Got the 504 diesel out for first cut alfalfa here in Kentucky. Full tank fuel been sitting in the shop since November. Starts fine, runs 10 minutes revs up and down a bit then stalls. Let it sit for a few minutes, starts back up. Does the same thing all over again. Any ideas? 

My 856 acted up similarly last fall when I was working wheat ground. It’d fire right up and run, but not long after it’d start surging every once in a while. Ran like that for a few days and then it got to the point where it would surge and then stall out. 

Ended up replacing the fuel filters (needed done anyway) and blowing out the lines, including blowing air back into the tank. That fixed it and it’s run fine since. It started happening on the last tank of fuel before the bulk tank was empty. Figured I must have picked up some crud. 

• Like 1

Sounds like the timing ring is gone on the pump (I assume this is the Standadyne pump?)  Exactly like my 806 when it failed.  Start, run long enough to get 1/2 way down the field baling hay, then die.  

Try the easy stuff first...loosen fuel cap, change filters, etc.  

• Like 2

try above  but also remove return at pump and add line to run some into clear container

a will see grit

b will run past 10 min  you know to suspect ring 

good luck

• Like 2

Very common Roosa Master DB problem. The return fitting is plugging up with the broken down flex ring bits. Pump will need properly serviced soon. To get by until can be down for a little bit, remove the top return fitting, and remove the ball and spring inside it. Hopefully it's on the top. Some pumps have the bypass system, and that fitting would be on the back side. 

• Like 3

...guess its got the freakin' virus...….:mellow:

….its ok......we have four of these little tractors....they are great  for all the small jobs  !!  Always replace our feul   filters regularly......

Mike

IMG_0665.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
19 hours ago, mike newman said:

...guess its got the freakin' virus...….:mellow:

….its ok......we have four of these little tractors....they are great  for all the small jobs  !!  Always replace our feul   filters regularly......

Mike

IMG_0665.JPG

I love that tractor.  Someday I hope to have a 504D with fast hitch and wide front.  I'm sure I could find little jobs for it, but mainly I think it would be a good match with my 312 plow at shows.

What model IH baler is that you are using?  Maybe it's just the conditions or the picture....but that pickup appears to be leaving a lot in the field.  When I used to run the baler my Dad would have had a coronary if I was leaving that much on in the field.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, IH Forever said:

I love that tractor.  Someday I hope to have a 504D with fast hitch and wide front.  I'm sure I could find little jobs for it, but mainly I think it would be a good match with my 312 plow at shows.

What model IH baler is that you are using?  Maybe it's just the conditions or the picture....but that pickup appears to be leaving a lot in the field.  When I used to run the baler my Dad would have had a coronary if I was leaving that much on in the field.

...Uuumm… ..yes.....trouble  was the rake had just flown to pieces......the rain    was imminent …..thus I started baling   on one side of the paddock  ...just to get the show on the road, while son was getting the rake going....Yeah , well spotted, but we were just trying to beat the rain....also our hay shed was on the other side of the river that runs through our place ….Bit of a panic,  that day   …...:rolleyes:  because the old 165  MF that we loaded  the hay with...decided to get a flat front tyre......and one of our helpers managed to get it stuck in the river, whilst heading over to the workshop....sigh

Baler is an IH  445   …..forever    totally reliable...picture from that day....MF165  driven across  where normally  (!!) the D6 /TD9and EX200   track machine would cross......massey, stuck with front tyre now dead flat ….sigh

Mike

IMG_0537.JPG

• Like 1

Growing up we had a row crop and utility 504D at the same time. We had a problem similar to the OP but our fix was a little different. We got caught in a rain storm with the row crop so ran it to a barn on our second farm for couple of weeks. Went to get it and it would run briefly and die. Changed filters but same. Local mechanic said probably out of fuel. Gauge shows 1/2 full. Finally dad looked in the tank and found several corn husks that had been partially burned! Someone had tried to burn us out. Took the tank off and gave it a good cleaning and never had a problem after that.