Hit and miss engines

Rusty shackleford

I always loved watching em at farmfest and Butterfield thrashing b, I might have the chance to buy an ihc model m even tho I think they are not considered hit and miss engines since they are governed. Just figured I would start a thread for people to post pics of there old stationary engines and teach us young folk about em

• Like 6

My old man was really into them.  He had a bunch over the years, but the only ones still here my brother has.............1.5 hp headless Fairbanks Morse, and a 1.5 hp JD Model E.  He always was hunting a sideshaft engine, Domestic in particular, but never found one.  Me, I never was into them, his generation was into that stuff, steam traction engines and horses, none of that ever tripped my trigger.

• Like 2

Have a several Maytag multi motors. 1 single and a twin. Another single thats mostly complete. Dont think they are really hit n miss either. I remember grandpa worked in the machining area at Maytag during the 30s - 40s and talked about boring the cylinders and how if you saw the color change you had hit a piece of slag in the casting and it dulled your tool and would need resharpened. Think the part got scrapped too.

Always thought those hit n miss engines were cool too. Like to have one someday but i dont know what i would do with it.

Had the Maytag twin running a couple times but been years now since i did.

• Like 2

I did not have huge interest in stationary engines until last September when a fully restored IHC LB engines was for sale about 6 1/2 hours away. Though I ended up getting one that was five minutes away from me they are fun units to have. I’ve really enjoyed working on my 1944 LB. A model M will be fun to have...... but heavy!! According to a book I have a collector has a 6hp M with a kerosene carb and IH magneto.

Here is a sneak peak of when I put on decals for my engine. 

ED2D4F7A-5FDF-452A-866C-D0DD58417A49.thumb.jpeg.ac04900f664c753c651e7f40dc8d0b35.jpeg

• Like 5

I would like to get a small corn grinder and sheller then use a hit and miss engine with the family to make feed for the few steers I have, would make for a fun and educational time with the family, therea getting to be less and less young people into the hobby and not enough guys teaching the young people about it

• Like 4

There was a 5 KW generator powered by a hit and miss engine that powered a general store in the California desert town of Glamis in the early 70's.  Bout a 3' flywheel driving the 8" generator pulley. The best part of my 100 mile + trip to visit was the old engine "glugging" along with the 6" flat belt to  the generator keeping the beer cool on a hot summer day, think 120F.   About a year later a utility line was run to the area and the world since then went down hill, too many people, stores, and RV's all over.

• Like 3

Here is a poor quality phone vid of my 5HP Galloway engine chugging along

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Kevingweq said:

Here is a poor quality phone vid of my 5HP Galloway engine chugging along

That is sweet, I could watch them all day. I like the ihc ones cause I am an ih fan but the fact that they were farther advanced than the others made them a great more reliable engine but not as cool, I love the hit miss sound but most ihc engines ran smooth and even wich was good for work but not as cold for the hobby. Anyone in Minnesota area have an extra hit miss engine to sell? I also want a corn grinder for one

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ky966boy said:

Do those have any throttle or do they basically run one speed never saw one close up.

Some have a governor and I think others are run by opening up the air intake to let in more air to make it go faster, I might be wrong tho I'm just a young fella with no hit miss engines 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ky966boy said:

Do those have any throttle or do they basically run one speed

My Galloway has a fly weight governor that rotates with one of the flywheels , It works by holding the exhaust valve open until the rpm,s slow down enough

to "latch in" and then engine will fire and increase rpm's ,   If I had a way to load the engine it would keep firing trying to reach governed rpm (no connection to carburetor)(mixer)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a 1-1/2 E model JD on a cart and a Maytag twin with kick start. Also found a Maytag wringer washing machine that came with electric motor. Had an IH LB for several years. I would pull it outside and run it from time to time. A man from several miles away stopped by one day and asked about it. Never did say how he knew I had it. I drug it outside and fired it up and we talked about old engines and tractors for a couple of hours. When he was getting ready to leave he pulled out some cash and asked how much I was attached to it. I asked what he would give for it and he started shelling out money until I stopped him to ask if he had any idea current value of these things. He said he had the next serial number from mine so to him, it was worth a little more. He was not that interested in the JD or Maytag besides hearing the history of mine and hearing them run. 

