Jump to content
ChrisNY

Plowing pics

Recommended Posts

These were taken April 6, being all no-till now don’t want to get rusty with plowing skills so took the 1456 and 700 plows over to neighbors and helped him do a little plowing. Fixed a few ruts around with field cultivator while out. Been a decent spring here so far other than cold, very dry for now at least. New seedings are all in, probably get rolling on corn and beans this coming week weather permitting.7AFE6922-15BB-46AD-B9C5-F129D3E0FAC2.thumb.jpeg.36c015982b4e4be3dfc6ef6ee85f5290.jpeg

C30ACFC1-C750-48BA-9765-28C4FAF4D70D.jpeg

2DD761F1-7C49-42EA-AE9D-BA62760CE565.jpeg

37E79D29-FD4B-4495-AE5F-E0ACE32216BC.jpeg

8806E356-A1FE-4939-8688-72A55B1A13EF.jpeg

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Pics!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How wide is the field cultivator?

How come your plows are trailer type and not semi-mounted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

How wide is the field cultivator?

How come your plows are trailer type and not semi-mounted?

22’

I like trailer plows better than semi-mount. More versatile as I can pull with bareback tractor like my 4386.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, never saw a late series 700 in a 6 btm. Thought a 7 was the smallest, only 7 & 8s around here. There were a handful of 770 series 6 & 5 btm around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i had a 700 trialer plow just like that only a 5 bottom, had a 700 semi mount before that and swore i'd never have a semi mount after getting the trailer plow, so much easier to set and maintain a straight furrow on sidehills especially with the onland hitch

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

i had a 700 trialer plow just like that only a 5 bottom, had a 700 semi mount before that and swore i'd never have a semi mount after getting the trailer plow, so much easier to set and maintain a straight furrow on sidehills especially with the onland hitch

interesting comment. I have a 6 bottom 700 semimount in-furrow hitch, and a 6 bottom 720 onland hitch semimount. both behind 3588s. I would much rather run the in furrow. harder to keep the spacing with the onland hitch.

100_1891.thumb.JPG.6417d7ae9514ebee03318f50f85c5756.JPG

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never ran an onland hitch plow.  Only mounted and semi mounted.  I can't imagine the land hitch being easier.  I woud like to try one though.  I would like to run a roll over also. Just to say I did it.  

Nice pics guys! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up with a 710 6x16” on-land hitched plow and thought that in-furrow hitches were wonky because on-land was all that I knew.

We pulled the 710 with a 4430, but previously we had pulled it with a 3020.  With duals!  That poor tractor and its axle bearings.....

Now that I farm clay ground with ridiculously high draft numbers, as opposed to the easy pulling sandy loam that I grew up on, I pull my 735 6 bottom with a 1586.  Even closed down to 14” the 1586 will stand up in a hard pull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty straight furrows !  Your dad would proud of you all ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris, I wish my 1456 shined like yours! the 1456 and the 826 hydro would be the last 2 of my work tractors I would sell. they are so nice to run.

I'm surprised you have dried out so well up there. looks good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20200201_142333[565].jpg

20200201_142352[564].jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like in furrow too......had a 700 7-16 with a semi-mount onland hitch.  Pulled it with the 7130, I had a drop chain on it to keep spacing.  A forum member plowed with it the most and did a great job, I only ran it acouple rounds the entire time it was here, I could never keep spacing right with it even with the drop, liked the in furrow a lot better so I always ran that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got an in furrow rollover plow and now that I’ve got auto steer I really wish I had an on land plow. Sitting off canter down in the furrow all day really wears me out for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I like in furrow too......had a 700 7-16 with a semi-mount onland hitch.  Pulled it with the 7130, I had a drop chain on it to keep spacing.  A forum member plowed with it the most and did a great job, I only ran it acouple rounds the entire time it was here, I could never keep spacing right with it even with the drop, liked the in furrow a lot better so I always ran that.  

