4585 Clutch ,need one.

cwinn

What's the best route for a new clutch in a 4586 that still has the v8 in it ? Asking for a friend ,just wants stock quick fix. All our good partsman have retired... Pressure plate is junk. 

13 minutes ago, cwinn said:

What's the best route for a new clutch in a 4586 that still has the v8 in it ? Asking for a friend ,just wants stock quick fix. All our good partsman have retired... Pressure plate is junk. 

Any truck place should be able to fix you up.

No one had a clutch pp for exchange when we did ours.  Had it rebuilt.  If the PP is junk, good luck finding a rebuildable one.  Hard to come by now.  AG Parts in the link up top didn't have an echange a year ago, but may now.  It is an obsolete pp, but I see no reason it couldn't be replaced with a different dual disc.  But the flywheel will have to be either machined to accept, or changed.  PP centers on a lip on the flywheel.  It's not a step flywheel like most trucks are.  Kind of an odd set up, but that's what you run into on stuff that old.  Do yourself a favor and go ceramic button on the disc.  If you need more info, just ask.  I just went through all this a year ago. 

1 hour ago, cwinn said:

You can rebuild pressure plate with parts from a truck or clutch shop. They were a fairly common unit back when. The last ones I did you could still get parts at most any place. . I used to take pp apart replace the bearings and and what was needed back when

1 minute ago, dale560 said:

You can rebuild pressure plate with parts from a truck or clutch shop. They were a fairly common unit back when. The last ones I did you could still get parts at most any place. . I used to take pp apart replace the bearings and and what was needed back when

All internals are still available,  but the cast cover is not.  So, depends what he means when he says it's "junk". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwinn said:

Here are pictures of clutch have your buddy pull it out and find a heavy duty clutch ,brake shop or old truck repair place. It was a common clutch for older trucks back when I used to replace them. You don’t have to pull cab to put clutch in but it is a workout doing it that way. After last one I did I found the factory tools. Before I had homemade rail a hook

i was never good at remembering numbers, when I needed parts Years ago there were only 4 basic clutches used on all semis ,tractors. For a long time these were 300 rebuilt. If you bought a pallet full of various clutches from a wholesale outfit your cost was 150 in 1993/4

317D31DC-986C-43B3-A820-C24B90EFD4E3.png

98FACCFF-33ED-465A-B0FD-1060040653EB.png

6EB820CE-43A9-47D6-A635-035F87126742.png

What's the input shaft like?

Usually those are toast too.

Depending on serial # the flywheel could be the old "pot" style.

If the input shaft is shot - upgrade from the 1 3/4" to a 2" input shaft while you are at it.

Hy-Cap would need to rebuild your pressure plate at the moment, otherwise they have everything else.

Any truck drive line shop worth a crap should be able to easily fix you up too.