white fenders on 706 and 806

I  remember a lot of 706 and 806 tractors had white fenders when new. It seems like they were later model 06 tractors. They definitely were flat top fender tractors, not the early clamshell.

Does anyone know the story on why these tractors had white fenders?

Why did the 1206 have white fenders, grills and wheels?

There were a lot of odd fashions back then.Remember the 'mod' tops and interiors?

Thx-Ace

We bought an 856 new with a mounted picker on it.  After harvest Dad sent me to town to get the wide front and fenders for it.  Dealer had piles of fenders they took off for cabs and I saw the white ones lying there so I took them.  They looked really boss on that 856.  I'm sure that is what happened in a lot of cases.

jerry

• Like 1

I sure wish I could go to a dealers lot and pick fenders out of a pile!!! How many of those fenders do you think got scrapped because no one wanted them?? 

But I know people who bought new tractors with white fenders on them.  Some also had white wheels also.  These were factory tractors, not dealer changes.  Thx-Ace

I remember a 706 in NE Iowa with white flat top fenders on it.. but don't remember if it was factory or dealer painted

I was working for an IH dealer in that era. The only tractor that had white wheels and fenders was the 1206. This was not a factory option on any other model 

• Like 1

My 706 has white flat one on it,---I am sure someone just put them on it. ---I HATE them on it but cant get the bolts out to take them off.

4 hours ago, striker782 said:

I was working for an IH dealer in that era. The only tractor that had white wheels and fenders was the 1206. This was not a factory option on any other model 

That's what separated,made it stand out white fenders on 1206 .If you seen one of them in the east in late 60's ,early 70's sitting way out in the field parked or working it was like seeing a 12 pt buck you knew right away what it was,rare and never forget it.

Dealers ordering with out fenders and using take offs from 1206? Painting the wheels too cause they thought would sell better that way? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
On 4/18/2020 at 9:38 AM, striker782 said:

THIS!  FARMALL had their hands full getting red paint on tractors,  and things like the flat top fenders had a Real low tolerance level for paint runs & sags. When we were still putting flat tops on 686/H86, want to say 22 a day, I'd have to get at least 30 left and 30 right fenders to cover for fenders with runs/sags that needed rework. And it took a while but some fenders got scrapped simply for having a paint run.  They had a Clark 8000# capacity lift truck they drove over them so they could get more into a dumpster.

There were pretty strict guidelines for how things were done at FARMALL, everything was inspected, lots of fingers and eyes were laid on every tractor to make sure it was as right as it could be.  Yes, we did some specials, like the green & orange tractors for the carrot farmer, yellow for Chisolm-Ryder, and Barber-Green, and the most famous, the 5 Millionth,  

Unfortunately Louisville Plant didn't have the same opinion on paint. I ran two brand new Cub Cadets, a '63 original, and a '65 #70, and they both had pretty obvious paint defects.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

And it took a while but some fenders got scrapped simply for having a paint run.  They had a Clark 8000# capacity lift truck they drove over them so they could get more into a dumpster.

Boy that was dumb! Waste that may have contributed to the Case takeover later on.

Fenders, tires, rims, cast centers, weights were all common to be swapped at the dealer.  Grinnell would always order in tractors with a full set of weights, even if the farmer did not want them.  Warehoused them for later.  They would swap narrow front/ wide front, tires and rims, etc.. Whatever it took to sell the machine. When Dad purchased his 706 in 1971, they swapped a wide front off of another tractor for Dad.   That can account for some discrepancies of parts on new machines. 

Our '63 706 came from the factory with clamshell fenders, but sometime later it got a set of white flat tops and the clamshells got switched to their M.  There's a picture of it circa 1968-69 with the white fenders.  Nobody has told me specifically, but it seems quite likely that a 1206 got an aftermarket cab and those fenders were sitting at the dealer available for a cheap price.

18 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Boy that was dumb! Waste that may have contributed to the Case takeover later on.

The cost in man-hours wasted sanding down and repainting a fender far exceeded the value of the fender, I'm sure. It would today for sure.

1 hour ago, clay neubauer said:

Nobody has told me specifically, but it seems quite likely that a 1206 got an aftermarket cab and those fenders were sitting at the dealer available for a cheap price.

That was the case with 66 series for sure, most tractors left the local dealership with Hiniker cabs. Except the fenders weren't available for a "cheap" price. They were full price as if you ordered a set through parts, at least at our dealer. They'd run over them with a forklift and send them to scrap before selling them for anything less than full price. Didn't matter anyway, as nobody wanted them. They all wanted Hiniker cabs.

17 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

The cost in man-hours wasted sanding down and repainting a fender far exceeded the value of the fender, I'm sure. It would today for sure.

YES,  all rework like that was on over-time, Time and a Half,  certain areas, departments would put on over-time bans from time to time, and sometimes the company would restrict O/T.

When Big-Shots from Chicago came to visit, the word went out a week or two before and everybody cleaned up their areas. That's when stuff got scrapped.  I ALWAYS had problems with the Motor Wheel steel disk wheel for the 686/H86, same wheel used on 560 & 656, it had a second valve stem hole, we used a loose fitting rim hole plug to seal the tubeless 18.4x34 tires, and after a couple hours they were flat. The tire room and Engineering refused to change the specs to a brass and rubber plug you tightened with wrenches, or let me get ALL 18.4x34 tires with inner tubes. So the flats piled up, fixing flats was over-time work. A pile of those wheels/tires were scrapped for one visit from Chicago. Friend in the west yard told me about that.  Yep, scrapping that stuff really wasn't the right way to handle things like that, but I saw arguments about signing off on scrap almost break into fist fights in company meetings. And FARMALL was no different.

I'm sure Case and all of Tennaco's other companies had similar situations, it was NOT something unique to FARMALL and made absolutely no difference whether Tennaco bought IH ag or not.  Think it was 1981 or '82 Allis Chalmers claims they made $45,000 profit for the whole corporation for the whole year. A company their size with all the scrap, inventory errors, clerical errors, yeah, they made $45,000 PLUS or MINUS about  $500,000.

5 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I'm sure Case and all of Tennaco's other companies had similar situations, it was NOT something unique to FARMALL

Heck, I'd put money on it being pretty much universal in industry, even today.

With the rate of failure we see on cheap goods from overseas, can you imagine how much waste there is at the factory from units that didn't even make it through basic QC? They don't fix those failed units. It would take too many man-hours to troubleshoot and repair.