So Ive had a little trouble with the 3pt on the 686 lowering slowly once things warmed up a little (with a load on) Oil looks good, smells good, and was full.  I totally forgot to change the hydraulic filter after I purchased the tractor and did the rest of the fluids (all but the rear end) so I went to the dealership and picked up a filter.  Got home and pulled the cover plate off on the passenger side to see this.....

871DBC2F-6AFB-4B58-86FE-5837185627BD.jpeg

B3E095A0-9C13-49F6-AD8B-FE9A6A1A987F.jpeg

So the filter was cratered and definitely not working. The relief valve was plugged also (supposed to be screen mesh under the small handle) so I went back to the dealer and picked up one of those also. I take better care of my stuff than that. The machine is almost all original and in this case I don’t like that original looking part...Bet you a dollar the 3pt works better now? You think?

Ha wow, looks full of snot. Betting it hasnt been changed in a few years. Filter was obviusly made pre merger. No way of knowing if it was a new filter setting on a shelf and installed at a later date.

I knew it had to be manufactured pre-merger for sure. Shame on me for not changing it already I guess. Everything worked on the tractor but it was just slow going down after it got warmed up. Twice since I’ve owned it I’ve seen hydraulic fluid leak out under the platform a little bit.  Looked at everything but saw no leaks??  I can’t make the problem occur, just once in a great while.... The breather is under there also so with the filter plugged it must have been pressurizing the rear end just enough to force a little oil oil it the breather which would make sense. 

• Like 1

There might be some old stock out there. Looks like the filters I have been pulling from my 560 tractors. I am going to drain the oil in one as it looks like fine rust in the oil. That one sat for 25 years or so before I got it to resurrect. The other 560 was running when I got it but I should have dumped the oil and change filters right away. The filter had enough water in it that the filter media was sucked out. I have lost track but I bought probably ten over the course of two years working on the hydraulics for them. They will run for a few days and then plug, trying to run them in road speed to get the oil moving good. Both have had the oil changed at least twice. Any suggestions short of parting them out. I have three more filters on order now.

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

So Ive had a little trouble with the 3pt on the 686 lowering slowly once things warmed up a little (with a load on) Oil looks good, smells good, and was full.  I totally forgot to change the hydraulic filter after I purchased the tractor and did the rest of the fluids (all but the rear end) so I went to the dealership and picked up a filter.  Got home and pulled the cover plate off on the passenger side to see this.....

871DBC2F-6AFB-4B58-86FE-5837185627BD.jpeg

B3E095A0-9C13-49F6-AD8B-FE9A6A1A987F.jpeg

So the filter was cratered and definitely not working. The relief valve was plugged also (supposed to be screen mesh under the small handle) so I went back to the dealer and picked up one of those also. I take better care of my stuff than that. The machine is almost all original and in this case I don’t like that original looking part...Bet you a dollar the 3pt works better now? You think?

You otta be ashamed of yourself!

• Haha 1

Thats been in there a while it could even be original looking at the bypass. 

Flushed my bypass on my 656 via this method, you can flush the bypass if you shim some 1/4 or 5/16" nuts to force the bypass open.  This allows you to flush it in the mineral spirits tank cleaning the bits off the screen.

5 minutes ago, 460 said:

Thats been in there a while it could even be original looking at the bypass. 

Flushed my bypass on my 656 via this method, you can flush the bypass if you shim some 1/4 or 5/16" nuts to force the bypass open.  This allows you to flush it in the mineral spirits tank cleaning the bits off the screen.

That’s a good idea on the bypass. The spring and valve were clean but the screen was fully plugged. I knew I could clean the screen but figured the cork portion of the valve would suffer so I bit the bullet on a new one so I knew what I had. 

• Like 1

Only thing I’ve seen worse than that was the air filter I took out of a forklift last fall. 

Boy that sure hasn't been changed in awhile. Hope that solves your problem.

Pulled this out of an 806 3500 original hours that I bought 3 years ago.  Air filter had 1981 written on it........

D9D1810F-11C0-4A7F-8625-74578AC9E99E.jpeg

BF31C9D9-7A81-4C8D-8CE8-1FF317C28751.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, VacDaddyt said:

There might be some old stock out there.

Was just cleaning up pile of parts last weekend that I took off the 1256...this filter says IH on it but previous owner wrote date on it (can’t remember exactly if it was in the 1990s) but of course I don’t have the entire photo with the handwritten date on it and filter is probably in burn barrel already.

Just bought a nos steering part on eBay - it was in a bag from around 1987.

2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

So the filter was cratered and definitely not working

Yeah made this same mistake on my 544. I put in new filter but it cratered.  Pulled the plugs, new HyTran, and no further issues.

7462509E-E789-4428-8EE1-F1EA409C179A.jpeg

36 minutes ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

Just bought a nos steering part on eBay - it was in a bag from around 1987.

I got some NOS IH filters sitting on the shelf. Don't know if I really want to use them, so they'll probably stay where they are. 

It happens Todd. Dont beat yourself up too bad. That's the one filter that usually gets neglected until theres an issue. First question to problem... did you change filter. Yes twice 😂

Hey feels good to get that thing out of there dont it. Like new again 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Were you at the coal mine or powerplant 

Probably pushing coal at a power plant....

2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

A lot of Cat machines have an aspirator in the exhaust to preclean the air filter.  If the aspirator is damaged it will push exhaust back into the air filter.  Thus the sooted up and burned filter and repairs needed to the exhaust system.

7 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Local general / feed store, the pcv hose went To the air filter, that’s worn out engine slobber and birdseed and feed mixture to create an asphalt like substance. Sad part is it didn’t run much better when I finished with it. 
sorry to hijack.

Ok, back to Sledge's original filter. I was about to start a thread about my 504 and it's hydraulic woes. The tractor is fairly new to me, so no history. The tractor has always had this whining, singing noise from the rear. I drained the sludge and crap and pulled the filter. Mine is plugged with what appears to be the primer/glyptal?? Paint from the inside of the transmission. Any suggestions on how to flush out this crud? I was thinking about filling it up diesel and then draining it again, before putting in a new filter and oil. Any suggestions? 

43 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

Ok, back to Sledge's original filter. I was about to start a thread about my 504 and it's hydraulic woes. The tractor is fairly new to me, so no history. The tractor has always had this whining, singing noise from the rear. I drained the sludge and crap and pulled the filter. Mine is plugged with what appears to be the primer/glyptal?? Paint from the inside of the transmission. Any suggestions on how to flush out this crud? I was thinking about filling it up diesel and then draining it again, before putting in a new filter and oil. Any suggestions? 

I wouldn't think filling with diesel or kerosene or likewise would have much effect. seems like its gonna be a problem until you seal it back up maybe a full drain, remove covers and wire brush the loose? got a feeling once the cast iron is permeated its just going to keep peeling.