Hello

I bought this 270A back in November but just getting to really looking at and working on now .it took a starter , battery and injector pump to get it out of the woods after setting with the normal filter changes and fluids replaced all but the hydraulic  because I had to order filters and I couldn't put any more stuff in my wrangler it was about a mile and a half in the woods where it set for 10 years.

found it on Craigslist not running make offer was told it needed a injector pump it was 64 miles 1 way and it took 4 trips to get it going and get it home it runs great front bucket is ok needs some rust holes fixed and I'm going to cut some of the extra bucket that was put on .

I put a key switch and headlight switch in a kill cable because new injector pump dose not have electric solenoid to shut it off ,hydraulic oil draining now waiting for power steering seals so heres my need to do list before I use

reseal power steering piston

repair right outrigger that fell off see pictures

replace broken water pump mounting plate because bolt hole for alternator bracket is broken off

replace thermostat gasket upper and lower radiator hoses

install 2 new filters and new hydraulic fluid

tighten bolts like other 270s frame bolts are loose

with any luck get that done I will be good to go for a long time

Thanks   Leo

BACKHOE ID #.jpg

left frame.jpg

cyl eyelet.jpg

lt leg rear frame.jpg

rt rear outrigger.jpg

lt pad welded weld.jpg

bottom of turret.jpg

top of turret.jpg

feft front backhoe.jpg

hoe adj.jpg

rt front back hoe.jpg

botton of hill adj.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome score!

Looks like it has lives a harder life than mine has. Glad you got it home. I went through a similar ordeal with the injection pump on mine.

Have you found the power steering cylinder seal kit yet? I just rebuilt my steering cylinder a few months ago.

Is your 270A hydrostatic ot a torque converter transmission?

called the dealer today they reordered don't know where the other went ?

mine is a torque converter transmission and what you see is how I brought it home it has been to cold to turn the water back on to the garage and use the presser washer that is still in the basement

I don't think it has a lot of hours on it I think the last owner was the king of cob and abuse or  didn't know how to weld or his welder was not big enough I think he was using the outrigger as a park brake and for got to pull it up all the way  and ran into something  as you can see it was lettered and pin striped at one time

I don't have any history on it as I bought it from a estate sale it dose not have the front weights and it is very light in the front even with the bigger bucket they welded 12 " of 1/2 plate all the way around the front bucket and added the brackets for a snowplow

bottom of bucket.jpg

top of bucket.jpg

Do you have parts manual for it? It is very beneficial to have. In case you didn't know already, the 270A is based of the IH 884 AG tractor. Thankfully when I need parts that are part of the base tractor I can look them up for a 884 and they are available.

Mine has been a very good machine so far. Mine is torque converter as well.

Mine is pretty light up front as well(no weights either). In fact when driving up my gooseneck trailer ramps the front wheels continue up the invisible ramp for a ways until I stop and it drops the front wheels to the trailer deck. Kinda scary.

In case you don't already have it, the steering cylinder seal kit part number is 536314R92   Only place I found it was on Ebay, and they had one more.

I'm a need to know guy I've bought the parts and owners manuals aftermarket  back in November and the service manual original print from eBay just got it last week

this is my 3rd IH backhoe my first was a 2400 I paid $1200 put about $3000 into rebuilding the motor including cam bearings because of low oil pressers. rings ,bearings valve job 1 rear tire rebuilt main boom and bucket cylinders used it for about a month and sold for $9000 to pay divorce lawyer

my 2nd was a 1963 460 6 cyl open cab paid $2000 for that one only had to fix the brakes and 1 lift cylinder on the front bucket that thing would run all day on 5 gallons of fuel sold it to have the money for the down payment on the house I bought sold for $3800 I did paint it

and now a 270a paid $500 for the backhoe and have about another $2600 in it now with the $500 tow to get it home new injection pump, new gear reduction starter and a battery, steering seal kit, key switch, light switch, and pull cable

• 2 weeks later...

worked on the water pump mounting plate and found more of his handy work

he had a small bent square stock welded to a piece of the broken exhaust manifold and tacked to the stud at one time it didn't hold , then look what he did for exhaust I think I'll start looking for a good used one now and get the right muffler for it and he  cut the hole in the hood to fit

not much fixing the hood

cant wait for the nights to stay above freezing so I can start cleaning this thing

stud.jpg

welded on steal.jpg

welded manifold #1.jpg

hood.jpg

• 2 months later...

Heres my 270A. Also had a rough life. Loader arm was broken in 2, lift cylinder pin had been snapped off (must have been a common issue because they make a upgraded kit) and swing tower had some worn done as well.   My machine has an extendahoe and the front weights aren't enough.   Little at a time im getting through it. repacked many cylinders, went through the engine because it had a bad head gasket and wiped out the bearings, did a few hoses, kingpin bushings and bearings, steering cylinder. need to work on the extendahoe and swing is off a tooth.  

_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_20171007_161928.thumb.jpeg.0231cc5a9c868292b6f1c6f8b9b6dd32.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I just thought I would add my new to me 270A I picked up today. I already own a 260A but wanted a bigger backhoe, so found this one.

73DiamondRio's 270A was the worst I seen to date, until I seen this post. 

