On 4/5/2020 at 10:33 AM, Mike OBryan said:

James, it looked like that snubber ring is a component of the E4A mag coupling, not the F series. 

I took the mag off and put it on the bench, I don't believe there's any problem with the impulse coupling. I hooked up all the plugs to a spark jig and ran it at different RPMs and there is a spot at low rpm where there is intermittent spark. Do you think this could be from a weak magnet?  I built a magnet charger to do this and it's not all that considerably powerful. Although I went from a magnet that could not hold itself up sideways on the toolbox to one than can I would guess it's strength is 5 lbs or less. 

Mike

It would seem to me that the magnet should be a constant - so your intermittent spark shouldn't be from that.  So look for something in the rotating parts that could get shaken/or some such and cause the intermittent spark.

Now that you have remagnetised it is it only making spark in your test rig or when it is installed as well?  And if it isn't sparking installed what extra have you connected to it that wasn't on the test rig?

And this might also be worth the paper it is written on!

Well the war is over and although I came out victorious I still feel like a loser. All I had to do was close the gap on the spark plugs to about half of what they should be. I know this isn't a permanent fix, I'll need to send in the mag to be serviced. Boy she starts like a new machine tho, hand crank no problem! 

Thanks for all the support!

On 4/6/2020 at 3:35 AM, Ian Beale said:

Mike

It would seem to me that the magnet should be a constant - so your intermittent spark shouldn't be from that.  So look for something in the rotating parts that could get shaken/or some such and cause the intermittent spark.

Now that you have remagnetised it is it only making spark in your test rig or when it is installed as well?  And if it isn't sparking installed what extra have you connected to it that wasn't on the test rig?

And this might also be worth the paper it is written on!

I talked to a magneto expert and he said either the magnet or the coil or both are the culprit.

• 1 year later...

Hello had similar problem with my td18 spark / fuel but no start  The problem was the petrol ( gas) primer pipes to the inlet manifold were blocked removed them blew them out bingo she sparked up maybe worth a look

I shut off my TD-14A one afternoon after plowing my driveway.  A couple of days later it wouldn't fire.  The coil went bad sitting in the shed.

Vic