Farmall 560 PTO Brake Bands.

Tractor came in the shop with the PTO slipping. Not much adjustment left on the adjustment screws, so I removed the cover and inspected the bands. Bands did not have much brake material left and oil was burnt. I replaced the bands and adjusted. I have never been around this set up before... Is it normal for the PTO shaft spin with the tractor running and the lever centered in the quadrant? IF you apply the brake it will stop turning, but the planetary is noisy. I'm sure i have the bands adjusted correctly, as it wasn't very difficult. With the tractor off, lever centered, i could spin the PTO shaft with a punch in the hole. Maybe its normal for the planetary to be noisy in the brake position? IDK Any help is appreciated!   

They are noisy shut off.  Some more than others.  How much did you back off each screw from center position.   Lot of people run them in gear to lessen noise as things are turning slower inside. Not saying that is a safe thing to do but you know how that goes.   You did fill unit with hy tran of course.   

Pete, I backed off each screw a little at a time to to get the shaft to spin with a punch in the center position. Any other position the shaft locks up. Im not sure how far i backed them off. Yes i did fill the case with hy-tran. 

i will say this, its a very fine line on those with the long handle and eccentric of the lever engagement/brake adjustment moving from drive to brake and it takes a lot of small/fine tuning to get them just right especially at their age and wear. Its not just the bands that get worn. Everything has movement in it that never did, even the handle linkage has wear let alone the internals. The book adjustment is just a place to start in my experience. 

I never noticed either of ours being excessively noisy our 88 is noisy but just at an idle - it has a nice lil tick down in there but I have been told thats normal.