Dump truck frame welding???

td9inidaho

Hi, I have possibilities of getting a great deal on an international dump truck, problem is, the frame has a crack in the frame. The crack is in the middle of the truck, top of the frame on the flat where the box sits, it's about a foot long. Question is, is it safe to weld, or is it truely not ok to weld frames?  Any insight would be appreciated. It's a 90's double axle 50,000 lb gvw truck

Thanks 

Mark

Depends on the laws in your state.  In Illinois, it is ok to weld a frame for repair, unless it it made of ductile iron.  Then the rail has to be replaced.  Check with your state, or a frame shop. 

• Like 1

Are you saying the frame is cracked lengthwise on the top flange?

if so, and it being u dear the box it sounds like a very reasonable repair.  Anything can be welded, it just some times it’s not worth it.  This sounds like it could be done reasonably 

1 hour ago, J-Mech said:

Depends on the laws in your state.  In Illinois, it is ok to weld a frame for repair, unless it it made of ductile iron.  Then the rail has to be replaced.  Check with your state, or a frame shop. 

Never hurts to check 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Idaho is the most lawless state in the Union. Our governor was even hosted by the Pres applauding our minimal statutes and regulations. I love Idaho. As a reminder, Idaho sucks, don't move here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

my neighbor worked for Ford in the BIG TRUCK body division on frames/chassis/rebuild/wrecks etc.....concrete, dump, busses, tractor trailers, take your pick, he said they cut/welded/spliced/lengthen/shortened/double framed some of them to strengthen after repairs, and he said the only time they came back is when they wrecked again, not because of frame/repair issues. I believe him, hes old school, retired there after 37 yrs and then freightliner heard he retired and offered him more $$ to come train/work anytime he wanted in their shop - he goes in now tue/wed/thur when he has a project at home and wants some extra $$. 

id weld, brace over it if you feel the need and never look back 

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

my neighbor worked for Ford in the BIG TRUCK body division on frames/chassis/rebuild/wrecks etc.....concrete, dump, busses, tractor trailers, take your pick, he said they cut/welded/spliced/lengthen/shortened/double framed some of them to strengthen after repairs, and he said the only time they came back is when they wrecked again, not because of frame/repair issues. I believe him, hes old school, retired there after 37 yrs and then freightliner heard he retired and offered him more $$ to come train/work anytime he wanted in their shop - he goes in now tue/wed/thur when he has a project at home and wants some extra $$. 

id weld, brace over it if you feel the need and never look back 

It's not really about the ability to weld a frame.... it's about the legality of it.  If it is illegal and he gets caught, $$$$$.  We had a IH truck frame welded over the winter.  For sure it can be done.  For sure I would do it.... as long as it will pass local inspection (if applicable).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Are you saying the frame is cracked lengthwise on the top flange?

if so, and it being u dear the box it sounds like a very reasonable repair.  Anything can be welded, it just some times it’s not worth it.  This sounds like it could be done reasonably 

Never hurts to check 

Yes, it's the top rail. Cracked lengthwise

Thanks