682 mower deck spindle bearings

trying to replace the bearings on my 44c mower deck but cant find the right part.  by the pics iv seen the part no. ih st745 looks correct but very expensive.  it comes as an assembly including the spindle shaft and bearings which is how mine came apart.  if I could get the old bearings off the spindle then maybe to just buy bearings, race and seals.  Has anyone ever done this?  do you know correct part numbers?  thanks

Just did this on my deck. Went to Motion Industries and got the parts. 

2.    LM11910 cup 

2.    LM11949 cone

2.     12384 seal

The bearings were a slip fit on the shaft. Came off really easy. Nothing wrong with the shaft so I used it again.  And there was a spacer between the two bearings. 

striker782 sounds like I have something different because mine seems to be pressed together and ill likely destroy the bearings taking them off. I contacted motion industries and he was very helpful giving the measurements on the numbers you provided.  when I get my spindle shaft separated from the bearings I can measure it and get it taken care of.  thanks for the info, it should save me some money.

Thanks striker782.  I ordered the same st745 shaft/bearing assembly as was on the deck originaly. Farmpartsstore.com had them for $87 a piece which was cheaper than buying the kit to convert them like diagram you sent.  Someone will probably update them years from now but it wont be me.

St745 is a "water pump bearing " and only serviceable as a unit......or full spindle kit.....

Mr. Plow that's interesting because over the many times that I typed st745 in for a search I never found anything about a water pump.  And the few dealers I spoke with on the phone didn't recognize the part number.  I'm second owner of the 682 and about 90% sure the deck bearings are original.  The deck was unused and off the tractor most of its life.  The spindles are free and have very little if any play but the bearings are pitted and I'm tired of the noise they make.  This small job has become an unexpected scavenger hunt for correct parts. And much more expensive than I thought it should be.  Higher quality ear protection may have been the way to go on this project.

They weren't for a water pump necessarily,  but of that type.... sealed, non serviceable bearings......

They have been a Cub Cadet maintenance/repair sticking point for over 20 years. 

With the cyclops series, rough time frame,  (yellow decks) they switched back to the tapered roller bearings  ( the kit you can buy to retrofit older decks).

Thanks for the info. I hope to have the deck back together and painted this weekend. I actually just got the ok from the "boss" the buy new rear tires as well. Told her it seems a shame not to replace them since I'm painting the rims too.  Plus its a safety thing because the old dry turf tread wont hold me on the slopes like new firestone bar tread.  I new that would get her since she has watched me slide the hillside every year for the last 30.

• 2 weeks later...

The ST745 waterpump bearing actually last a long, long, l-o-n-g time. I ran my 129 CC with 44C deck for 18 years, just gave each spindle 2-3 shots of grease before I mowed every time. My 50C has been a great deck too, UNTIL, the thing started stripping or streaking the yard, the shaft was loose in the the stamped steel bearing housing. Brass shim stock inside the housing tightened it up for one mowing.  I paid my friends at Carter & Gruenwald a visit. $178 including tax and and I had a new bearing, new top & bottom housing half, new woodruff key, old pulley was fine. Mower doesn't streak anymore.

What hurts is my buddy refurbished his 48 inch Deere deck, new bearings and seals for all 3 spindles, for $57. At his local Deere dealer.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I am rebuilding my 44C and it has Timken LM11949 and matching cups. The seals under the pulley are blown out allowing grease to come out there instead of under the cup adjacent to the blades. The center spindle is ok. I plan to replace the seals under the pulleys and under the blade. Since there are seals top and bottom how is the grease supposed to come out of the blade side seal when pumping into the zerk? Should I just repack the bearings by hand? 

On 10/25/2020 at 10:47 AM, Mad_River said:

Since there are seals top and bottom how is the grease supposed to come out of the blade side seal when pumping into the zerk? Should I just repack the bearings by hand? 

Bottom seal is installed backwards so grease can flow past it. I wouldn't hand pack the bearings.  Just grease them using the zerk after reassembly. 

• Like 1

My dad made me grease our 44C every time the deck was off for cleaning and sometimes more often than that. Over 30 years of mowing and it still has the original bearings. My dad thought the 44C is really a Woods mower. LM11910 cup and LM11949 cone are used on our Woods mower as wheel bearings.

54 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

My dad made me grease our 44C every time the deck was off for cleaning and sometimes more often than that. Over 30 years of mowing and it still has the original bearings. My dad thought the 44C is really a Woods mower. LM11910 cup and LM11949 cone are used on our Woods mower as wheel bearings.

It's not a Woods deck.  I can't remember who built all of IH's attachments, but it wasn't Woods. I'm thinking Ohio Steel, but that may not be correct.  Just because a Woods mower happens to use the same bearing doesn't prove anything.  I'm sure you can find that same cup and cone in a vast assortment of different applications. 

11 hours ago, lightninboy said:

I assume Cub Cadet built it themselves in Cleveland.

44C began production with the 82 series still under IH.  Carried over to CCC after the buyout.  IH didn't stamp them, I'm almost certain.  The same company made CCC and JD attachments in the same era.  A JD (and other brands also) rear tiller, front snowthrower even the blades are nearly identical and use the same parts.  I'm sure whoever it was building them, stamped out the mower decks too.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 10:14 AM, J-Mech said:

Bottom seal is installed backwards so grease can flow past it. I wouldn't hand pack the bearings.  Just grease them using the zerk after reassembly. 

Good to know. I think the past owner had the bottom seal backwards which blew out the top seal under the pulleys. The seals were installed the same way on top and bottom (see pic).  The bearings on the closed end of the deck were corroded and loud.  I bought 2 Timken SET2 and seals from Messicks to reinstall. I am waiting on parts. 

87124201-C0F4-4DFC-95D7-AE7F4328D60C.jpeg

Amazes me how many people buy online from Messicks.  They are not the best online source for parts.  Especially for bearings and seals.  Way better places to buy from.  

4 hours ago, Mad_River said:

What places are better?  I did check cub cadet specialties. 

Well, anywhere is better than CC specialties!! That guy is a crook!! 

A bearing a seal supplier is the best place to go for bearings and seals.  Lots of them to choose from and way cheaper than a dealer.  Or, plug the bearing and seal numbers into the Google machine and take your pick.  

• Thanks 1