Did a little classic Red Power tillage.

2 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

They sure ruin the never tiller's day on agtalk!!!!!!  

There will always be an internet superstar know-it-all to tell you what to do. The problem is, they aren’t willing to pay you to change or make payments on your ground.  Most people here have gotten away from no-till and have seen better returns. 

@billonthefarm maybe you should park a tractor and plow in a pasture and take a pic for them labeled “no-till” 😁

looks like u have a ways to go...........darn it, have to listen to the ole girl sing a little longer - looks like a pretty day to be out there - thanks for sharing 

14 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

The ground is SO FLAT!  You can see water towers, silos and stuff over 5 miles away.  Up NORTH of you around the Quad-Cities we have flat/level patches but nothing like your ground. Hills make farming interesting!

Hills make everything interesting.

Bill how fast can you pull that chisel plow???

We have the exact same one. Anything over 5 mph it starts hopping real bad, have to slow way down.  At times it will hop at slower speeds in the right dirt, super annoying. Wondering if you've had it happen to you.

I pulled ours through my sand ground Thursday nite till 9 when the rain started.

20200402_152312.jpg

14 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

We have the exact same one. Anything over 5 mph it starts hopping real bad, have to slow way down.  At times it will hop at slower speeds in the right dirt, super annoying. Wondering if you've had it happen to you.

I pulled ours through my sand ground Thursday nite till 9 when the rain started.

20200402_152312.jpg

Looks like it was burying trash nicely. 

We found that with the hopping issue it was directly related to how deep our hard pan was. Stay right at the hard pan and no hopping, sink it as deep as we could pull it and hop ours did too. We had the factory weight brackets on ours, put the suitcase weights on and slow the 14 down a little and then it didn't hop. 

I wanna know how you keep straight lines? Never could drive straight even with auto steer. 😡

30 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

We found that with the hopping issue it was directly related to how deep our hard pan was. Stay right at the hard pan and no hopping, sink it as deep as we could pull it and hop ours did too. We had the factory weight brackets on ours, put the suitcase weights on and slow the 14 down a little and then it didn't hop. 

Same here. I have a Glencoe Soil Saver and I had my neighbor's 7240 on it to try and make better time. The tractor just started jumping around over 5 MPH. Had a lot better traction than my 1466 at the time though!

12 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

There will always be an internet superstar know-it-all to tell you what to do. The problem is, they aren’t willing to pay you to change or make payments on your ground.  Most people here have gotten away from no-till and have seen better returns. 

Interesting.....here schools and guys have tried min to no till.  All silage fyi.  5t difference when plowed.  We all want it to work...but with $20k/a land we need ever # we can get.  Buddy inland on dryland says they have bit less yield but save so much on fuel an wear its still better. Seams alot till like every 5 7 years.  That true?  No till sure has to be cheaper.   But eveyone has dif soils and situation so hard to say X is better than Y

Nice pic Eric 

56 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Same here. I have a Glencoe Soil Saver and I had my neighbor's 7240 on it to try and make better time. The tractor just started jumping around over 5 MPH. Had a lot better traction than my 1466 at the time though!

Tractor doesn't hop chisel plow does, not much hard pan here lots of moisture and frost. I can pull the neighbors 9 shank Glencoe faster and it stays planted, deep too.

Thinking the little IH chisel is just to light for 6 wheels and 180HP.

19 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

Tractor doesn't hop chisel plow does, not much hard pan here lots of moisture and frost. I can pull the neighbors 9 shank Glencoe faster and it stays planted, deep too.

Thinking the little IH chisel is just to light for 6 wheels and 180HP.

You need a Disk chisel from Allis or a later green version.  Built a vertical tillage tool out of one years back, God were they ever built well and heavy.

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

Interesting.....here schools and guys have tried min to no till.  All silage fyi.  5t difference when plowed.  We all want it to work...but with $20k/a land we need ever # we can get.  Buddy inland on dryland says they have bit less yield but save so much on fuel an wear its still better. Seams alot till like every 5 7 years.  That true?  No till sure has to be cheaper.   But eveyone has dif soils and situation so hard to say X is better than Y

Nice pic Eric 

We tend to see several 1 pass tillage tools. A lot of guys still disk a lot. Haven’t seen actual plowing much since the early 70’s according to others (I wasn’t around yet). Stalks get worked more than bean stubble.  Zero dairies and very little fed corn. Where corn on corn is planted stalks get worked in the fall if possible and then a quick pass in spring and plant. Ground around here is everything from gumbo and creek flat to white clay. Not nearly as flat as the first pictures or as dark. 

31 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

We tend to see several 1 pass tillage tools. A lot of guys still disk a lot. Haven’t seen actual plowing much since the early 70’s according to others (I wasn’t around yet). Stalks get worked more than bean stubble.  Zero dairies and very little fed corn. Where corn on corn is planted stalks get worked in the fall if possible and then a quick pass in spring and plant. Ground around here is everything from gumbo and creek flat to white clay. Not nearly as flat as the first pictures or as dark. 

CIH dealer took a 1 pass eco till or something out last fall.  Man...it did good job after corn silage.  Now....can it work down the rye cover?   I think be a clumpy mess.  Friend who grows silage year over year has a Frontier 1 pass thing.  Hits sprayed cover 2x and plants.  But has started plowing 20 30 ac a year again.  What ever works

8 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

Looks like the speed lever's in third, so maybe 5 and 6 mph?

10 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

The ground is SO FLAT!  You can see water towers, silos and stuff over 5 miles away.  Up NORTH of you around the Quad-Cities we have flat/level patches but nothing like your ground. Hills make farming interesting!

Yep, either going up/down and leaning left  or right 

4 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Looks like the speed lever's in third, so maybe 5 and 6 mph?

Low 3rd direct throttle wide open.  GPS on my phone indicated fairly steady 4.3-4.4 mph.

13 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

20200402_152312.jpg

I can’t go 5mph!  It’s a load for the ten in low 3rd.