Fence charger for poultry netting

I have ordered 168’ of electronet I plan to add at least one more section, maybe 2 . This is for my ducks, and I want to keep predators out and ducks in without hurting the ducks. Is a 5 mile charger enough? Do I want high or low impedance? My net is 42” 12 strand. I’m afraid of going too big and hurting my birds and too small and letting predators in. Any advice is appreciated 

Anything that hurts a predator will hurt a duck. 

3 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Anything that hurts a predator will hurt a duck. 

That’s my concern, I guess I don’t mind getting my ducks attention, I just don’t know where to draw the line. 

14 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

That’s my concern, I guess I don’t mind getting my ducks attention, I just don’t know where to draw the line. 

220v 😊

Maybe start it on a low voltage to sort of "train" the ducks to it? Once they've learned (if they're smart enough) then crank it up

• Like 1

Also are you going to be putting them in at night? Are large birds a concern? (Eagles, Hawks, etc.)

9 minutes ago, IH766 said:

Maybe start it on a low voltage to sort of "train" the ducks to it? Once they've learned (if they're smart enough) then crank it up

I can try something like that, however so far all I have managed to “train them” to do is eat peas. They aren’t real bright

2 minutes ago, IH766 said:

Also are you going to be putting them in at night? Are large birds a concern? (Eagles, Hawks, etc.)

Yes, hawks I am worried about, however short of not having ducks, there is little I can do about them eagles not so much

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I can try something like that, however so far all I have managed to “train them” to do is eat peas. They aren’t real bright

Yaa, we had some as kids I remember them being on the "slower" side. 

If birds are a concern maybe some overhead netting would be worth while? That's a fair bit of fencing so it might not be feasible 

10 minutes ago, IH766 said:

Yaa, we had some as kids I remember them being on the "slower" side. 

If birds are a concern maybe some overhead netting would be worth while? That's a fair bit of fencing so it might not be feasible 

I’m not seeing it as feasible, they are largely for pets, who happen to lay eggs, hopefully they are sufficiently large birds that the hawks go after the cats instead or something. We have red tail and the ducks outweigh them. I don’t know the cargo capacity of a hawk. 

We had a pet duck that us kids got for Easter when I was a kid.  He survived all  critters without a pen. He did roost in a duck house with free roaming until Thanksgiving dinner where he was the main course.   Forget his name but still remember that you probably shouldn't feed your family their pet duck for dinner. not even Thanksgiving.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I have ordered 168’ of electronet I plan to add at least one more section, maybe 2 . This is for my ducks, and I want to keep predators out and ducks in without hurting the ducks. Is a 5 mile charger enough? Do I want high or low impedance? My net is 42” 12 strand. I’m afraid of going too big and hurting my birds and too small and letting predators in. Any advice is appreciated 

I’ll see what my wife has, it’s a solar pack charger, looks like a suitcase with a solar panel on it. Idk what the impedance is.

This is for her sheep 🙄. Heck, if you come here when she isn’t I’ll give you the charger if you take the sheep!(shh!)

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, oleman said:

We had a pet duck that us kids got for Easter when I was a kid.  He survived all  critters without a pen. He did roost in a duck house with free roaming until Thanksgiving dinner where he was the main course.   Forget his name but still remember that you probably shouldn't feed your family their pet duck for dinner. not even Thanksgiving.

I can eat duck, I cannot eat my ducks. Chickens or turkeys don’t bother me, but my ducks... different story 

6 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

I’ll see what my wife has, it’s a solar pack charger, looks like a suitcase with a solar panel on it. Idk what the impedance is.

This is for her sheep 🙄. Heck, if you come here when she isn’t I’ll give you the charger if you take the sheep!(shh!)

7000 watts is enough to put me on the ground pretty quick, sheep sure figure it out after the first jolt

• Like 1

Measuring fence boxes in "miles" isn't really a good comparison.  Different companies use different measurements to distinguish how many "miles" a box is.  The best comparison is joules of output.  This will be a range of 0 to 15 or so.  A 10 or 12 joule box is pretty dang "hot."  And most of your $99 solar boxes will be <1 joule of output.  I would put a good ground, then look at a 2-4 joule box.  That will run it fine.  Don't worry about the ducks.  It needs to be hot enough to deter the predators or it defeats the purpose. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

hmmm just curious why you chose the netting like that? i housed pheasants, quail, chukar for a few years, i used hog panels for the base pen frame for their outside fly pens,  rolled chicken wire around it and buried it in a trench then covered so if something did get past electric or it quit they couldnt dig in. Then i hooked the netting to the top of the hog panels, used large T props made of 2x4s to hold up the netting from sagging inside.

