856 and 706 Combo

I am look at a 856 and a 706 that a guy north of me has for sale. He picked up the 856 form a someone that did a rebuild on the engine less than 100 hr ago, but the guy's kid got the transmission stuck in between gears. He got the 706 form someone else that had parked the tractor running but the muffler came off and now it has a frozen engine. His plan was to combine the two tractors into one, but since he change his plans for his place he no longer needs a tractor that that size so he is selling the tractors. My question is, Is this even possible to combine these two tractors into one, and if so what problems would you have to confront to combine theses tractors.

Thanks for any help you can give me

If the 856 is simply stuck in two gears, it should not be more than a couple hours to get it popped back into neutral. Either shift more carefully or fix the sloppy shifters, and it'll be fine. Unless, there's more to the story. Is there more to the story?

The 706 and 856 are built on the same drivetrain design. Unbolt the two tractors at the bell housings, roll the 856 rear end away, and roll the 706 rear end back in its place, bolt together. Because the 706's control console is a few inches shorter, the hood won't line up so you'll need to transplant the one from the 856. This will also require a couple of minor changes in the range cover to convert from 06 to 56 style shifting.

My thinking is its way easier to get the 856 out of stuck, and then fix the shift linkage, then bothering to mix and match. Unless there is gear damage, much easier to pull the range or hi/lo cover and fix the problem.   And then you still have a parts tractor or a fix-it project with the 706.   

• Like 1

Sounds like the 856 is in low range and reverse at the same time. It can happen with wear and slop in the shift linkage and operator does not make "square" movements when shifting low to reverse or vice versa. When I have someone helping me at silage chopping time they invariably get low and reverse locked up on my 756 very quickly. I can use it for years and never get it locked. Takes only a few seconds to unlock it. You just got to know how to move the shift fork levers with your hand under the deck.   

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice.  I think how I put them together or fix them will all come down to what I find once I get to look at them in person. 

A few follow up questions,

How much do you thing these tractors are worth in their current state.

The 856 has a different style three point that I have not seen before. It runs off of two hydraulic cylinders.  Anyone know anything about this style three point? Do they work? Are they any good? Could you take it off the 856 and put it on the 706?

Also, the 856 also has a factory Ice Cream Box cab that has A/C. 

IMG_20200414_105047412.jpg

IMG_20191215_165041144.jpg

That's a Wheatland 856, which makes sense you being in Montana and all. Lots of guys are seeing that picture right now and are drooling.

Wheatland tractors are equipped for grain crops like, well, wheat. They normally did not come equipped with a 3pt hitch from the factory because there's not much need for a 3pt hitch on your main tractors in grain crops. All your implements tow from the drawbar, so the 3pt is just in the way.

The 3pt hitch is an aftermarket unit, or homemade. It will easily transfer to the 706, as it just bolts to the axles.

58 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

That's a Wheatland 856, which makes sense you being in Montana and all. Lots of guys are seeing that picture right now and are drooling.

Wheatland tractors are equipped for grain crops like, well, wheat. They normally did not come equipped with a 3pt hitch from the factory because there's not much need for a 3pt hitch on your main tractors in grain crops. All your implements tow from the drawbar, so the 3pt is just in the way.

The 3pt hitch is an aftermarket unit, or homemade. It will easily transfer to the 706, as it just bolts to the axles.

Looks like to me the 3pt hitch is bolted to the draw bar ring ( or what ever they call it) and the support pieces from the rearend housing to the draw bar ring have been removed and the 3pt is bolted to the rearend housing.  We have one on our 1486. It will lift a IH 500 8 row wide planter. Thought it was a  Faul or a  Cornhusker brand.