repower a 666 gas to d358 german

MR. IHC

Seems like a lot of work just to watch the motor chew itself up.  Waste of time and a good engine.  More than anything it's a sad waste.  Good luck on your project.  I don't know that anyone here will be interested now that you admit you don't care if you ruin a good engine, which it will.  Maybe you got lucky on a Cat.  Maybe Cat machines their stuff so well they can replace caps without issue.... I never had a need to replace a main cap on a C15, so I don't know.  But I do know that you won't get away with it on that old German motor.  Not for long anyway.  Just sad work from a self declared experienced tech. Wasn't going to be hard on you.  Assumed you just didn't know.... but then you stated how experienced you are. This project reflects otherwise.

10 hours ago, MR. IHC said:

Just to clear things up, yes line boring is the recommended and or best procedure, and yes when i worked at Cat i had a technical service advisor checking my work, this post is not a dyy on how to do something, i just thought i would share my little project, i am not expressing in any way that this is the best way, I don’t have the time or money to have this engine line bored , if it blows up i will take pics and share a good laugh,  i have no reason to bs anyone that is not my intent. I try to keep my posts “short and sweet “ , apparently this offends people. This is not my intent. Read at your own risk lol! Thanks

Good luck with your project. IH offered replacement main caps for the 400 series engines. I know this is a 358 not a 400.  The procedure for checking alignment is in the engine service manual. Sounds like you are experienced. If crank turns and main bearing isn’t chaffing you will be good. Years ago I overhauled a JD 3010 diesel for a real good friend. Doing it in frame went to swap out main bearings here front cap was installed backwards years ago.  I had left front and back mains on to support crank. I had to pull crankshaft out and it ended up being cracked. The cap was able to be installed right and engine has run from 1991 until now. If IHC offered caps to fit without milling they must have thought their machine process was pretty close tolerances. Don’t pay attention to the jaw flappers on here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

Don’t pay attention to the jaw flappers on here. 

I knew you'd show up eventually.  You always show up in support of poor procedures and practices, making claims about past jobs.  It's entertaining to say the least.  Installing a main cap backwards isn't nearly as detrimental than swapping from another motor.  Got any stories about doing that?  If anyone does it will be you. You probably did it 30 years ago and the engine is still going strong with 10,000 hours since the overhaul.  

Don't mind the hack job mechanic wannabes on here either.  They have more stories than 5 retired mechanics combined. With crazier claims too. 

34 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

I knew you'd show up eventually.  You always show up in support of poor procedures and practices, making claims about past jobs.  It's entertaining to say the least.  Installing a main cap backwards isn't nearly as detrimental than swapping from another motor.  Got any stories about doing that?  If anyone does it will be you. You probably did it 30 years ago and the engine is still going strong with 10,000 hours since the overhaul.  

Don't mind the hack job mechanic wannabes on here either.  They have more stories than 5 retired mechanics combined. With crazier claims too. 

You cause trouble on most all of your postings

DWF

32 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Just going to say . I have been there done that. Swapping the main cap if it fits is unorthodox but something that IH covered in their service manuals.

you can make fun of me all you want J. Everything I post on here is something I ran across in  my life. 3010 still runs never had a wrench laid on the engine or clutch changed since I overhauled it in 90 or 91

On 1/17/2021 at 5:49 PM, MR. IHC said:

I intend to plastiguage it, i am not done, i want to replace the main bearings anyway and will prolly rebuild the engine, one thing at a time

I read your post again. You plan on having engine completely disassembled?  You can easily check cap clearance then. Measure with inside micrometer. Or install cap and you can feel with your finger if cap is right. Just little things you pick up. If you are working on c15 cats you got this.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:14 PM, rustred said:

why would you need to interchange main caps on those c15 cat engine??? i am lost . keep your chit in order. just changing a crank dont mean it needs a line bore.  why would you even say such b.s. any mechanic knows this is not true. seams like your trying to pull the whole sheep over our eyes. about 35 years ago i was overhauling the neighbors  gm grain truck with the 292. the mains were not numbered and got mixed up. so i carefully used plastigage and got them back in order plus numbered them. it ran for many many years. and you saying you will check them later is something i never heard of. and when a mechanic reads something stupid of course he will set a person straight. why have the next guy read this then think ooh that guy did it so i should be able to do it also. the same goes with rod caps! if they get mixed up then you resize them back to spec. have fun.

