Black stripes at work!

• 3 weeks later...

Can I ask an almost certainly silly question? What makes it a black stripe? Obviously I see the black stripes on the sides, but what else is different about the black stripes and non black stripes of the same model?

2 hours ago, KWRB said:

Can I ask an almost certainly silly question? What makes it a black stripe? Obviously I see the black stripes on the sides, but what else is different about the black stripes and non black stripes of the same model?

“Black Stripes” were the 66 series tractors produced in late 1975 and 1976. There are several things slightly different that came into play throughout that time leading up to the introduction of the 86 series for 1977.  Castings were being switched over for the new series. Most black stripes will have the serial # in the 86 series location vs the bell housing. Upgraded 3pt arms were another common tell tale.  Not every size of machine got all the various “upgrades”. The paint is the most obvious but the serial # tells you if it truly was a “black stripe”.  

• Thanks 1