Vanstractors

IH To Pioneer

are you talking couplers? I use the pioneer brand conversions

35 minutes ago, Vanstractors said:

Have a few sets  of IH Valves would like to change to Pioneer.Who you like ?Thank You !!! 

On what?  What type of coupler?  The block style, or just the pipe threaded ones?  Not enough info for a good reply. 

For so many that are switching from 66 IH style couplers why don't I see the male ends thrown in buckets at auctions I could use a few more.

I don't know what people have against the adapters, which are only $20 each or $40 per remote vs $180 for the conversion. They've served us well for 40 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I don't know what people have against the adapters, which are only $20 each or $40 per remote vs $180 for the conversion. They've served us well for 40 years.

Yes & yes. Or just swap the tip on the implement if all your tractors have IH couplers. 

58 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Adapters put another ball check valve in the system. (Just like every coupler has.)  These are actually small restrictions, and will cause more heat.  They are also another possible failure point.  They tend to leak. Overall they are a pain in the butt and can cause problems.  If they work fine for you that's great, but as a general rule, they give trouble.  Especially in higher flow hydraulic machines.  Besides, why wouldn't you want all the equipment to match? Makes life easier.

My problem with the adapters is we tend to loose them... And sometimes they don't work right.

II have some ih to jd adapters if anyone needs some!

TThx-Ace

Adapters are a PITA.............switch it and end the aggrivation.  They are leaking, lost, or never where you need them when you need them.  I don't know what is the fascination with keeping them.  I rebuilt tons of Deere SCV's and the guys all want to keep the Deere females when their equipment is all ISO.............So they spend more money to keep them Deere as its actually cheaper to switch them over, and then they run adapters.............Makes no sense to me at all.

• Like 1

The old deere couplers and the Large tip IH couplers are junk in my books I have both makes and I couldn't wait to get them all changed over and standardized it costs a little more up-front but alot less aggravation and cheaper in the long run

I just bought 2 sets of the pioneer brand from Sloan in February. They were $145 each. 

Or.....you could do what I did until I got a tractor that was newer and no longer had IH couplers.   I kept the IH couplers on the #1 valve, and had adapters on #2.   All my implements had IH tips on the main lift hoses, and Pioneer on the fold hoses.   WHY would anyone do that....well....you never got the hoses mixed up!   The adapters leak/restrict didn't matter much on the rarely used fold/auxiliary functions, and The IH tips worked just fine for the lift circuit.   I always liked the IH tips, easy to plug in & release compared to Pioneer.  

Then I bought a JD (gasp) 7410 tractor, and a CIH 9230....and had to go straight Pioneer.   Frankly, plugging the hoses into the newer blocks is a absolute PAIN, have to be perfectly aligned and shove straight in HARD....then make sure they are fully in....and even then sometimes they pop out when you pull the lever.   The old IH with the latch lever was much easier.

2 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Or.....you could do what I did until I got a tractor that was newer and no longer had IH couplers.   I kept the IH couplers on the #1 valve, and had adapters on #2.   All my implements had IH tips on the main lift hoses, and Pioneer on the fold hoses.   WHY would anyone do that....well....you never got the hoses mixed up!   The adapters leak/restrict didn't matter much on the rarely used fold/auxiliary functions, and The IH tips worked just fine for the lift circuit.   I always liked the IH tips, easy to plug in & release compared to Pioneer.  

Then I bought a JD (gasp) 7410 tractor, and a CIH 9230....and had to go straight Pioneer.   Frankly, plugging the hoses into the newer blocks is a absolute PAIN, have to be perfectly aligned and shove straight in HARD....then make sure they are fully in....and even then sometimes they pop out when you pull the lever.   The old IH with the latch lever was much easier.

How many engagement cams have you had to replace in the old lever style IH couplers ? all the ones in tractors  I owned  leaked like a sieve always making a mess when I went to ISO that uses the rubber covers that ended that problem completely now things stay neat and clean and I never have trouble pushing the tips in even implements still under pressure

46 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

How many engagement cams have you had to replace in the old lever style IH couplers ? all the ones in tractors  I owned  leaked like a sieve always making a mess when I went to ISO that uses the rubber covers that ended that problem completely now things stay neat and clean and I never have trouble pushing the tips in even implements still under pressure

In all the years we had the 1066, 1486, & 4386....I think we worked on 1 coupler body.   We also tried to keep the caps in them when not in use.    The JD has these deep sockets covered with a split rubber - and if you don't align the tip just right and shove in real hard, they don't go all the way in, or don't snap in place right.  Even when they seem to, sometimes they pop out.  

On the flip side of that, we never had a high hour tractor either....the IH's had 4-5K on them when I sold them....while the JD already had 4k on it when I bought it!   

Or maybe I just got lucky.

7 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

In all the years we had the 1066, 1486, & 4386....I think we worked on 1 coupler body.   We also tried to keep the caps in them when not in use.    The JD has these deep sockets covered with a split rubber - and if you don't align the tip just right and shove in real hard, they don't go all the way in, or don't snap in place right.  Even when they seem to, sometimes they pop out.  

On the flip side of that, we never had a high hour tractor either....the IH's had 4-5K on them when I sold them....while the JD already had 4k on it when I bought it!   

Or maybe I just got lucky.

If there was any Hydraulic back pressure on implements I always had to be very careful engaging the old lever style couplers so as not to break them cams inside those would break so frequently I would have several on hand those were a weak spot and also not fun to repair in a hurry

Have several sets of adapters and make do.Have had a couple issues .The reason for asking is restoring a 966 and both remotes have one side that's bad ,so have to do something .Tractor will only see use once in a while .This one has to be fixed rest just have to be changed as budget allows .Thank You for your replies !!!