Mine are not fond of the modern gasoline with alcohol in it. If they sit for a couple of weeks with that stuff in them I have to pull out the fuel pick up line and free up the check valve. I try to get gasoline with no alcohol and add a little 2 cycle oil. It they will be sitting for longer time I will add a little Sta-Bil and run them a few more minutes. Seems to help.

• Like 3

The Le Suer swap meet in Mn. always has a thousand or more engines for sale, but I suppose that's all changed due to the virus. It has always been a two day event and guys bring in truck loads of stuff ! I brought a truck load down and there were guys wanting stuff before I could get parked.

I collected only one brand Stovers' , I had 30 of them most all restored, from 1HP to 6HP. The 6 was a throttled governed LP engine weighing 1475 lbs. Came out of a shoe factory in pittsburg pa. Most were mounted on trailers as these things get very heavy! From May to October I was gone most week ends to shows from the Dakotas to Indiana. Finally had enough ! Sold the whole lot except one a DV2 with clutch hoping to make a small tractor with it. I didn't care if it was rusted stuck or if it was only a block and flywheels, Id make all the parts to get it running again. I liked the challenge.

• Like 3

Collectors bring them to the local fairs and tractor shows. Some are MONSTERS! Many have them doing something like pumping water or running saws. I's always fun to watch. With nothing to do the big one will hit then coast for a few minutes before the exhaust valve finally closes and they hit again. Flywheel must be half a ton.

Tough life before electrification. My FIL grew up in rural VA. While they had electricity they still used a Maytag washer out in the yard. As a kid he loved to get to start it.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, augercreek said:

The Le Suer swap meet in Mn. always has a thousand or more engines for sale, but I suppose that's all changed due to the virus. It has always been a two day event and guys bring in truck loads of stuff ! I brought a truck load down and there were guys wanting stuff before I could get parked.

I collected only one brand Stovers' , I had 30 of them most all restored, from 1HP to 6HP. The 6 was a throttled governed LP engine weighing 1475 lbs. Came out of a shoe factory in pittsburg pa. Most were mounted on trailers as these things get very heavy! From May to October I was gone most week ends to shows from the Dakotas to Indiana. Finally had enough ! Sold the whole lot except one a DV2 with clutch hoping to make a small tractor with it. I didn't care if it was rusted stuck or if it was only a block and flywheels, Id make all the parts to get it running again. I liked the challenge.

Ya I always wanted to go to that but every single year for like 10 years I ended up not being able to go, could never believe it ever single year somthing came up or I was hauling fertilizer, finaly this year I'm not hauling fertilizer so I figured I would make sure I make it to le suer and now its canceled  

• Like 3

Used our Fairbanks Morse z1 1/2 with a pump jack to pump water for the cows back by the woods . It was made in 1919 . The way  i read serial numbers it was only made for six months then went to a head with a spark plug. This has got a set of points in the combustion chamber that open up to fire the mixture. ?‍♂️
My son and I rebuild it to punt it on a ice cream wagon ,never did that , didn’t get the ice cream maker. ?‍♂️
Never started cause , never took it out hit and mis enterprises in orwell. They stopped having shows , so I lost interest the same year I wanted to take it . Owner to let him know ,he would call in some experts to help me start it, never did . 
I ask my brother how to start it ,he forgot. Said be careful if you used the crank to start . He let neighbor crank it. The crank came off and hit Lester in the head and split it open. He said mom really yelled at him for that . I guess he thought it was nice to have someone else crank it . ?‍♂️. Told the guy at hit en mis enterprise about that ,he said that nothing he had a guy he knew the had to have 3000 ?of dental work done cause the crank hit him in the mouth. Be careful. 
I guess that chicken me out from trying to start it ,didn’t see the need ,lost interest 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 696IH said:

My 1909 8hp I restored a couple of years ago.

What I started with

Sweet! Idles right down. Have you ever had a belt on it and loaded it up?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Nah crank is a bit meh, would cost more than I paid for it to have it spray welded and remachined, so it’s just a display for now.

• Like 2