Dry fertilizer on 800 planter

I am trying to get the planter set up but my book does not mention anything about setting fertilizer rates. My goal is 200lbs per acre. Grandpa is gone and no one else in the family knows what it is set for or how to change it. 

Looking on line it looks like there are three different rollers. Is there a way to measure to see which ones i have on the planter?

Thanks for the help guys

Most likely you have the middle rate ones. I had to guess which ones I had on my 800. I guessed middle rate and went with it. 

Due to wear you'll have to set it for 200 and then figure out after the fact what you actually put on. I've got 1 box that empties out way faster than the other 3. And 1 that is slow and 2 that are about even. Comes out to about 185 an acre through out the year.

The high rate augers are noticeably different. They have much more aggressive flighting. They also were not nearly as common. had them on our 800, sorry planter is gone and no pictures. May still have the original IH set up instructions for the fertilizer though if you are stuck.

7 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

The high rate augers are noticeably different. They have much more aggressive flighting. They also were not nearly as common. had them on our 800, sorry planter is gone and no pictures. May still have the original IH set up instructions for the fertilizer though if you are stuck.

That would be amazing my book says nothing about dry fertilizer. Even if you could just find the chart with the different chain and sprocket settings that would be helpful

I have an 800 plate planter.  The book shows a low, high, and extra high auger.  low tops out at 175 , extra high starts at 210.  settings for the standard high auger are as follows.  drive sprocket/driven sprocket/weight in pounds for 30 inch rows.                        20/30/111, 20/24/139, 34/30/189, 36/30/200, 20/16/208, 34/24/236,36/24/250, 34/16/354,36/16/375   Driven sprocket is the one pinned to the auger shaftsl  cab

12 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Can I ask why not just broadcast your fertilizer then disc it in on your last pass? Or are you trying to no till with it? Thats how I plant. Fertilizer boxes are a pita to keep working IMO. 

You can cut rates when you band fertilizer as opposed to broadcast.

5 hours ago, 615 spike said:

I have an 800 plate planter.  The book shows a low, high, and extra high auger.  low tops out at 175 , extra high starts at 210.  settings for the standard high auger are as follows.  drive sprocket/driven sprocket/weight in pounds for 30 inch rows.                        20/30/111, 20/24/139, 34/30/189, 36/30/200, 20/16/208, 34/24/236,36/24/250, 34/16/354,36/16/375   Driven sprocket is the one pinned to the auger shaftsl  cab

Thank you so much!

16 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Can I ask why not just broadcast your fertilizer then disc it in on your last pass? Or are you trying to no till with it? Thats how I plant. Fertilizer boxes are a pita to keep working IMO. 

I am no-tilling with it. The farm is lighter dirt that responded really well when grandpa was farming it notill

On 4/19/2020 at 9:12 PM, Missouri Mule said:

I put sulfer through my planter.  I want it right next to the seed not scattered 15"-25" away.

11 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

I put sulfer through my planter.  I want it right next to the seed not scattered 15"-25" away.

Couple ways to look at it. First of all you fertilize way more by broadcasting, more like 400-500lbs or at least I do. The plant uses what's next to it to get going and has fertilizer as the roots get bigger from further away. As long as you dont have weed pressure the theory should seem plausible. I've never had a planter the fertilizer boxes worked on so that's just what I do.  But I get lots of guys saying they want it right next to the plant where it needs to be. I'd say a positive to that is use less fertilizer. But I really dont want to mess with pallets of fertilizer either as I dont do enough to justify fancy equipment. I wouldnt mind dabbling in liquid fertilizer. I'll start a new thread