1086 clutch specs and fixing oil leak?

OMG!

I just installed a USED rearend in a pickup.

So you`re saying I wasted my time/$?

Guess I better rip it back out now. and buy a new one!....sigh. 

You still need more work on your people skills Mech....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG! I just installed a USED rearend in a pickup. So you`re saying I wasted my time/$? Guess I better rip it back out now. and buy a new one!....sigh.  You still need more work on

Not everyone can borrow something for a year for free........if you haven't seen what is happening in the beef/pork markets and the dairy industry which will hit crop prices next, I hate to break it t

Thanks for the nformation. I'll look in those spots for the leaks. I'm pretty sure the leaks caused the slipping. However the pressure plate has alot of wear. The other pressure plate is leftover

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, MTO said:

OMG!

I just installed a USED rearend in a pickup.

So you`re saying I wasted my time/$?

Guess I better rip it back out now. and buy a new one!....sigh. 

You still need more work on your people skills Mech....

Please post the amount of minutes it lasts before it grenades?  I am reading here it is 100% instant failure?

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Please post the amount of minutes it lasts before it grenades?  I am reading here it is 100% instant failure?

Plus, I bought 2 pair of used/worn boots on ebay.

I wonder if seller will take them back... sigh.

Had I known all this before about used stuff, I never would have done it.....

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a flame war.

I think it will work ok once I get the oil leak fixed.  The IPTO gear splines on both the shaft and pressure plate are thin but will work for a while.  I'll try to keep her off heavy pto work and it should last for a while.  If I can get a few years on the repair I will be happy.  Then it will probably need everything redone from the flywheel to the IPTO gear.  At that time I plan to remove the speed transmission to fix the reverse idler gear shaft.  The reverse gear has play and jumps out of reverse.  

Interestingly this tractor was bought new by the Winthrop Rockefeller farm that owned an international dealership at the time.  I am the third owner of the tractor. It has done more cattle work in its life than row crop and came with a 2450 loader.

Thx-Ace 

Oh you guys are a barrel of fun.  It's great to see someone take a comment, roll it in the mud and turn it into something else.  Reminds me how the media treats Trump.  I'll once again be on my way.  Said my thing, and now I'll go.  Good to see Mark over on this end of the forum participating though! 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, acem said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a flame war.

Not your fault Ace.  Some people just don't have anything better to do. 

10 minutes ago, acem said:

I The reverse gear has play and jumps out of reverse.  

Thx-Ace 

I just split a 1466 for  a TA this morning and it has this spacer washer in front of the reverse shaft. I guess it should have the reverse shaft puled out and checked. 

KIMG0795.JPG

I agree 100% with J-Mech Fixing things right the first time!

But I also understand that when you don’t have the funds or the time to fix it you do what you have to do to make it work....you said if you have to redo it in a couple of years it’s your time not and having to pay somebody else to do it....besides what would you rather do sit on the couch for 10 hours binge watching some TV show or be out in the shop tearing something apart and fixing it?

Sometimes I feel like the “king“ (But I’m sure there’s better people at it or have done it more than me) patching up equipment just to get the job done!

it usually takes me eight or nine hours of labour to split a 86 series to change the clutch, I have my 786 split right now to have a new clutch and PTO gears changed,I originally split it apart because it was leaking hy-Tran and making the clutch slip, but it also needed the PTO gear changed because the splines were pretty much wore out!

here’s a couple of pictures for entertainment purposes....

D4DD866E-3C46-4C8C-8B4C-2C5BA3B7222B.jpeg

98E83E88-33BE-4976-9CBA-BE0004AC661E.jpeg

• Like 2

I got this information from Wenz Service years ago. They have c rings to install on the reverse gear that limits travel of the collar. It can be done through the opening when the cover is removed. I used this on an 806 and it worked well.  He also has a washer that can go on the shaft that replace the broken or missing thrust washers without splitting the tractor too. I believe his business has been sold to Barker Tractor and Truck Repair in Minnesota. I got some stuff there a month ago. 320-857-2230 or 320-894-0189. The snap ring is just a Fastenal number 68112 with the ends cut off.  

