TD 9 crawler engine

MyDrott

I bieve i have a TD-9B 1962-1974 DT-282 6 cylinder turbo diesel Crawler had a 282 Diesel engine it and needs rebuilt again i have rebuilt it before and was hard to start just does'nt hold up. I know these are suppose to be good engines but was thinking about selling it or putting a different engine in it. What other equipment has a engine that will fit or will any other engines will fit in it. It's been a few years since i have done anything with it. And could really use it at the farm.  

Drott,  I have two of the DT282's and two of the D282's, they are not hard to start, one of the DT282's (1969) has well over 12,000 hours on it, it is in need of an overhaul, I did have to have the head done once (cracked). It still is working,  it just uses a lot of oil. If the head is not done right (valves, guides) you will have starting problems, the injection pump, injectors and glow plugs need to be in good working order. They are very good engines, they do need a cool down period after working to prevent the head from cracking. Do a good rebuild job on that engine and it will serve you well.

• Like 1

I had a TD-9B which was a 66 model with the DT282 engine. I bought it in 73 and used it in Northern Minnesota in the forest winter and summer. Never had a starting problem even well below zero. Never had a way of heating it either.

DWF

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 10:22 PM, MyDrott said:

I bieve i have a TD-9B 1962-1974 DT-282 6 cylinder turbo diesel Crawler had a 282 Diesel engine it and needs rebuilt again i have rebuilt it before and was hard to start just does'nt hold up. I know these are suppose to be good engines but was thinking about selling it or putting a different engine in it. What other equipment has a engine that will fit or will any other engines will fit in it. It's been a few years since i have done anything with it. And could really use it at the farm.  

I think the 560 IHC diesel tractors have that engine ...

Put a 5.9 Cummins in it and have a usable and easy to start tractor when you are done!  And it can be done for less money than rebuilding an old 282.  contact me if interested.

ed