Sign in to follow this  

Case 4890 axle u joints

Any Case guys out there? Dad's 4890 has an axle u joint or 2 that are worn out. It looks like they could possibly be replaced without tearing hub/planetary/etc apart. Just wondering if anyone has done it that way, thanks

1 hour ago, 1958560 said:

Any Case guys out there? Dad's 4890 has an axle u joint or 2 that are worn out. It looks like they could possibly be replaced without tearing hub/planetary/etc apart. Just wondering if anyone has done it that way, thanks

If you are on Facebook, find JI Case Farm Machinery   Thomas Stanley runs the group and they are extremely knowledgeable and willing to share information. 

You can change just the joint without pulling anything apart. It's tight but very do-able. Just lift the side you need to replace and the one kitty corner to it. So if you're replacing the left front, lift it and the rear right wheel. That way you can turn as you need. I can't remember if I had to keep the wheels straight or not but that you'll figure out when doing them. It's not a bad job really and you definetly want to check them out and if there is any play in them change them. It is not pretty when one goes out. That's when you have to tear the planetary apart and pull the whole hub off. Been there done that

4 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

If you are on Facebook, find JI Case Farm Machinery   Thomas Stanley runs the group and they are extremely knowledgeable and willing to share information. 

Thanks, I'll check it out. Really hope to not get too deep on this ol girl

4 hours ago, db1486 said:

You can change just the joint without pulling anything apart. It's tight but very do-able. Just lift the side you need to replace and the one kitty corner to it. So if you're replacing the left front, lift it and the rear right wheel. That way you can turn as you need. I can't remember if I had to keep the wheels straight or not but that you'll figure out when doing them. It's not a bad job really and you definetly want to check them out and if there is any play in them change them. It is not pretty when one goes out. That's when you have to tear the planetary apart and pull the whole hub off. Been there done that

That's what I was hoping, are they same joint as the driveline? I have a fleetrite # for a driveline joint, much more reasonable that case part

43 minutes ago, 1958560 said:

That's what I was hoping, are they same joint as the driveline? I have a fleetrite # for a driveline joint, much more reasonable that case part

That I'm not sure of. They might be but I won't say for sure. We got ours through a good bearing supply place. Was a 1/3 the price of CIH. I might have a number kicking around somewhere, but if you get the old ones off they should be able to match them up. Sometimes the numbers won't cross reference but they measure up the same

43 minutes ago, 1958560 said:

That I'm not sure of. They might be but I won't say for sure. We got ours through a good bearing supply place. Was a 1/3 the price of CIH. I might have a number kicking around somewhere, but if you get the old ones off they should be able to match them up. Sometimes the numbers won't cross reference but they measure up the same

Pretty easy to do, jacked up both ends and crab steered the rear to one side. Both rear corners were bad. Son helped and they were both swapped out in an hour. Waiting for a third joint for left front corner now, thanks everyone!

• Like 1