Jump to content
Ganicolis

International 2500A questions

Recommended Posts

Good morning. I have recently acquired a 2500A with a 574 base. I'll give everyone a run down on where I started and where I'm at. So I found this online talked to the guy and he just wanted this machine gone. I wasnt sure of the condition of it some I started tearing down the top end to make sure it wasnt full of mice and lord knows what else. Pulled the hood, air cleaner, intake injector lines, and valve cover off. I checked the valves and had movement with all of them. So I pulled the injectors and scoped the cylinders.  I found they where clear. I put it in a higher gear and tugged with an excavator about 3 foot and it was loose. Somewhere in all of this a rear tire blew (I dove under a work bench and my ears are still ringing). Cleaned the injectors the best I could, re installed them the intake manifold and valve cover, injector lines. Checked the oil installed the battery from my bulldozer (950CCA truck battery) hit the starter and nothing. Jumped the starter solenoid and click. Took the starter off fred it up put it back on still nothing from the key but jumped the solenoid and the engine turned over, bleed the injector lines, tightened and the engine started then went wide open throttle. Snuffed it out because kill cable didnt work, loosened the throttle up, engine fires up and runs great now. When to move the backhoe and all of the levers are stuff, removed, loosened and reinstalled those. Went to lift the machine and ofcourse blew a hose or 4 but got the machine lifted with the outrigger to be level. So now I have this old machine running again but I've hit a bit of a snag. I want to completely service this machine but cant seam to find an air filter. Does anyone know where I can find them? I asked my local dealer and the kid gave me the deer in th headlights look. Said he never heard of a 574 or a 2500A. I said not surprised they where discontinued before I was born. This machine as been sitting for over 20 years. Thanks for the help and I look forward to sharing this project as it progresses. Sorry for the book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting project. Any pictures? Im no help on the filter. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assure you, IH can still get the air filter.  Tell the kid at the counter to figure it out.  These parts guys we have now are a damn joke.  Part number 529854R2.  Congrats on getting it going again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the part number. J-Mech dont suppose you know the correct size for the banjo bolt on top of the injectors do you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be fun to play with when you get all the bugs worked out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Welcome to the forum!  Nice find, good luck sorting it all out! It will be one useful machine.

I tell you; if I walked in to a dealer (assuming CaseIH) and the parts guy said he never heard of a 574, I'd about turn around and walk out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How you get an air filter:

Walk into your friendly neighborhood CaseIH dealer's parts department. Sidle up to the desk and state, "Greetings fine sir (or madam). I am in need of an air filter for an International 574 tractor. Would you please look that up for me?"

If you get a deer in the headlights look or they tell you there is no such thing or they say they've never heard of it, you reply, "Understood. You are young and inexperienced, and cannot be expected to know every tractor that has ever been made. That is why you have that computer there in front of you. Please look it up."

If they still refuse/cannot, then you ask to speak to their manager, or the manager of the store.

Even though you now know the number for the filter, I would not give it to them if it were me. I would not be satisfied until they looked it up for themselves.

Heck if you can do it on the CaseIH website, they can do it on their purpose built computer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t walk into any dealerships around here right now, call ahead, hope they have it, we’ll put it by dumpster, you leave check in drop box. Stay 6’ away.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Can’t walk into any dealerships around here right now, call ahead, hope they have it, we’ll put it by dumpster, you leave check in drop box. Stay 6’ away.....

We still can here.  Just went into a local JD dealer yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

How you get an air filter:

Walk into your friendly neighborhood CaseIH dealer's parts department. Sidle up to the desk and state, "Greetings fine sir (or madam). I am in need of an air filter for an International 574 tractor. Would you please look that up for me?"

If you get a deer in the headlights look or they tell you there is no such thing or they say they've never heard of it, you reply, "Understood. You are young and inexperienced, and cannot be expected to know every tractor that has ever been made. That is why you have that computer there in front of you. Please look it up."

If they still refuse/cannot, then you ask to speak to their manager, or the manager of the store.

Even though you now know the number for the filter, I would not give it to them if it were me. I would not be satisfied until they looked it up for themselves.

Heck if you can do it on the CaseIH website, they can do it on their purpose built computer.

AGREED! I was going to state as such earlier, but didn't. 

They can also look up that banjo bolt..... just sayin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, I understand where you guys are coming from, but you would be surprised how many people don't know what their equipment is. I retired from the State of N.C. and went to work at the local CaseIH dealership. Customers trying to describe what they want over the phone can be priceless. Some of CaseIH's parts diagrams are not the easiest to follow and their terminology leaves a lot to be desired.  If you really want to flip a young parts guy out, ask him for spark plugs for a diesel 450!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 8:29 AM, Ganicolis said:

I appreciate the part number. J-Mech dont suppose you know the correct size for the banjo bolt on top of the injectors do you?

Any diesel shop, or tractor scrap yard, in your area should have that banjo bolt. The diesel line banjos were 3/8 fine but I am sure the return lines are smaller.

There is no diesel section on the 574 site so can't give you a part #.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found the original bolt. Going to pick up some copper washers for it tomorrow. I managed to get one rim modified yesterday but ended up digging a basement today. I am taking the 14.9-28 tires off and putting 18.4-26 on because well that's what I have available. Cutting the centers out, flipping them over and welding them back in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ganicolis said:

Found the original bolt. Going to pick up some copper washers for it tomorrow. I managed to get one rim modified yesterday but ended up digging a basement today. I am taking the 14.9-28 tires off and putting 18.4-26 on because well that's what I have available. Cutting the centers out, flipping them over and welding them back in. 

I think you'll like the "big meats" on there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, there were two different styles of air filters for the D-239, the older style had a canister with a spring clamp lock on the end cap and had a single filter using the filter element mentioned in a post above. There was a newer style that had the end cap held on by a plastic nut and it had a smaller inner filter and a larger outer filter.
When looking for engine parts on caseih.com search under D-239.

The Euro guys posted some downloadable manuals for the Doncaster built tractors over on the IH Engines board:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...