I don't think I have ever seen that much cobbled up stuff all in one machine. Guinness world record holder there for sure. 

COPY.jpg

• Like 1

Nice looking backhoe I think you get what you pay for I paid $500 for mine and put about $3000 in parts not counting my labor or all the welding it needed that I swapped a guy he fixed my outrigger and I did head gasket on his old Volvo

But I must say it has money well spent I've done 2 jobs that put it to the test pulled 3 big tree stumps out of my son back yard and finish it off so they could get married there in 7 weeks 

And a friend of mine called said his water was coming up outside of the house not in the house so I had to dig for a new line and it was all clay and big rocks and 2 large bolders 1 was so big had to put stuff in the front bucket just to move it out of the way 

I still have a lot of work I want to do to it or need to but I can use it if needed

Have fun with yours and a question for you I was told the only difference between a 250a,260a,and 270a was motor horse power ?

IMG_2693.jpg

20201008_130025.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

While horsepower is a difference between them, they are all different machines.  The 260A and 270A tractors are quite similar in design, but the hoe is the bigger design on the 270A.

All of that generation are based on the IH Doncaster built 84 series AG tractors . 

Quite a useful machine! Even if it doesn't win beauty pageants.  Lol. I almost have my 260A going!

On 10/16/2020 at 8:16 AM, bapsdad said:

Nice looking backhoe I think you get what you pay for I paid $500 for mine and put about $3000 in parts not counting my labor or all the welding it needed that I swapped a guy he fixed my outrigger and I did head gasket on his old Volvo

But I must say it has money well spent I've done 2 jobs that put it to the test pulled 3 big tree stumps out of my son back yard and finish it off so they could get married there in 7 weeks 

And a friend of mine called said his water was coming up outside of the house not in the house so I had to dig for a new line and it was all clay and big rocks and 2 large bolders 1 was so big had to put stuff in the front bucket just to move it out of the way 

I still have a lot of work I want to do to it or need to but I can use it if needed

Have fun with yours and a question for you I was told the only difference between a 250a,260a,and 270a was motor horse power ?

IMG_2693.jpg

20201008_130025.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

At least you got it going, not many out there mechanically inclined enough to tackle such tasks. Most try, but end up making it worse.....much like the welds you found on yours.  My machine is not a perfect gem, I just pulled the fenders, gas tank, battery box and all the wiring to fix missing bolts, rust,rot and all the past owners cobbling. Wires twisted together left bare, wires melted together, I guess wire connectors were too expensive. I also found a crack starting at the front axle pivot mounting plate. You may want to check the plate on yours right above the axle pivot pin. Looking at it from underneath the oil pan, look towards the front of the machine at the center pin and all around the pin and top mounting plate. If mine is cracked being a township owned machine, I am confident yours may be too.

Will check for crack  next nice day I have I forget to show a picture of the great job the welder did on the outrigger Nice looking backhoe I think you get what you pay for I paid $500 for mine and put about $3000 in parts not counting my labor or all the welding it needed that I swapped a guy he fixed my outrigger and I did head gasket on his old Volvo

20201020_080153.jpg

3 minutes ago, bapsdad said:

Will check for crack  next nice day I have I forget to show a picture of the great job the welder did on the outrigger Nice looking backhoe I think you get what you pay for I paid $500 for mine and put about $3000 in parts not counting my labor or all the welding it needed that I swapped a guy he fixed my outrigger and I did head gasket on his old Volvo

20201020_080153.jpg

Holding strong after boulder

We also cut the 12 inches of 1/2 inch plate off the top of the front bucket and used some of that to fix the outrigger

On 10/15/2020 at 8:40 PM, JK2020IH said:

I just thought I would add my new to me 270A I picked up today. I already own a 260A but wanted a bigger backhoe, so found this one.

73DiamondRio's 270A was the worst I seen to date, until I seen this post. 

I don't think I have ever seen that much cobbled up stuff all in one machine. Guinness world record holder there for sure. 

COPY.jpg

MY poor backhoe. haha. She's still digging and working. Rather have a shuttle trans over the hydro but the machine does a good job for me

On 10/22/2020 at 10:05 PM, 73diamond reo said:

MY poor backhoe. haha. She's still digging and working. Rather have a shuttle trans over the hydro but the machine does a good job for me

I think you did a great job, I only wish there were more youtube vids, those helped me out when I first bought my 260A, similar machine in a way, but different parts here and there. Did you ever get it completely painted?

I still have a list of things to do before paint still have a few pistons leaking I have the kits just don't have the time.

And it needs to be rewired front to back 

Needs a few new pins has some play in the hoe

And get a new cable for the emergency brake 

Other than that I think it Will be ready for paint

But with cold and snow on the way it will be spring before I do much more work on it

Can't get it in my garage so I'll cover it up pull the battery and hope for a early spring

I'm not computer smart to do videos I do like youtube to help with repairs or read topics here even just to get you started in the right direction

You have a great looking backhoe with a full cab and clean hope mine will look good one day soon

Thanks for the info I bought a service manual from eBay but it doesn't cover everything 

I'm having a problem with it jumping out of high or low range at times The bushings are worn but at times it will go right past the range your trying to shift to it looks like the King mite have had his hands inside the cover where the high low are but will order bushings and see if that works