Must be a heck of a mail box

One of my uncles has a house that is on a curve. After the snow plow snapped off his mailbox a number of times he replaced the post with a railroad tie. Since then it has been responsible for breaking the wing blade off of the snow plow truck a number of times.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

That or peeps have a problem w/ depth perception.  

• Like 1

For years we’ve had trouble keeping a mailbox post in the ground, either the snowplow would break it off or people would run into it with their cars. 

So I decided to use a piece of 10 inch H beam at least 6 feet in the ground, not cemented or anything so it would at least have some give if somebody hit it. 

It finally happened in September 2015 when a car went off the road at our laneway and hit the mail box... it happened sometime in the night so I didn’t see the damage to the car but I could see many pieces of the car was left behind and the tow truck tracks they probably had to lift the car off the mailbox post.

The next day the police stop by with a file number so we could claim for damages from the insurance company, I don’t even bother wasting my time trying to collect money for something like that!

I had posted pictures here when it happened, here are the pictures

91A273E1-BC8F-4D72-BDAB-E82D01411801.jpeg

850C43C1-9604-410A-B14C-FB88B8A561E8.jpeg

533568E4-9D40-482F-A35C-45488AE36B63.jpeg

• Haha 2

Yup, I too got tired of having the plows taking my box out. Sooo, I buried a railroad tie and put up a steel plate to stop  the snow flying at 50 mph from crushing the box years ago

Then one year when one of the state plows flipped from the poor road conditions, they decided to resurface the highway, when they came to my box they promptly took it out and refused to put it back in, after a few discussions with them I find it was a liability for them to leave it that way, incase someone hit it,  no sheer facter.  It worked great while it lasted

Mark

• Like 1

Yes, once some guy kept running over my Parents and neighbors  mailbox's with his Jeep. After the third time they were getting a bit perturbed. So I dug a good hole and put in a 4" x 6 foot piece of heavy pipe and filled the hole with about 5 bags of Sakrete. Mounted the mailbox, a few months later my Mother reported that the mailbox was fine but there were tire tracks and some pieces of a car scattered about.

• Like 1

Damn drunk non english speaking mail woman we have here keeps running into mine and never shuts the lid! ---more mail in the road ditch than in the box! ---Govt. wont fire her cause she is an ILLEGAL! ---figure that one out!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When I lived in Burnaby there obviously were no mailboxes, but of course I heard of the game “ mailbox baseball” didn’t really pay much attention to it until we moved out to the farmlands at the border, every box is on a forward angle smashed in on the right hand side, there’s a couple that use railroad track or 4” black pipe for the base but the box is still dented.

• Like 1

Where I grew up our neighbor had some kids that didn’t like his kids at school so they would drive by and smash his mail box or put a m80 in it. He went through a few boxes before he decided to make one out of 1/2” plate and a 6” pipe down in the ground 6’ and cemented in. It looked just like a regular white tin mailbox. He said he brought out a chair on his front porch and waited several days to see the kids drive down the road with one kid hanging out of the passenger window wielding a bat. The kid hit the box straight on he said and the bat bounced back and busted out the back window and almost pulled the kid out of the front door window. He said it was worth it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 clowns I grew up,  thought it was cool to drive over mail boxes with their truck.  Did it thru couple years of high school on stretch of high way about 20 miles long.   One day after lunch time of a school day,  the pair of them had bruises & cuts on their faces.  Turned out one of the farmers had enough,  he cemented a steel tube in the ground & filled it also.  Never saw that truck again as it drove the grill into the engine.  Funny,  27 years later never been a mail box run over on that stretch of high way.  Nothing was said or done to them,  justice finally caught them. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Mtaman said:

In ohio it is illegal to put in large posts or barriers, they have to be breakaway type, mostly because drivers can't stay between the lines

Not just Ohio, Federal law, the entire country.

(My father was a postmaster)

• Like 2

What was he on!!!! lol!!

• Like 1

Looking at the picture of that truck, everyone blamed the driver, but there were some videos on the news a few months ago of some3 wond storms blowing trucks over on their side.  I wonder if that might be one of them.  It dos not appear to have been moving very fast when it happened.

• Like 1
On 4/26/2020 at 5:47 PM, redturbo said:

2 clowns I grew up,  thought it was cool to drive over mail boxes with their truck.  Did it thru couple years of high school on stretch of high way about 20 miles long.   One day after lunch time of a school day,  the pair of them had bruises & cuts on their faces.  Turned out one of the farmers had enough,  he cemented a steel tube in the ground & filled it also.  Never saw that truck again as it drove the grill into the engine.  Funny,  27 years later never been a mail box run over on that stretch of high way.  Nothing was said or done to them,  justice finally caught them. 

Guy I went to high school with loved to do that. He got our neighbors box a half dozen times. Old John was tired of it and put in a chunk of RR track. Ole buddy hit it one night and totaled his grandpas farm truck. Didn't have no trouble with mail boxes after that.

Yea, Tilla is right. Federal offense to destroy a mailbox. Plus if you put one in in such a manner that someone is injured if they hit you are liable for the injuries. Back when John put that one in nobody was sue happy. Today is another story.

Rick

• Like 2

I think a person could set a mailbox on a model football goalpost and say he's a football fan. Or on a giant coil spring. Or the old cream can. And there are some heavy-gauge mailboxes available.

• Like 1

Have a buddy that happened to him all the time. He finally built a post and box out of heavy gauge stainless. Went out one day to get the mail and found a ball bat in a couple different pieces. Never had that problem again.

• Like 1

Grandpa had trouble with kids smashing his mailbox.  He finally carried it up to the shop. Put a clay farm tile in the center and filled the void with sackrete. Replaced it on the wooden pole.  His bedroom was close to the road. One night he heard the pickup come roaring up, heard a scream before it drove off.  Found pieces of baseball bat in the ditch. He always figured someone broke an arm.  The vandalism stopped!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had issues with moms years ago read on here of buying large box and cementing a smaller box inside.  I did just that, I even ran it by the township supervisor and although this is illegal he said a judge would never hold the home owner liable.  The box is so heavy I had to cement fill the steel square tube pole to keep it from wobbling.  I did not cement it in the ground as I figured that is the break away.  Its been up for almost 20 years.  Its been up so long it has to be painted once.  There are small dents from kids attemting to beat on but that is rare now days.

Scott

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 460 said:

Had issues with moms years ago read on here of buying large box and cementing a smaller box inside. 

Yeah, I seen a picture of that on the Internet.

• Like 1