The 700 semi-mount onland is a unique animal. I know of no other semi-mount onland plow that did not have a front furrow wheel. In our area with steep hills it was a tough plow to maintain control of. There was negative weight on the left 3pt hitch arm and annually we would replace the top right arm on the rockshaft on the 856 due to the excessive weight bending it. Probly not an issue with cat 3 hitches. When the 710 came with the front furrow wheel all those problems went away. Even though the 710 onland was semi-mount, it handled and operated more like a trailing plow, minimal wt transfer to tractor, long way back to front btm, etc. Much easier to be where you needed to be on a steep side hill as the tail was no longer wagging the dog like the 700 onland semi-mount did. The 710/720 onlands felt very much like the 700 trailing when operating.  Hijacking a little here, but has anyone here owned, used, or seen a 700 semi-mount with the drawbar hitch for non 3pt equipped tractors ?  they were all onland I believe and did have a front furrow wheel, the front cylinder pushed the tongue down and used something similar to a ball hitch. There is pictures in my 700 semi-mount owners manual, I have never seen one other than the pictures in the manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZG6E said:

I’ve got an in furrow rollover plow and now that I’ve got auto steer I really wish I had an on land plow. Sitting off canter down in the furrow all day really wears me out for some reason. 

You plow too deep.😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

The 700 semi-mount onland is a unique animal. I know of no other semi-mount onland plow that did not have a front furrow wheel. In our area with steep hills it was a tough plow to maintain control of. There was negative weight on the left 3pt hitch arm and annually we would replace the top right arm on the rockshaft on the 856 due to the excessive weight bending it. Probly not an issue with cat 3 hitches. When the 710 came with the front furrow wheel all those problems went away. Even though the 710 onland was semi-mount, it handled and operated more like a trailing plow, minimal wt transfer to tractor, long way back to front btm, etc. Much easier to be where you needed to be on a steep side hill as the tail was no longer wagging the dog like the 700 onland semi-mount did. The 710/720 onlands felt very much like the 700 trailing when operating.  Hijacking a little here, but has anyone here owned, used, or seen a 700 semi-mount with the drawbar hitch for non 3pt equipped tractors ?  they were all onland I believe and did have a front furrow wheel, the front cylinder pushed the tongue down and used something similar to a ball hitch. There is pictures in my 700 semi-mount owners manual, I have never seen one other than the pictures in the manual.

I don't know if it was originally 6-16 with an onland hitch or not, but it sure looked like the beam extension for the rear bottom was added on, maybe they were like that from the factory?  Was too heavy for the tail wheel which wasn't built any heavier than the smaller ones, broke that one day crossing a dead furrow and we welded it, I can't remember if we strengthened it at all or not.  Other than that it worked good and pulled straight................well, as long as I wasn't running it.  I was more content running a set of 549 Whites in furrow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plowed for years with in-furrow plows: trailer, mounted, & semi mounted. Currently have a 7x16 720 semi- mount onland & a 7 /8 x16 700 on land trailer.  The semi-mount onland is definitely the hardest to run , and hardest to keep a straight furrow. Any time front of tractor moves the rear of plow moves farther the other way. Auto steer helps.  With the 700 you you can plow a straight furrow across a 1/2 mile long field even without auto steer. I have curvature of the spine which I attribute to using in-furrow plows for close to 50 yrs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 9:10 PM, ChrisNY said:

These were taken April 6, being all no-till now don’t want to get rusty with plowing skills so took the 1456 and 700 plows over to neighbors and helped him do a little plowing. Fixed a few ruts around with field cultivator while out. Been a decent spring here so far other than cold, very dry for now at least. New seedings are all in, probably get rolling on corn and beans this coming week weather permitting.7AFE6922-15BB-46AD-B9C5-F129D3E0FAC2.thumb.jpeg.36c015982b4e4be3dfc6ef6ee85f5290.jpeg

C30ACFC1-C750-48BA-9765-28C4FAF4D70D.jpeg

2DD761F1-7C49-42EA-AE9D-BA62760CE565.jpeg

37E79D29-FD4B-4495-AE5F-E0ACE32216BC.jpeg

8806E356-A1FE-4939-8688-72A55B1A13EF.jpeg

EVERYONE !! TAKE NOTE!!! TIRES ARE DIRTY!!!!!!!!!!    LOL,LOL...………...…… not often seen with this apparatus from Henderson NY...…….