Ace, if you want to try them I'll mail some to you. I don't have any of the split washers though. 

image.thumb.png.79ce87d225a2cbe402e5e11bae59cadc.png

image.thumb.png.03c9430f78c6c307c8144e03aa1e80d8.png

image.thumb.png.9c46886876c8262adb4a07d7c0f43463.png

KIMG0796.thumb.JPG.2be0445ba733ad9a7a5506c050afc823.JPG

We usually keep a pile of old parts just in case. Sorry for extra pictures fat thumb hit to many. And that overcenter clutch is a spendy unobtainable one. Just imagine how many I returned for core. But don’t know a thing about a clutch. Some of those jd 5020 discs I riveted my self 

3A439D93-4FC0-4CE6-B72B-B7386412B508.jpeg

4A1E3BF0-A2D8-44C5-95D7-C0C0FD662628.jpeg

FB3DD520-D628-4AA1-BCC2-3792D59B777A.jpeg

F35EBA9F-FE96-40F1-92D8-420B90937026.jpeg

ED616DF4-86DC-4709-A21B-226143AA26D9.jpeg

FF38046C-D222-4C82-AFE3-C2F4C0C27790.jpeg

DD2412BE-CFA4-4442-A187-79340889F508.jpeg

6D824298-8E80-4C35-990C-418A2524D5E3.jpeg

If you have a 4366 make sure the clutch is adjusted, you don't want to pull that clutch, i did my share of cutting corners when I was younger and had 5 kids at home, running tires till they were past wore out, putting used batteries in our vehicles, it was all worth it , when times are tough, the tough keep going.  Steve

3 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Those split washers I have seen somewhere?  McMaster?  Grainger?  Seen them in person I believe in the parts warehouse my wife runs at her work.

Speeco makes those, they’re called a split shim washer I think.  You can find them fairly easily 

Dale, I can't get your pics to load. It may just be my bad internet.

I thought about making some c rings like that but I was afraid they would not stay in place. How do they hold up?

II helped a friend make a c washer for his 1466. We used a piece of flexible plastic line (like they use on traveling gun irrigation reels). It worked ok but he just used his tractor for feeding hay. I didn't think it would last long.

II think I   found the split rings here.

https://www.huyett.com/Products/Fasteners/Washers/Quick-Repair-Washers

II borrowed the proper seal driver from a friend.

Thx-Ace

From what I've read here our 766 should have never ran lol. The splines were shot on the IPTO shaft and in pressure plate, and when we split it the input shaft was barely grabbing already. So, we had a 856 that the motor was shot in so we split it beside the 766 and swapped the factory TA delete into the 766, and used the clutch and pressure plate from the 856, which only had maybe 1500 hours. The only thing we bought new was a gasket set. That was 11 years ago now and still going strong. Baled hay for 8 years and still does it's fair share of loaderwork. Put on probably almost 4000 hours since then. That was the cheapest fix and worked out awesome. Only cost us our time. And, all the parts that came out of that 856, which were all original with all of 10 000 hours, looked like brand new. I wouldn't be afraid of using used parts if they look good. We have done lots of repairs with used parts and never had a failure because of it. Also having a good salvage yard who will not sell anything that doesn't look really good helps alot.

Dad bought some parts years ago at a sale and there was a brand new clutch marked for a 1466. Had one look at it when we were sorting through stuff and dad said I throw out clutches with more pad on them that. For being brand new it is very disappointing. I forget the brand but needless to say we never used it and never will. I would put a well used clutch in before I put that new one in!

Get the seal in and slap the better of the clutches in and you'll be back in business! As long as the IPTO shaft holds out you should be ok. If it is getting worn pretty good your clutch will last longer than it will. 

16 hours ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

But I also understand that when you don’t have the funds or the time to fix it you do what you have to do to make it work....you said if you have to redo it in a couple of years it’s your time not and having to pay somebody else to do it....besides what would you rather do sit on the couch for 10 hours binge watching some TV show or be out in the shop tearing something apart and fixing it?

Sometimes I feel like the “king“ (But I’m sure there’s better people at it or have done it more than me) patching up equipment just to get the job done!

it usually takes me eight or nine hours of labour to split a 86 series to change the clutch, I have my 786 split right now to have a new clutch and PTO gears changed,I originally split it apart because it was leaking hy-Tran and making the clutch slip, but it also needed the PTO gear changed because the splines were pretty much wore out!

