12/23 1200 Pivot Turn Planter

Looking to possibly upgrade to a larger newer planter. A dealer near us has a  Case IH 1200 12/23 pivot turn planter. Wondering if any one has one and what are your thoughts on it? Pros and cons.  We have looked at Kinze also and there are some things we like on both of them.  The 1200 currently does not have provisions for starter fertilizer so that will have to be added. Plan on pulling it with our 7140 mfd.

On 3/31/2020 at 11:00 PM, Thesd5488 said:

7140 will play with it takes more weight then power

I kinda figured that it would, I was not asking if it would pull it, what I want to know is does anybody have one and what do you think about it?  How accurate is it, seed spacing, depth control,  how does it compare to the other colors out there? Went back and looked at again and the openers and closing discs show very little wear, the linkages are tight. It has the standard monitor so it does not have all of the latest flavor of the month gadget's on it so it should be fairly simple to operate. We looked at a JD that had every possible add on on it and it looked like you would have to go to school just to start using it. At my age I need fairly simple and in the end that means less chance of a breakdown due to fancy electronics not working. This would be quite a step up from the White 6100/6900 8/15 planter splitter we are now using. The White has been a good planter for us but it is now time to upgrade. For the acreage we plant there is no way to justify a new rig. 

I've had a 16/30 1200 pivot tongue for several years, they are very good planters. The singulation is second to none , very forgiving of seed size, simple to adjust and spacing is very good. The row unit is a proven design with offset disc openers which require less down pressure to slice residue and penetrate tough soils. The only thing I would question is the monitor, if it has the simple universal display I would strongly consider upgrading to a pro 600/700. The universal display is black and white and can be very difficult to see with sun coming in the cab windows at different times of the day, the planter has capabilities that monitor can't operate. With a pro600/700 and a simple software update and a globe for GPS you'll have automatic shutoff at the end of the field and the ability to plant different populations on the go with prescriptions, this is assuming the planter is hydraulic drive not ground driven. This sounds overwhelming to someone who has never dealt with it but is quite easy to use .

They where ahead of there time for seed spacing depth control was as good as it was with the 800  you can’t real beat them   Dad had a 2000 series Kinze 8-15 I pulled a 8-30 800 I planted beans at 140 he at 180 to get a stand we would help finish each other the 800 would always be 1-2 bu better on yield monitor never planted corn together but the 800 had a better stand and seemed to always be little better to

9 hours ago, bkorth said:

I've had a 16/30 1200 pivot tongue for several years, they are very good planters. The singulation is second to none , very forgiving of seed size, simple to adjust and spacing is very good. The row unit is a proven design with offset disc openers which require less down pressure to slice residue and penetrate tough soils. The only thing I would question is the monitor, if it has the simple universal display I would strongly consider upgrading to a pro 600/700. The universal display is black and white and can be very difficult to see with sun coming in the cab windows at different times of the day, the planter has capabilities that monitor can't operate. With a pro600/700 and a simple software update and a globe for GPS you'll have automatic shutoff at the end of the field and the ability to plant different populations on the go with prescriptions, this is assuming the planter is hydraulic drive not ground driven. This sounds overwhelming to someone who has never dealt with it but is quite easy to use .

This planter has the pro 600 monitor, and is hydraulic drive. Do you know if the pro 600 monitor would be capable of variable rate fertilizer application? Do you have liquid fert on yours?

9 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

They where ahead of there time for seed spacing depth control was as good as it was with the 800  you can’t real beat them   Dad had a 2000 series Kinze 8-15 I pulled a 8-30 800 I planted beans at 140 he at 180 to get a stand we would help finish each other the 800 would always be 1-2 bu better on yield monitor never planted corn together but the 800 had a better stand and seemed to always be little better to

We bought a new 800 Cyclo back in 1988 and used it for years. Always liked it for seed depth control and plant emergence. We even bought the new row units when they came out with left and right openers to help with side draft. We traded it for a White 6100/6900 8-15 unit with liquid when it got worn out. We are still using the White but it is time to send it down the road. It does as good a job on seed spacing as any but I really think the early riser units do better on pop control and spacing. 

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Tom

The pro 600 should be able to variable rate fertilizer, I have a pretty simple setup on mine using an electric pump dropping 5 gallon in the furrow, I'm not sure what is involved with variable rate but I'm guessing some $$$ to start with.

On 4/3/2020 at 2:02 PM, SDman said:

If you have the factory CaseIH hydraulic-drive liquid fertilizer pump, you have variable-rate capability. 

This planter does not currently have liquid fertilizer on it. If we buy it I want to add it and would like to be able to utilize variable rate. Do you know what all it would take to accomplish this? This is all new territory for me. 

Thanks.

If it doesn't have anything at all on it now, I think you will find that installing the factory setup CaseIH offered back in the day would probably be cost prohibitive to do it now. CaseIH used to offer a dealer-installed accessory kit that would install the factory offered system to be added later on.... but that kit hasn't been available for awhile. So now you would have to go through the parts system...and that's where it will get spendy. Just for starters, you would need the diaphragm fertilizer pump, the hydraulic motor/bracket setup that drives it, the valve that runs it, plus the flowmeter and section valves that distribute the product to the respective rows. Also, if this is an older planter with the big square box for an electrical center(should say "AFS" on the door), then you will need another controller module/cables/harnesses for the fertilizer system as well. 

Best thing would be to find a donor planter somewhere(somebody has removed the factory fertilizer system for some reason) for these parts.