I tried the search function for this but no joy. Right now I have a group 27 automotive Battery in the old Drott but while it started fine last year it is notgetting the job done  after being dormant  for the winter, I tried starting it during the winter but it didn't have the power even after a full charge so I am looking for a good replacement. What are you guys running in yours?

Thanks

Well I got my crawler started today, It's been warm, I haven't got the new batteries yet but they are on the list. I noticed the ground strap on yours Mr. Figone and I am going to be replacing my current ground strap which is welding cable and grounded to a starter mounting bolt at this moment, Do you happen to know the thread/pitch of the bolt securing your ground strap to the body?  also I noticed what appears to be a terminal block with 5 or 6 connections fwd of the battery, do you happen to know what that is for or if it is even stock?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Yellow fever, it's just a ground strap to the frame of the tractor, it is grounded to one of the bolts that holds the top plate on, I believe they are 3/8-16 thread bolts. Mine has a positive ground system. There is a terminal block mounted on the seat support plate, it has the wires going to the rear lights and hour meter. Check your ground if it is positive or negative.

Thanks, My machine is negative ground , it appears from the photo that your ground strap is connected to the negative terminal of the first battery? some previous owner did a little back yard wiring and I may have to rewire it. I had to replace the glow plug switch, which may have contributed to the no start condition but all is well now.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it very much

Paul

Paul, the picture I posted is from my TD9B, it has a negative ground, my TD6-62 is positive ground. Go figure, the TD9B is a 1963, the TD6 is 1969. The batteries, support tray, hold down clamps are the same in both tractors.

Louie

Wow crazy!

I really appreciate the help, I am going to get a couple of new batteries probably this weekend and I'll have to fab some hold downs as mine are gone, yours look great. Now I'll have to trace my battery cables as both go to the Starter, the ground to a mounting bolt and the other to the Starter post. Nice Rig you got there, mines a lot rougher but still works for what I want it to do.

I'll try to post some pics of mine I know everybody likes pics and even though mine is rough I am still kinda stoked about being the only guy ion the block with a crawler.

Paul

now i am confused. have 43 and 53 TD6..neither is fully operable yet, both are in oregon and im in mid california....Presently both have single 12 volt batteries....Both I think are negative ground....43 is magneto, 53 is coil and points...

should I be changing anything, 6 volt batteries series or parrallel . go to positive ground...

Hojon,  leave the ground the way it is, one 12 volt battery is ok as long as it has enough amps. If it's working don't change it. I do not know why one of my tractors is negative and the other positive ground, it's working so I don't question it. My TD6 I bought new, one of the last TD6-62 series (1969) positive ground is how it came. My TD9B I bought used so I don't have the history on it, it has negative ground.

When I bought my 53 TD6, someone had put a single 12v in it as a negative ground, but failed to change the wiring on the coil and ruined the coil.  I replaced the coil, hooked positive ground and it starts, runs and charges the battery (single 12v) just fine.  Now I need to put lights on it. 

8 hours ago, Hojon said:

now i am confused. have 43 and 53 TD6..neither is fully operable yet, both are in oregon and im in mid california....Presently both have single 12 volt batteries....Both I think are negative ground....43 is magneto, 53 is coil and points...

should I be changing anything, 6 volt batteries series or parrallel . go to positive ground...

as has been discussed before ,generally 6 v was pos gnd 12v neg gnd and series or parallel was the same with out put

the only caveat, relevant today would be proper heavy u.s.a. cables for 6v and when running coil confirm same ground and polarized to charge

so if 2 6v in series it remains 6v

https://www.google.com/search?q=paralell+batterieas&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS520US570&oq=paralell+batterieas&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.8140j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8