856 chopping corn

Bgriffin856

Pto speed sensor went out on the 7405 on a Saturday afternoon chopping corn. Rain the following week so hot wired up the control box for the chopper and away we went. A little slower a bit rougher of a ride without a mfwd front end and the fields had washed in places because about three days after planting we had one of those four inches of rain in an hour storms. Washed out seed and saturated wet spots so some fields the corn was very uneven, poor emergence and lots of bare spots that drown out made it easier on the 856 to chop but yeild was down so took even longer to fill the wagons. Not to mention the 856 runs the blower too so it was pulling triple duty because it also hauled a wagon to and from the field. Not bad for a 51 year old tractor. The sound of the naturally aspirated D407 is one of its own running the chopper especially in heavy corn. Different as in it doesn't sound like that running anything else brought back sounds of my childhood when it was the main workhorse and we had a NH770 harvester. 1012191854.thumb.jpg.9552468c13973fde77c850bfe8fd1763.jpg1013191429.thumb.jpg.3dd191f04e27505884b52cfde37f71f9.jpg1019191406b.thumb.jpg.51508833028724b5881c9095a80cf12e.jpg 

• Like 11

Back in the late 60's and early 70's my dad and a neighbor did custom chopping for neighbors. They had a Fox pull type chopper with a 2 row head and they both had 560 gas tractors. Pulled the heck out of those poor 560's. Couldn't go slow enough in 1st TA so had to clutch at times, especially pulling wagons. We had Roorda rear unload wagons and a Fox blower. Usually the M got on the blower.. Unless we were hauling with it  Also used the 70 John Deere of the neighbor and his 300 Utility to haul silage. Felt like a midget in front of those wagons on that 300. Later dad got an 806 diesel and the neighbor got a 970 Case. Now we had power. Then they bought a Fox 2000 chopper. If dad was chopping behind a hill I just had to follow the smoke trail! Sure miss those days. 

Still have the 806 with over 17000 hours on the meter.

• Like 1

Funny how it is. A guy at work was telling me he would like to get a cheap 180hp tractor and look for a old pull type chopper, I laughed and said your 806 would do just fine. Dad ran a IH 2 row for years with his 806, he was always impressed how it handled it

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bgriffin856 said:

Pto speed sensor went out on the 7405 on a Saturday afternoon chopping corn. Rain the following week so hot wired up the control box for the chopper and away we went. A little slower a bit rougher of a ride without a mfwd front end and the fields had washed in places because about three days after planting we had one of those four inches of rain in an hour storms. Washed out seed and saturated wet spots so some fields the corn was very uneven, poor emergence and lots of bare spots that drown out made it easier on the 856 to chop but yeild was down so took even longer to fill the wagons. Not to mention the 856 runs the blower too so it was pulling triple duty because it also hauled a wagon to and from the field. Not bad for a 51 year old tractor. The sound of the naturally aspirated D407 is one of its own running the chopper especially in heavy corn. Different as in it doesn't sound like that running anything else brought back sounds of my childhood when it was the main workhorse and we had a NH770 harvester. 1012191854.thumb.jpg.9552468c13973fde77c850bfe8fd1763.jpg1013191429.thumb.jpg.3dd191f04e27505884b52cfde37f71f9.jpg1019191406b.thumb.jpg.51508833028724b5881c9095a80cf12e.jpg 

What’s the 4x4 is it a 574?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Back in the late 60's and early 70's my dad and a neighbor did custom chopping for neighbors. They had a Fox pull type chopper with a 2 row head and they both had 560 gas tractors. Pulled the heck out of those poor 560's. Couldn't go slow enough in 1st TA so had to clutch at times, especially pulling wagons. We had Roorda rear unload wagons and a Fox blower. Usually the M got on the blower.. Unless we were hauling with it  Also used the 70 John Deere of the neighbor and his 300 Utility to haul silage. Felt like a midget in front of those wagons on that 300. Later dad got an 806 diesel and the neighbor got a 970 Case. Now we had power. Then they bought a Fox 2000 chopper. If dad was chopping behind a hill I just had to follow the smoke trail! Sure miss those days. 