We used to fix tons of Chevy motors. First thing you did was number the caps. That being said we had a issue with my sisters 80 Monte Carlo. I pulled it apart 305 or maybe it was 267 I can’t remember. I was in high school and dad started putting engine together.  I didn’t number the mains and rod caps got screwed up. The mains you could tell by bearing notch shadow and feel around bore circle. The rods we matched backup the same way a day few had casting slag on the outside that matched.. Looked at oil carbon on mating surfaces and bearing notch line up to shadow. Got them all back right. That car even made the trip from North Dakota to New York City , was stolen in New York and recovered a week later drove back to Minneapolis a couple years later then drove around North Dakota until she and her husband were able to buy a new car. That engine ran also never had anything other than carburetor repair or little stuff after that.

On 1/20/2021 at 8:31 PM, DWF said:

You cause trouble on most all of your postings

DWF

Yes, all 3300 of them.  And Dale never causes trouble at all suggesting that the ones advocating correct repairs are a "jaw flapper".  Give me a ******* break.  Want to discuss swapping bearing caps? Or just stir the pot?? 

Just going to say . I have been there done that. Swapping the main cap if it fits is unorthodox but something that IH covered in their service manuals.

Show me in the D358 book where it says you can swap used caps from another engine.  I have a 400 book I can look in, but I'll wager it doesn't list interchanging between engines.  I don't recall anything about buying and installing new caps, but I honestly never read it cover to cover. 

you can make fun of me all you want J. Everything I post on here is something I ran across in  my life.

I don't doubt that at all.  I just have serious doubts about the accuracy of the supposed life after.  You claim some pretty wild stuff.  I don't doubt at all that some of you stuff is still running, but I'm betting it's a lot like one of my old customers that called me earlier this week.  He is going to sell an 1835C I overhauled for him back in 2011.  Had a horrible time getting that job done and right.  Issue after issue.  He paid, and I never got any complaints.  When he called, it was still in use.  Got to talking and he told me it now had 250 hours on the overhaul..... 250.  250 hours in ten years.  Point I'm making is in all your stories there is truth.  I believe 100% that you have done everything you say you have.  I truly believe, without a single doubt, you are an honest man.  What I question is 1.) What the real issues were when you performed a "unorthodox" repair, 2.) What got fixed by accident during the repair, and 3.) The actual usage of the machine after the repair.  It's easy to say that things are still "going strong" all these years later.... but I have to wonder in some of your stories if they are like my customer.  10 years and 250 hours.  Not all your stories mind you.... just some of them. I think in many of the stories, there are things that you were quite simply unaware of that played into why some of these things you did worked.  I've actually known a few guys just like you.  Good guys.  Even had them call me when they got stumped.  They told me what they thought was wrong and we're planning to do to fix it.  Many, many, times their plan would have indeed fixed the problem, but at much more work and expense than fixing the real problem.  I can't think of any specific stories to tell that aren't extreme, such as replacing an entire engine to correct an oil consumption issue that was simply a blown turbo... Yes, when the new motor went in with a new charger the oil consumption was gone.... but...yeah.  Or replacing several sensors until finding "the one" that fixed it, when in reality it was a poor connection that caused all the problems that they fixed inadvertently when they disconnected the battery, or the wiring harness during the work.  That's the kind of thing that I think a lot of your "unorthodox" stories are. Just too many things don't add up when I read some of your stuff. Sorry.  I really do believe you... I just don't believe in the repairs. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2020 at 1:35 AM, MR. IHC said:

got everything to do it but the flywheel, can't find a used one and new are too expensive yet, had **** finding a 11 inch clutch, had to send mine in to hy capacity and have it rebuilt as no 11 inch clutch cores to be found in the country per several manufacturers, still have to change out the ft cover and oil pump as this engine came out of a payloader and the configuration would not fit between rails , luckily i have another d358 donor engine. been stalled on project as i bought a ww2 jeep ive been fixing up for the kids to drive 'jeff

Got her going last weekend runs great wont let me upload video , blew hydraulic line, fixed, what a cool tractor 

DF80EED3-12BC-4174-A3D3-DAA5E2BD28B0.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/18/2021 at 11:52 AM, rustred said:

not going to work!! we are telling you you cannot do that. has to be line bored.  the ends on the caps are ground to reduce the circumference and caps are torqued in place then a machine is used to bore or hone out all bores in one straight line. it is a big job.  what i meant by experimenting was if the original cap can be used, with other modifications ?

Worked great, no linebore just like i thought, plastiguage perfect. I knew it would work!

4B7106AB-DC6E-4836-9363-7DB15CD759D3.png

2D4AEEFB-39DB-4753-9044-1917FFD12A6E.png