Restored Sears Buzz Saw

WyattFarmall

1 hour ago, kevinj said:

It looks nice but it did have a blade guard when new.

So it said 1000 rpm max when you cleaned it up???

I will have to run the numbers and see where i run mine.

That was the only word I couldn’t make out, but when I looked into it someone else has a Sears buzz saw that said 1000 so thats what I went with. 

43 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

I wonder if any buzz saws had blade guards before the age of OSHA. Might be a good idea to put one on, though. So, that's got babbit bearings?

It did have a guard but I couldn’t find one and I can still use it without one. I’m not sure what kind of bearings it has, because they are pressed into the tube. I’m assuming more modern ball bearings.

9 hours ago, WyattFarmall said:

That was the only word I couldn’t make out, but when I looked into it someone else has a Sears buzz saw that said 1000 so thats what I went with. 

It did have a guard but I couldn’t find one and I can still use it without one. I’m not sure what kind of bearings it has, because they are pressed into the tube. I’m assuming more modern ball bearings.

I believe they are tapered rollers.

Are yours loose???

I made the guard from scratch as the original amounted to a bike fender.

Any sheet metal shop can cut the 16GA to the shape and size you want, weld it up then the fab a simple frame.

2 hours ago, kevinj said:

I believe they are tapered rollers.

Are yours loose???

I made the guard from scratch as the original amounted to a bike fender.

Any sheet metal shop can cut the 16GA to the shape and size you want, weld it up then the fab a simple frame.

The bearings are pretty solid, there is zero sound or vibration when I spin the arbor. I might look into making a guard for mine.