Still have the 806 with over 17000 hours on the meter.

We chopped with a 3688 blew with a 165 MF and hauled with a H it’s all we had now we got all kinds of 100 hp + tractors and no milk cows to chop for .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

2 row chopper I assume? We run a hesston 2 row on a 1086 and It makes her squal like a panther. Nothing that it cant handle ofcourse. You can pretty well run it on the verge of plugging in good corn and it just rips right through. 

I’m thinking it’s a 3955(?) with two row head? I had( have) a 3950 with a 2 row. I don’t think it could handle a 3 row head. 
Had a Hesston 2000-100(?) when I bought it the guy obviously ran something big into it? It had 3 out of the 4 feed rolls bent. We were able to straighten one of them and had to replace the other two. Then it had power savers(?) bolted to the bottom of the knives. We couldn’t chop in low gear with an 1850 Oliver. After we fixed it, removed those power robbers, and properly set the knives we could chop in 3 gear direct! It made a chopper out of it! 
When we spoke to the guy we bought it from, and told him the problems we had, he mentioned that WE must have ran a fence post into it!? Funny as we were never near  any fences...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 1:47 AM, acem said:

Are you still chopping corn? Thx-Ace

This was this past October

On 4/11/2020 at 2:17 PM, Missouri Mule said:

2 row chopper I assume? We run a hesston 2 row on a 1086 and It makes her squal like a panther. Nothing that it cant handle ofcourse. You can pretty well run it on the verge of plugging in good corn and it just rips right through. 

Yes two rows. I've heard of them hesstons having high capacity. I think I remember reading something somewhere they made them for another brand or vise versa

On 4/11/2020 at 4:29 PM, ky966boy said:

What’s the 4x4 is it a 574?

Yep it's a 574. Has around 13k hrs gets lots of use. Main job is manure spreader duty

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 10:46 AM, jimw said:

Funny how it is. A guy at work was telling me he would like to get a cheap 180hp tractor and look for a old pull type chopper, I laughed and said your 806 would do just fine. Dad ran a IH 2 row for years with his 806, he was always impressed how it handled it

He might want to see what the gear box horsepower rating is before he puts the power to it. Most old choppers had 150 max. Old chopper and too much power something's going to let go.

We had a Gehl 800 and my uncle's 986 sure wasn't overpowered in front of it. 1st gear in direct drive in good corn was plenty fast and he had a turbo on it. Dads 1086 didn't fly with it either but could go in 2nd. Gehls were kinda known to pull hard

49 minutes ago, 856 Custom said:

He might want to see what the gear box horsepower rating is before he puts the power to it. Most old choppers had 150 max. Old chopper and too much power something's going to let go.

after Dad got his 806, we had enough power to run a 2 row chopper. always before, it was a Farmall 300 and a New Holland 600 or 611 one row chopper, usually with the da** Wisconsin engine.  local dealer sold him a New Holland 717 with a 2 row head, rated about 65 hp iirc, with the caution not to push it. a neighbor that had farmed with Ferguson 30s helped us that fall. he couldn't get the hang of feathering the 806 pto, and took the gearbox out on the 717. after that, he was a lot more careful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ny bill o said:

after Dad got his 806, we had enough power to run a 2 row chopper. always before, it was a Farmall 300 and a New Holland 600 or 611 one row chopper, usually with the da** Wisconsin engine.  local dealer sold him a New Holland 717 with a 2 row head, rated about 65 hp iirc, with the caution not to push it. a neighbor that had farmed with Ferguson 30s helped us that fall. he couldn't get the hang of feathering the 806 pto, and took the gearbox out on the 717. after that, he was a lot more careful.

