Big red62

1086 Fuel Aux Fuel Tank

So I followed all the advice given on this forum and my tractor ran great for awhile but occasionally acted like it ran out of fuel. It would restart without priming, Now when I start it, it seem like it runs out of fuel. I cannot find in my tech manuals on where the fuel pick up is in the Aux tank and how easy is it to become clogged? How can I remove it an clean it and is that a major task. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide

57 minutes ago, Big red62 said:

So I followed all the advice given on this forum and my tractor ran great for awhile but occasionally acted like it ran out of fuel. It would restart without priming, Now when I start it, it seem like it runs out of fuel. I cannot find in my tech manuals on where the fuel pick up is in the Aux tank and how easy is it to become clogged? How can I remove it an clean it and is that a major task. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide

Have you changed the filters? are your filters showing high amount of contamination?  

basically to remove the suction which is part of the fuel gage sender unit you have to pull th tank out about 12 " which is a challenge if your  on narrow rows .The suction doesn't have a screen on the bottom its just a piece of tubing sticking down and that would be pretty hard to plug up you could remove the line from the back of the fuel filters the remove the fuel cap and blow backward and that should clear anything out in the tube.

My 1086 was stuttering  when the top fuel tank would run empty and I was running on the aux.  I eventually found the rubber fuel line was bad. It was suckling air. Thx-Ace

4 hours ago, acem said:

My 1086 was stuttering  when the top fuel tank would run empty and I was running on the aux.  I eventually found the rubber fuel line was bad. It was suckling air. Thx-Ace

Pretty sure the 86 series ran a nylon fuel line.  Not being critical, but there is a difference.  If it was rubber, it had probably been replaced before.  Nylon lasts longer. 

Make sure you change the rubber grommets on the fuel lines to the rear of the pump  and then look at the fuel line from the filter base back under the cab to the lower fuel sending unit. , if the hose from the filters to the head of the pump is old replace it with one from Case IH only . If you do need to remove the tank you can get it down and out with out moving the wheel , remove all the fuel unhook the hose from the top to the bottom tank , unhook the fuel sender and plastic fuel line . Then take the fuel tank straps off sled the tank out toward the wheel and put a small floor jack under the tank bracket you can get in there and remove the mounting bolts and lower the tank down to the ground .

J Mech , it is a plastic line from the filter base to the tank . 
‘Danny