How much weight can you tow behind a 5488.  Wanting to build a dolly so I can pull a semi trailer 

Yea. Stopping was what I was wandering about mostly.     Iam not sure what a grain hopper weighs 

Rig up a air brake control. You will need it to release them anyway unless you disable them. This way you should be able to hook to a road tractor easily. You could probably mount the bulk of it on the dolly. 

• Like 1

Four wheel drive or two? Makes a difference along with terrain also

• Like 1

I would think how much weight you have on the tractor is a huge factor in this. 

I had not thought of the air brakes, releasing them will probably help a lot

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

Rig up a air brake control. You will need it to release them anyway unless you disable them. This way you should be able to hook to a road tractor easily. You could probably mount the bulk of it on the dolly. 

That would be a good idea.just for safety. An air tank with a guage, 12 volt air pump and a johnny bar plus another line to release the brakes is all you would need.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, dannyredfan said:

Yea. Stopping was what I was wandering about mostly.     Iam not sure what a grain hopper weighs 

How long? how high are the sides?steel or aluminum trailer? empty or full, how full? These are all variables into the equation that need to be known before anyone can answer that.

3 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

How long? how high are the sides?steel or aluminum trailer? empty or full, how full? These are all variables into the equation that need to be known before anyone can answer that.

I load 60000 pounds and have room for at least that much more. I have a 50 foot triple axel Cornhusker. 
My brother used to haul hay 40 miles with a set of flatbed doubles, pulled with a red 2394 Case mfd. Hauled 30 big rounds at a time. Took all day to make a round but he was cheap labor I guess. He quit working for the guy and the guys daughter tried doing 1 round and wrecked the entire outfit. Thankfully she wasn’t hurt. Be careful if you try it. 

I see tractors pulling in Europe all the time but they all have brakes on the trailers plus lights and what seems like really fast road gears.

My FIL used to run Butler manure tanks. They used semi-trailer axles and had the air brake chambers replaced with small hydraulic cylinders. 
Edit—they must have swapped out the S-cams on one axle because they worked by having a cylinder between the axles pushing the slack adjusters in opposite directions. 

Edited by ihrondiesel
Added

Had 25 ton loads of tomatoes behind my 2wd 5288.............In the field though, would never venture very far with a loaded trailer far on the road, stopping with any speed at all would get interesting.  With that said we had air tanks with hydraulic drive compressors to release the maxi's to pull them, you could probably rig air up to stop too, but again that would get interesting to run.  Dolly with a slideable 5th wheel is the best, you can move weight forward to put downforce on the tractor to pull,  I could get around quite well with my 2wd dualled up and the dollys we had built.  The processor built dollys with a bolted 5th wheel right over a single axle.................Had next to no tongue weight if any.  Took big 4x4 tractors to do the same job with that setup.  

Thinking a flat bed for hay.    I have a NON detach low boy. No spring chamber brakes      
I have a dolly just have to weld a hitch on. image.thumb.jpg.5b4fa08086f4bff366d897cc58fad10a.jpgI like the air idea.   Also thought about hyd cylinder on S cam. With a regulator of some sort.    Just on the dolly 

I'd prefer air to the trailer over just the dolly, but that is just me, I'd rather have a spike in the tractor so it would pull things straight braking, then piling up like an "S" stopping.  I had pictures of the dolly's here but they are on a CD that is missing along with alot of my farm pictures over the years.  

• Like 1

I've seen a 4020 power shift pulling a loaded 40 ft grain trailer in the delta many times. It was quite a sight, open station with their bugs in their teeth! Of course it's flat as a pancake there. Thx-Ace

FForgot to say, this was on us 65, us 165, etc, not dirt roads!

I pulled a 40ft semi flatbed hay trailer with a dolly fifth wheel that I could get 24 round bales on with a 560 for several years

• Like 1