I didn't know 717s were rated that low. Neighboring dairy had one he bought used years ago. Don't know if it was a Super 717 or plain one. He only had a one row head though. Would open up the field with the Minnie U 302 diesel and after it was opened up the 986 went on the chopper and the 302 on the New Holland #'27 blower. They had Gehl 710 16' open roof wagons, they may have even been 18', because they would kick bale with them too, and unload the silage wagons with a little BN believe it or not. BN would pull them out of the field loaded right up to the blower.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 8:07 AM, Ihfan4life said:

Dion is a rebadged Hesston 

Those Dions look like beasts especially with the Kemper head. I imagine they don't sell many of them anymore. I think Deere discontinued pull types

• Like 1

Love the Hesstons.Got one,neighbors had one said it wouldn't blow haylage to back of wagon,they changed fan blades ect.Well they were running it with a JD4240,could not run ground speed fast enough,windows couldn't be combined to keep chopper full because tractor didn't have enough POWER.I ran mine with a 1066.I kept the chopper full with double windrows and ran that tractor as fast as I could.That chopper ate up the hay and would blow it clean over the back.It would make the old 10 groan for sure though.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 5:37 AM, 856 Custom said:

We had a Gehl 800 and my uncle's 986 sure wasn't overpowered in front of it. 1st gear in direct drive in good corn was plenty fast and he had a turbo on it. Dads 1086 didn't fly with it either but could go in 2nd. Gehls were kinda known to pull hard

Yup,gehls were power robbers for sure

58 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Love the Hesstons.Got one,neighbors had one said it wouldn't blow haylage to back of wagon,they changed fan blades ect.Well they were running it with a JD4240,could not run ground speed fast enough,windows couldn't be combined to keep chopper full because tractor didn't have enough POWER.I ran mine with a 1066.I kept the chopper full with double windrows and ran that tractor as fast as I could.That chopper ate up the hay and would blow it clean over the back.It would make the old 10 groan for sure though.

Probably needed liners in the spout. We ran ours with an 1850. I liked chopping with it, I hated servicing it??

10 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Probably needed liners in the spout. We ran ours with an 1850. I liked chopping with it, I hated servicing it??

Last year we kept plugging up the hesston. My bil and I were packing and his dad chopping. He complained of the same thing saying it just wouldnt throw it to the back. After about the 3rd time it plugged I finally reached up in the snout and felt the liner had wore through and fish mouthed curling back. This turned that snout into about 1/4 capacity. We pulled it out and ran without the rest of the time that day. Your right, what a different machine when it can breath. 

• Like 2

We had super 717 with 560 gas in front of it, if knives where set and adjusted rite could get hay silage to the back of Rex chopper box, otherwise not so much, corn silage no problem. 300 utility on the blower with cherry bomb rite off manifold... Loud!! Then the 1256 came to the farm and cousin ran that in front of super 717 until he got greedy with the rpms and blew 3 knives off the drum lodging 2 halfway up the chute and other shrapnel ending up in the wagon. Lesson learned. ( I think?)

Slick

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In second and third cutting we have a hard time getting it to the back of the wagon even with heavy windrows and running as fast a ground speed without stalling the tractor or plugging the feedrolls. First cutting and corn is no problem 

1001191641.thumb.jpg.1563d7b562acbc698da44f03460d702b.jpg

Normal setup20160923_154841.thumb.jpg.d95b6d64d62f01f2d1be93d090160155.jpg

Circa 2016. Had a good year that year. Not too shabby for 80day corn

20181010_173608.thumb.jpg.eca8c7d1c2b4559fe04d67d876c8ff57.jpg

2018's fun the only field we had major trouble with we gave up after this pic. Never dried out enough till August 2019 

20181012_160924-1.thumb.jpg.fc12b96ed6231dad7f398ae57d6c327d.jpg

Ended up putting chains on the front of the 7405 annoying but made a big difference20181016_185026.thumb.jpg.c5d462c177264459902d9e37095c3d98.jpg

Wet spot in a relatively dry field and planted the wagon. Start with a empty wagon chop one way too till you barely make it through the finish chopping one way on the dry side of the field. Funny part was I was doing the exact same thing the year before pretty much the same time of day on nearly the same day and same wagon

• Like 1