Holy! Not much meat left there! It's amazing how those can wear down so much. We had a 966 apart here that has done very little PTO work. Maybe ran a fertilizer spreader a handful of times in 30 years, and really doesn't get used that hard or much. 100 hours a year tops. And the splines were not far off what yours looks like

59 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Holy! Not much meat left there! It's amazing how those can wear down so much. We had a 966 apart here that has done very little PTO work. Maybe ran a fertilizer spreader a handful of times in 30 years, and really doesn't get used that hard or much. 100 hours a year tops. And the splines were not far off what yours looks like

My 966 was pretty bad this last winter when I had it apart, and the only PTO work that tractor does is on a sprayer.  You’ve got to remember that even if the PTO doesn’t get used, the shaft is still turning back to the PTO clutch.......

3 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

My 966 was pretty bad this last winter when I had it apart, and the only PTO work that tractor does is on a sprayer.  You’ve got to remember that even if the PTO doesn’t get used, the shaft is still turning back to the PTO clutch.......

And running two hydraulic pumps.

• Like 2
On 4/9/2020 at 3:49 PM, Qc.Can.IH man said:

With those spline wore in an arc I would be making sure your flywheel run-out is in spec.

15 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

Yes and if it does alot of hydraulic work that doesn't help too

22 hours ago, db1486 said:

I just bought the tractor in 2017, the previous owner used it daily on a TMR mixer to feed his cattle.

I’ve been using it to rake and Ted Hay and pump manure, it was ready to let loose any time!

I’ve had lots of these tractors get that part changed, for me is just normal wear… It would be nice if they could make the hub a 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch longer so it would use up more of the spline on the shaft!  Maybe they would last a little longer! 

13 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

With those spline wore in an arc I would be making sure your flywheel run-out is in spec.

I’m taking the flywheel in to have it turned this week, other than the hub being warn out on the pressure plate there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with it but I will be taking it in to have it checked at the same time.  Thanks for the tip! ??

Curious if I'm the only one, but most of the clutches I do, the pressure plate or flywheel take almost as much wear as the clutch itself.  This ceramic lining is TOUGH.  If not for slop in the center hub or dampening springs being pooched, could probably reuse the disk 

10 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Curious if I'm the only one, but most of the clutches I do, the pressure plate or flywheel take almost as much wear as the clutch itself.  This ceramic lining is TOUGH.  If not for slop in the center hub or dampening springs being pooched, could probably reuse the disk 

I was very surprised to see that the pressure plate had absolutely no wear on it, The flywheel on the other hand had a bit of a groove in it and the pads on the disc was completely wore out on the fly wheel side and the pads on the pressure plate side were almost twice as thick..

It’s always a mystery buying old tractors.... you never know what the previous owner or mechanic did just to get it running! 

35 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

That's how ceramic clutches are.  They wear out pp and flywheels.  But, the don't slip, and last forever if you have a good operator. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

It’s what you define Wear.    Now Everyone will go crazy but this comes from very well respected professional. If pp is close to depth spec don’t turn them. This gets a lot  into semi flywheels that are about 1000 or more a piece. You turn a flywheel a couple times and it is kaput. You don’t know how many flywheels I have replaced where a clutch was replaced shortly before and starts slipping. Clutch hub rides on flywheel bolts. You take every thing apart put all new parts in that were just replaced. Turning flywheel cost tractor owner another 1500 dollars 4 months after expert clutch repair was performed. Old Chevy 350, 400 454 427  366 6.2 6.5 ,6.9 , 360 390  300 six fords and what not I used to have to fix them after expert clutch repairs. Pull the turned flywheel and either shim it or toss it. Then replace everything fork pivot stud and always used a diaphragm pp when available to make easy stepping clutch. One thing no one says clutches are not used in many things anymore. JD quit dry clutch in the big tractors in 73, used them later on Mannheim stuff. Ihc quit them in 83, almost all autos are automatic and most heavy trucks are going that route.

In memorandum don’t turn flywheel unless absolutely necessary. The little groove on outside don’t bother anything and yes brass or ceramic discs will wear to nothing and you can reuse flywheel get 10 more years. The reason I say don’t turn flywheel is most people do you loose the depth , clutch only lasts 2 months if left alone it would have gone 10 years. If in doubt make sure all specs on flywheel are good or toss it in trash buy a new one. 

• Like 1