1486 and big square baler

I just bought a big square baler NH bb940, and I'm wondering what you guys opinion is on pulling it with a 1486? I'm not worried about power, it's the weight I'm concerned about, the tractor has 20.8-38s and duals and I could put a full set of suitcase weights on it, from what I read and hear, these balers can be pretty heavy going down a hill, is a 1486 heavy enough? What do you guys think?

Used to be quite a few 1486's and 1586's on Big Square Hesston 4900 4X4 balers. One guy even ran a 1086. Have seen them pulled with 4430's and 4440's

I think it depends on the hills you have. If they are the kind that make your butt pucker, then you need something heavier. If just rolling hills and flat where you turn you’ll be fine. You will find turning is going to be your problem if you are using a light tractor, it will push you around very quickly. 

30 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

I think it depends on the hills you have. If they are the kind that make your butt pucker, then you need something heavier. If just rolling hills and flat where you turn you’ll be fine. You will find turning is going to be your problem if you are using a light tractor, it will push you around very quickly. 

Mostly rolling, with a few larger hills, not many though.

We pulled our first 8575 with a 5288 38'' duals, spun hoes in a few hills...and went for plenty of rides.  I spun the 7150 out a couple times on the worst of them...stuff that had no business being farmed,  Had to go up and down to keep the bailer on its wheels. If your comfortable on your hills with the rest of your equipment you will be fine. 

Next question is will he need to beef up the drawbar? We had a discussion a while back where guys were doing this for big square balers and manure wagons etc. I think bitty had a good idea if I remember right. I have thought about it with my round baler. It's so heavy that when running down the road it gets to bouncing and flexing the drawbar and then the only way to make it stop is throttle way back. it gets old 

No hills here but not sure how long your PTO will stand it , two things I learned the hard-way on those tractors is don't use them on high torque PTO operations especailly the later PFC pump systems I ran one using a field cutter three row chopper and also a tub grinder with bad results by breaking the pump shafts off or taking all the teeth off the pump driven gear after two shafts and one damaged pump gear I changed my PTO usage on that tractor  But good luck using it on your Baler

26 minutes ago, acem said:

You broke the hydraulic pump shaft from a high pto load? Thx-Ace

yep twice

How heavy are the big square balers? I've never been around them before. We pull the 1482 combine behind the 1486 with no troubles and we have some pucker factor hills. Just gotta be on the ball and pay attention if something does happen

I am not up on the later NH's after the 590/595..........is the 940 3x3 or 3x4?  I don't think a 1486 would have much of a issue myself.  Know guys running 3x3's here on 4440's..........3x4's on bigger Deere's.  Being around the 590's, I really don't consider them a high drive load like a chopper, people think that because of the plunger stroking carries up the driveline. Small square does that too, no different than running a 570 with a Super M..............It can be done.

Should be fine if the hyd is self contained on the baler. I pulled my CIH 8580 with my 1486 till I got my 7250, baler was around 12 ton loaded with hay and accumulator. Had a couple hills it would slide down unless you kicked down the clutch. Biggest problem was hyd getting tired after several hrs on a good hot day. But on a unit with all that on baler you should be fine, I added drawbar support.