I never had anything get into any of my pens and i just ran 2 strands of electric around the base of the outside about a foot out from the hog panel/chicken wire base. first one about 6 inches off ground, next one about 12 to 15 inches. Killed a couple black snakes and a couple squirrels, that musta got hit hard in the wet/damp weather at night, not sure. Had a coon ( i presume )  get in the wire one night and tangle and pulled off a couple insulators but thats it. 

I also ran the wires around the inside pens where they roosted and sheltered. Got many rats in there trying to get to their food. I used our cattle/horse fencer, a pulser with weed burner - no clue how many miles it was for, it was an old parmak. It snapped hard !!!

the quail/chukar you have to pen off the ground too, they are susceptible to a lot of virus/bacteria that will kill them, it was fun doing that and raising the birds - had to put blinders on the pheasants they like to peck each other to death like a sick chicken gets pecked to death. 

i basically made internal roost pens by cutting holes in the galvanized tin for them to go in/out - it was our old pig barn. 

have fun with the ducks!!!

The main thing with electronet is that its easy to pull up and move around to keep your flock on fresh areas and keep from having poop buildup. I have 330' of netting and I use this little fencer, https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/patriot-p5-energizer?cat_id=245 It works fine even when the weeds and grass get a bit out of hand. Keeps poultry in and dogs and predators out. For the most part the birds feathers insulate them from being shocked although I have seen a chicken get stuck in it and squawk a bit but be fine. If you have owls, they will be your biggest threat.

12 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

hmmm just curious why you chose the netting like that? i housed pheasants, quail, chukar for a few years, i used hog panels for the base pen frame for their outside fly pens,  rolled chicken wire around it and buried it in a trench then covered so if something did get past electric or it quit they couldnt dig in. Then i hooked the netting to the top of the hog panels, used large T props made of 2x4s to hold up the netting from sagging inside.

I never had anything get into any of my pens and i just ran 2 strands of electric around the base of the outside about a foot out from the hog panel/chicken wire base. first one about 6 inches off ground, next one about 12 to 15 inches. Killed a couple black snakes and a couple squirrels, that musta got hit hard in the wet/damp weather at night, not sure. Had a coon ( i presume )  get in the wire one night and tangle and pulled off a couple insulators but thats it. 

I also ran the wires around the inside pens where they roosted and sheltered. Got many rats in there trying to get to their food. I used our cattle/horse fencer, a pulser with weed burner - no clue how many miles it was for, it was an old parmak. It snapped hard !!!

the quail/chukar you have to pen off the ground too, they are susceptible to a lot of virus/bacteria that will kill them, it was fun doing that and raising the birds - had to put blinders on the pheasants they like to peck each other to death like a sick chicken gets pecked to death. 

i basically made internal roost pens by cutting holes in the galvanized tin for them to go in/out - it was our old pig barn. 

have fun with the ducks!!!

My hope is to move the fence around a little bit, I’m going to put the duck house on skids , not going to do it every week but occasionally. It seemed to be the general recommended  product. 

oh a mobile/portable pen - never tried that, we just used small chicken wire pens make out of 2x2 for frames and lifted/moved them around as needed, netting out have been fine for that too to let the chickens forage over a new spot 

3 minutes ago, TomH said:

The main thing with electronet is that its easy to pull up and move around to keep your flock on fresh areas and keep from having poop buildup. I have 330' of netting and I use this little fencer, https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/patriot-p5-energizer?cat_id=245 It works fine even when the weeds and grass get a bit out of hand. Keeps poultry in and dogs and predators out. For the most part the birds feathers insulate them from being shocked although I have seen a chicken get stuck in it and squawk a bit but be fine. If you have owls, they will be your biggest threat.

I hope to be able to put them in at night. They are pretty responsive to me, not quite as much my wife but when you holler PEAS! They come running to whoever has their hand full. 

it was funny, our birds always came in at night on their own, never had to put them in, they would walk thru the hole in the outside of the building into their roosting/feeding/water area 

it was interesting how they were very self sustaining 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

I like the way that you think Todd!!

Knowing Seth I would have expected him to wire it up for 277/480!!!

I was just being kind. He said himself they weren’t that smart. This way he could find the sharpest ones really quick? AND.....no problems with ground based predators of two or four legged varieties.