5488 range trans

89vmax

I had my range worked on in my 54, every thing gone through. It is harder to shift cold now than before. My 5288 has 6800 hrs, and goes right in cold. My 5088 has never been apart and goes in gear hard when cold. I don't know if you will solve your problem or not. I would sure want to know if it needs tore down before you do it and have the same problem 

Are you aware of the service bulletin IH had out for the earlier S/N 88's for a clutch drag problem? It involved changing the clutch pedal shaft/arm to one with a longer lever on it where the cable attached to it. This change gave the master clutch spool more travel to dump the clutch pressure. Also the bulletin required a different spool in the lube valve that sent less lube oil to the clutch when it was released. Usually these items only caused clutch drag with very cold oil. 

That bulletin is #S-4763 and it came out in June 1984. Any Case-IH dealer should be able to print it for you.

On 4/28/2020 at 9:57 PM, pirlbeck said:

Are you aware of the service bulletin IH had out for the earlier S/N 88's for a clutch drag problem? It involved changing the clutch pedal shaft/arm to one with a longer lever on it where the cable attached to it. This change gave the master clutch spool more travel to dump the clutch pressure. Also the bulletin required a different spool in the lube valve that sent less lube oil to the clutch when it was released. Usually these items only caused clutch drag with very cold oil. 

That bulletin is #S-4763 and it came out in June 1984. Any Case-IH dealer should be able to print it for you.

Also see S-4372 that addresses clutch adjustment and S-4899, clutch pivot sticking.

7 hours ago, 88power said:

we have 8 5x88's and most of them if its under 35 degrees they have to warm up a little after that they are fine

8 of them?   That deserves a line up and photos!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IHC5488 said:

8 of them?   That deserves a line up and photos!!

I can't get all of them in one spot at once right now we have them on 4 different farms in 4 different county's

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delta88 said:

Those look good. Do you restore them yourself?

These were all like this when we got them but by far the nicest one's we have have been the two 5088's Mike completely redone one we got from him and another we sent to him. Outta 8 Mike has turned wrenches on 7 and when the time comes he will get the last one. When it comes to transmissions they go to him and whatever else they need while he has them. I try to keep up with everything else, I've yet to paint one but since Mike doesn't anymore I'm gonna try the next time we need one.