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2020 at 7:00 AM, 1586 Jeff said:

I grew up with a 710 6x16” on-land hitched plow and thought that in-furrow hitches were wonky because on-land was all that I knew.

We pulled the 710 with a 4430, but previously we had pulled it with a 3020.  With duals!  That poor tractor and its axle bearings.....

Now that I farm clay ground with ridiculously high draft numbers, as opposed to the easy pulling sandy loam that I grew up on, I pull my 735 6 bottom with a 1586.  Even closed down to 14” the 1586 will stand up in a hard pull.

Gotta love that clay ground🙄

Stood my 1850 straight up plowing clay, I reached down and shut it off because I thought it was going to go over on me. Got it back down, pulled the plows up and went home for the day! My ass couldn’t pucker anymore that day😖

This was with 4 bottoms. Plow at night and the top of the muffler would be glowing! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, cwinn said:

EVERYONE !! TAKE NOTE!!! TIRES ARE DIRTY!!!!!!!!!!    LOL,LOL...………...…… not often seen with this apparatus from Henderson NY...…….

maybe Chris took it to the car wash after....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

maybe Chris took it to the car wash after....

Nope still dirty, Lol. It did get a quick hosing off though🤷🏻‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2020 at 9:23 AM, ny bill o said:

Chris, I wish my 1456 shined like yours! the 1456 and the 826 hydro would be the last 2 of my work tractors I would sell. they are so nice to run.

I'm surprised you have dried out so well up there. looks good!

Very dry here, seedings are all finished and a few guys been slamming in some corn the last couple days. We will probably start corn and beans after this rain moves through, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cwinn said:

EVERYONE !! TAKE NOTE!!! TIRES ARE DIRTY!!!!!!!!!!    LOL,LOL...………...…… not often seen with this apparatus from Henderson NY...…….

 

56 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

maybe Chris took it to the car wash after....

 

3 minutes ago, ChrisNY said:

Nope still dirty, Lol. It did get a quick hosing off though🤷🏻‍♂️

The horror, the horror!!!

Dirty tires?

I would only dream of having a tractor that looked that nice.  Dirty tires or not!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

🙄

Stood my 1850 straight up plowing clay, I reached down and shut it off because I thought it was going to go over on me. Got it back down, pulled the plows up and went home for the day! My ass couldn’t pucker anymore that day😖

This was with 4 bottoms. Plow at night and the top of the muffler would be glowing! 

BTO I worked for bought another 160 about 1971/'72. Two 80's across the road from each other. East one was as flat & level piece a ground anywhere. The west 80 had the house & buildings, was divided up into 5 irregularly shaped pastures. Boss's Dad worked for a month to remove all the fence. I rotary mowed the pastures the year before, was down in 2nd & 3rd gear with a 12 ft rotary with a 4020.  So, the next year I'm plowing. One day I'm using the old 4020 gas he got with the farm, WFE, the two starter weights plus 2 slabs, 340# on the front. Full tank of gas running in 3rd gear, burned 2 tanks of gas, did about 20 acres. Next day, I get my favorite tractor, the new NFE side console 4020D. I make about two rounds, 4th gear worked nice, I start spinning out going up this one tough clay hill, I'm slowed to a crawl, tap the 3-pt lever to shallow up the plow, and the hitch lifting sucks the rear tires into the ground really hard, and the frt end really goes UP,  and keeps going up! Think the frt wheels are around 5 ft off the ground when I get my feet on the clutch & brakes. Slowly ease the brakes off and let the frt end down slowly, when they're about a foot off the ground the plow comes out of the ground, all tires on the ground, raise the plow, turn around and the gas 4020 is sitting behind the barn, I make a beeline to it, stop nose-to-nose, grab the 12" Crescent wrench out of the tool box and in about 5 minutes I had 340# off the gas tractor and ON the NFE diesel. I would have liked another 85 or 170# but I had enough. Going up that hill, then pulling the frt wheels another five feet up It sure seemed like I was standing straight up!

We had 3-4 frt weights and at least a set of rear wheel weights on the 4010 when we bought it. Think Dad sold them. I don't think it even had fluid, we ran stuff rather light.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...