Running propane in dt414

1 hour ago, Keith 1066 said:

Has anyone ever put propane to a 1066. If so, how many psi should you run. Also, what size regulator should a person run. 

First question is Why ?

ok ................. question   Is this LP on top of the diesel fuel its currently burning?  OR converting to straight LP?

Local guy used to work on lots of furnaces and gas appliances. He set up a system on a 7600 Ford that worked of the turbo boost pressure. Ran it like that for years, little grill tank on the side to feed it. Never did get a close up look at complete system.

32 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

We're talking 1960s-1970s farm magazine ad technology here?

And it was called the Torque Topper. It reduced the smoke considerably and gave more power. But guys warned of too much propane and it would burn holes in the pistons. 

Back in the mid 60's I watched a 450D with LP injection win his class at local tractor pull. A local bought a new 706D TA delete & put LP injection on to replace the TA. LP dealer sold kits to on tractors. Heard about a farmer that had a 4020 & 806 brought out for demo. The deere dealer couldn't believe how much better the 806 was pulling the plow. Story goes the salesman on the 06 pulled out of the furrow & passed  the 4020 with plow still in the ground. They had windbreaker on the 806 with the LP tank on platform between his feet.  More recently have heard of trucking company that installed kits their semi tractors, claimed better mileage .

• Haha 1

There's a guy around here that hooked up a propane tank to a 720 diesel John Deere it ran really good and had lots of power until the Pistons melted.  Steve

58 minutes ago, Keith 1066 said:

I plan on making one out of a grill regulator at 1 psi of propane. 

I think you better study up on lpg before you get to hot !

a grill runs about 6 ounces

I have a good friend that has propane injection on his Cummins powered Freightliner and Dodge pickup.  We drove his pickup out to Pennsylvania last June to the Roundup towing an 826 and plow. Boosts fuel economy and horsepower.   He drives it by the pyro. 

21 minutes ago, Keith 1066 said:

What should the egts run on a 1066

Between 1000 and 1100 is safe.  Above 1100 things start to get hot and dangerous.  Aluminum melts at 1221°.  I try to run around 1000 (give or take a few degrees) under a heavy load.  No sense pushing things too far. 

I have never done the propane thing, but I did set up a system to run waste cooking grease.  (From deep fryers.)  Kits and conversations like that just add things to go wrong and have to fix IMO.  Yeah, they can boost economy a bit, but not really HP.  You show me a dyno run on straight fuel then add propane and prove it makes enough more power to justify it.  And I don't mean spike HP.  I mean 1100 Pyro temp for a sustained interval, because that is how farm tractors work.  I can see why a guy would do it on an OTR truck or pickup, but on a farm tractor.... nah. 

• Like 2

Have never done it correctly...Did few years back end up with a Chevy 3+3 like 1985 model with a 6.2, I had a 20 pounder on the center hump with a grill regulator. There was a definite power boost. (Sounded horrible if it wasn't under load)  Always thought it needed more tho. Started using the LP to start the old girl and that was short lived as it kicked the starter into the dirt a few cold starts in...(glow plugs disconnected) Truck lasted us a good 2 weekend and a few good nights!

I know this helps you in no way at all but..

Agree with J-Mech on the sustained power.  Learned the hard way on my 4386 that more power isn't helpful when the engine is already running at maximum allowable temps.  On that tractor, I found it necessary to add & operate the engine by the EGT .. even stock.    

There is a HUGE difference between engines operated at a light loads with short bursts of power (your typical automotive) and engines running at continuous full load.  OTR trucks are not even close.  Even farm tractors tend not to run at full load...slippage and hard spots in the field tend to require a lower gear than full load in most cases.    In fact, only Prime+ power generators are usually assumed to run a 100% continuous load.  Those motors are "derated" heavily....the same engine that might be rated at 550hp in a semi might only be rated for 300hp on a genset!   The reason is literally getting the heat away fast enough over a long period of sustained load..

Adding "more power" to a engine that is already working right up to its limit of heat removal simply causes it to melt down.    There are things like water injection that may help, but....

SO my point is, THINK.  Yes, you can add attachments that can create more power.  Yes, you can even do so safely.  But you will need to be informed and know what your engine can and can't do.  A EGT system and maybe a Boost gauge (turbos) are Required Equipment, IMO, if your going to play (or you will likely pay!)    The guy who has given his pump two turns and brags about more HP and smoke and "no problems"...well, he might be only running 50% load most of the time, except for that one steep hill.   You do the same thing and put it on a chopper at 90% load...and the motor melts down.

The 4386, the problem was that it was already too much tractor for that DTI466 engine.  20k lbs, 8 wheels, basically no slippage (more traction than HP).   So in field tillage you could run it at pretty much 80-100% load all the time.   Keeping the EGT's down was required.   I found out that I had to run it at about 2400 rpm's (normal 2600) and back off the throttle immediately to 2100 if the EGT climbed above 1200.  EGT tended to run 1050-1150.  I got good at keeping one foot on the de-celerator!   This was with a pump set to stock, and a bigger turbo...which actually helped the EGT run cooler.

Sorry for the long involved post.   Got a soapbox about people wanting "more power" without thinking about consequences.

Thing with propane is your putting a combustible gas in a compression ignition engine. Your basically causing pre ignition. Go to far and you'll hammer the bottom end out of it.

As for power it makes more power because of the now complete burn, that black smoke is wasted fuel. Propane will clean it right up, EGT's will be about the same because diesels run cooler the more complete the burn is.

Back in the early 2000's I was big in the powerstrokes. Had a couple, knew a bunch of guys that made big power. I had a propane kit on my old 7.3. It was setup on a boost switch, kicked on at 15psi. Any lower you threw the timing way off and risked the bottom end. Also had to make sure the top end timing wasn't to much for same reason.

In the end I pulled it off because 08 happened and the already poor me was really poor. I needed reliable wheels not power at that point.

If I could do it all over I'd put nitrous on before propane.