Found another weird tool in moms stuff

lorenzo

8C9648E8-DF48-44D2-B5AB-08FD2012D462.thumb.jpeg.450eab1d94e048b43f19f1d2fae0d1b0.jpegI’m sure one of you guys will know , I’m not sure unless it’s just simply an adjustable wrench for square nuts. 

If so , I’m sure glad tools have advanced. 

I threw in some needle nose for scale. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

8C9648E8-DF48-44D2-B5AB-08FD2012D462.thumb.jpeg.450eab1d94e048b43f19f1d2fae0d1b0.jpegI’m sure one of you guys will know , I’m not sure unless it’s just simply an adjustable wrench for square nuts. 

If so , I’m sure glad tools have advanced. 

I threw in some needle nose for scale. 

You said your Mom’s toolbox? Do you have any siblings? This might ‘xplain that??

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

You said your Mom’s toolbox? Do you have any siblings? This might ‘xplain that??

Definitely for keeping young loaded with testosterone boy's in line....??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looks a lot like an old time black smiths tool for grabbing the hot piece of iron out of the fire and holding it while beating it into shape against an anvil. The length is so it doesnt get so hot where you would grab it with your leather glove.  Just a guess...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

Im the baby of five .  She had a lot of her dads stuff packed away from 40 years ago that hasent seen the light of day untill now .

• Like 1

First impression is "blacksmith" not sure what it does, but looks it to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought a thickness planer from a guy who was a blacksmith. He explained to me why an anvil was always mounted on a wooden block. But to the point of this tool, he told me that often blacksmiths had their specialties. ie.. forge welding, wrought iron work, etc. and because of this they would often "build" their own tools just for themselves.  Similar to creating specialized jigs etc.   Very interesting guy.   He must have been good because most of his work was restoration stuff.

• Thanks 1

@Sledgehammer ...... forging tool ? 

• Thanks 1

oh..once again   , the "elderly  "  gentleman on this site come up trumps ……..:D

….Its a worry  , Dasnake …..however   this elderly  gentleman (?)   is now in trouble with the police.....more later.....:mellow::rolleyes:

Mike

28 minutes ago, mike newman said:

oh..once again   , the "elderly  "  gentleman on this site come up trumps ……..:D

….Its a worry  , Dasnake …..however   this elderly  gentleman (?)   is now in trouble with the police.....more later.....:mellow::rolleyes:

Mike

Whadidjadoo mike? Not social distance far enuff? Or did someone rat you out as a "gun nut".

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Whadidjadoo mike? Not social distance far enuff? Or did someone rat you out as a "gun nut".

..the former.....just  freakin' unbelievable,,.....just come up for lunch and more diesel. (For the Komatsu !!)  More later

Mike

4 minutes ago, mike newman said:

..the former.....just  freakin' unbelievable,,.....just come up for lunch and more diesel. (For the Komatsu !!)  More later

Mike

Mom and I were at safeway last weekend, now for me there is a problem, no doubt, but the politicos are going so far overboard to cover their butts and  it is putting everyone on edge. There was a lineup marking at every 6 ft to go the cash register, I did not see this and was looking at the salsa at the aisle end display, as I came around the corner I saw this lineup and asked this one young woman if this was the line for payout, she said yes and you would do good if you honor the 6 ft distance, now normally I have a real perversion for anyone who think they can reprimand me on such a thin appraisal of a situation and I react quite strongly, but I sucked it up and just smiled and walked away. Elderly is as elderly does!

• Confused 1

its a adjustable wrench for building horse drawn wagon

you will find them on farms and black smith shops and old industrial operations

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks similar to the one I have just adjustable. And I believe that they had something to do with horses shoes. For removing ice cleats or something like that. Roy 

FAF374FC-8BEA-4BA0-A3B7-26727A21E3DB.jpeg

C140557D-59A7-4B51-ACE7-B3CFDAD4B809.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Mom and I were at safeway last weekend, now for me there is a problem, no doubt, but the politicos are going so far overboard to cover their butts and  it is putting everyone on edge. There was a lineup marking at every 6 ft to go the cash register, I did not see this and was looking at the salsa at the aisle end display, as I came around the corner I saw this lineup and asked this one young woman if this was the line for payout, she said yes and you would do good if you honor the 6 ft distance, now normally I have a real perversion for anyone who think they can reprimand me on such a thin appraisal of a situation and I react quite strongly, but I sucked it up and just smiled and walked away. Elderly is as elderly does!

It feels like we’re all playing Simon says...??

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dads706 said:

He explained to me why an anvil was always mounted on a wooden block.

Would you be so kind to explain? Mine is mounted on an iron stand, but that's because it's the way it came when I acquired it. I did cut a huge block of white oak for a fellow at work that wanted to mount his anvil on though.

4 minutes ago, RBootsMI said:

Would you be so kind to explain? Mine is mounted on an iron stand, but that's because it's the way it came when I acquired it. I did cut a huge block of white oak for a fellow at work that wanted to mount his anvil on though.

Me too, why is that, my grandfather was a blacksmith in the Netherlands at the turn of the century, met him once in ‘57.