a 1086, rear fender lights, cloth seat with red interior as well as the door pockets, but the panels by the rad are painted white, however it was repainted. It may have just been optioned similar. I'll have to check for the 8 track when I get it home. 

Even if it had all that stuff not for certain they were red power editions unless you can tell from factory paint. Dads buddy had a red power 1586 he bought with engine leaking water. He sold it after changing sleeve  o rings so there was any model of them made as red power 

15 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Even if it had all that stuff not for certain they were red power editions unless you can tell from factory paint. Dads buddy had a red power 1586 he bought with engine leaking water. He sold it after changing sleeve  o rings so there was any model of them made as red power 

For sure, that's why I was curious if there was a set of serial numbers to go off of. I'm thinking it most likely was just a regular 1086 with a few options added.

Still original paint but looking pretty bad. We bought it in 1998. It had the 8 track player and burgundy interior.

EAA8DE44-C005-460A-B6AE-7901FEC71E32.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

My 1979 1486 has all the options listed above,but was never a demo. Just well optioned. 

Same.  Our 1486 had all those options, including maroon carpet, etc, but the white side panels.  Got it 1yo in 1980.

Working on a 1486 range trans. cover right now and it has the burgundy interior, seat, carpet, door pockets but it has white radiator side covers.1200 plus hours

So to speak the red interior is a dead give away for the red power version? We have a 1586 mfwd that has both the branding iron and red power circle on it. Stickers look to be original with the paint.

6 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

So to speak the red interior is a dead give away for the red power version? We have a 1586 mfwd that has both the branding iron and red power circle on it. Stickers look to be original with the paint.

I believe all the features I listed in my earlier post and maybe more were introduced with the Red Power program. After that these features were either standard, such as step and shift lever updates, or new options available such as rear fender lights and a deluxe cab option. That said, it seems like almost all the 86s sold in our area after my red power 14 had rear fender lights even though it seems like they were optional going forward, but I could be wrong.  So yes after the Red Powers were out you could order a new 79 that would be identicle to a red power except the red side panels, decals, the tape describing the new features, and maybe [ not sure on these 2 ] the sun visors and red interior.  I would assume that all the Red Powers would have had the new features, standard and optional, that were being introduced. That was their purpose I suppose, to show these off to farmers in this demo program. Mine was not demoed when I got it, but the dealer asked if I would allow them to use it at their " Red Power Showdown" plowing wheat stubble in August 79. I took delivery in March 79 shortly after the annual dealer open house, it set in the shop on display to view as we ate pancakes & sausage. It had a sign on it stating it was sold to me, I'm sure as a 19 yr old I had quite the "attitude" that day. The 80s cured that. I have a letter from the dealer thanking me for demoing it and they will be contacting me soon to sell me one. I think probly a technicality for IH policy as the tractor was already mine. They probly sent them to the guys who plowed with it at "Red Power Showdown Days" later as well. It would be very easy to replicate a red power by just repainting a well equipped one and putting the decals on.

We need Dr. Evil to chime in on this subject!  I recall him saying that they ordered X number of decal kits to build X number of tractors, but they ended up having to order more because the decals for the red power and the IH branding iron was so popular around the assembly plant that everybody’s toolbox and forklift had the decals on them. 

I recall reading on this forum that IH was to build one tractor for each dealer, The dealer could choose whatever model they wanted. 

The cab interior on the red power 86 series was the same interior as the 2+2s Standard interior.  Here is a picture from the buyers guide. C21EAD94-1D04-4B7A-9D73-97E3CDACB00A.thumb.jpeg.c44b9aeba819f9e92572181b8f5d2094.jpeg

A couple of years ago this 886 was at an auction, I really wanted to buy it but it sold for a little more than what I could afford. 3B68CE3C-1185-4C2D-BA38-7B8AF7C13555.thumb.jpeg.a9c27d9745b275e69fde0a3699704912.jpeg

6D861037-87FF-4EAE-8B86-ACFE4134847E.thumb.jpeg.5866af93b5b8b604d67dcd229a9d1f91.jpeg

I imagine some dealers would’ve ordered the tractors with the optional interior and the other options, then what would stop them from painting the side panels red and then putting the red power and branding iron decals on them and selling them. I have seen a couple of 86 series with the white side panels and the red power decal and branding irons on them.