Jump to content

Recommended Posts

what diesel engine is in a 715? I have a 715 that a neighbor wants for parts. i'm thinking of keeping the engine. it has glow plugs. how many horsepower? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

what diesel engine is in a 715? I have a 715 that a neighbor wants for parts. i'm thinking of keeping the engine. it has glow plugs. how many horsepower? 

Isnt that d301. Basically a d282 without sleeves. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

glow plugs make it an earlier one. d-301, that's a d-282 without sleeves. later ones had a d-310 German engine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They were D301's and the late one's had a D310 German. I replaced a 282 with a 301 in my 706 years ago. Gave it a little extra power.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, 615 spike said:

Owners manual says 95 gross horsepower at 2600 rpm. cac

so, some less than 120 pto horsepower needed. I wonder how a 1992 5.9 Cummins compares, hp wise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 5.9 was used in so many different applications and hp ratings which I guess is a testament to how good they were but are talking a Dodge pickup of that year? I seem the remember it being written on the engine... Maybe 190hp?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Id hold onto any 236/282/301 engines as can't be too far in the future theyre gonna be getting a bit harder and harder to come by.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hardtail said:

The 5.9 was used in so many different applications and hp ratings which I guess is a testament to how good they were but are talking a Dodge pickup of that year? I seem the remember it being written on the engine... Maybe 190hp?

My 6bt Cummins in my 78 chevy ses 215hp on the engine plate, it has the p pump

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hardtail said:

The 5.9 was used in so many different applications and hp ratings which I guess is a testament to how good they were but are talking a Dodge pickup of that year? I seem the remember it being written on the engine... Maybe 190hp?

The one in our 1991 Ford F-700 is 190 hp.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 615 spike said:

Owners manual says 95 gross horsepower at 2600 rpm. cac

Ran a 715 with the 301 up to near 4,000 hours. I got to where i would change the oil every 50 hours as it seemed like after 50 hours it would use lots of oil and either change it or 2 quarts a day. I think that little engine ran so many RPMS it beat the oil to death. It never had much blow by though until after the oil was worn out. They needed a bigger oil pan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hardtail said:

The 5.9 was used in so many different applications and hp ratings which I guess is a testament to how good they were but are talking a Dodge pickup of that year? I seem the remember it being written on the engine... Maybe 190hp?

yes, 1992 dodge pickup with 92000 miles. body is shot, drivetrain and 4wd good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

yes, 1992 dodge pickup with 92000 miles. body is shot, drivetrain and 4wd good.

Bill how's the frame on the truck? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bitty said:

Bill how's the frame on the truck? 

haven't looked under it for years

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hagan said:

Ran a 715 with the 301 up to near 4,000 hours. I got to where i would change the oil every 50 hours as it seemed like after 50 hours it would use lots of oil and either change it or 2 quarts a day. I think that little engine ran so many RPMS it beat the oil to death. It never had much blow by though until after the oil was worn out. They needed a bigger oil pan

 

That's funny. My 706 with the D301 does the same thing. I plant, mow, bale and spray with it. After about 50 hours it all the sudden has blow by.  Oil change time. 9 quarts for a diesel is a bit short. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2020 at 7:35 AM, NY1468 said:

What were you thinking of using the engine for, Bill?

I acquired a 1256 that needs an engine.

4 hours ago, rjpont said:

I'd love to find  a 715 with the d301. I've got a 656 that needs a new heart!

I'll keep it in mind. the combine hasn't left yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

I acquired a 1256 that needs an engine.

I'll keep it in mind. the combine hasn't left yet.

Where is the 1256 Bill?

 I have to head your way with an empty lowbed/Landoll trailer at some point.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Where is the 1256 Bill?

 I have to head your way with an empty lowbed/Landoll trailer at some point.....

in my yard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2020 at 10:40 PM, cedar farm said:

That's funny. My 706 with the D301 does the same thing. I plant, mow, bale and spray with it. After about 50 hours it all the sudden has blow by.  Oil change time. 9 quarts for a diesel is a bit short. 

Our '63 4010 only had 8 quarts in the engine.  When it burned out it's two quarts plowing for half a tank of fuel we did a running pit stop,  I drank a Pepsi and Dad dumped in two quarts of oil. Sometimes needed 3 quarts of oil on a fuel stop. Lighter loads, like our 12 ft disk, 4-38 frt mount cultivator, could go a day or two without adding oil.  Pulled a Case 4-14 trailing plow with Midwest plow harrow. Was a 5-14 plow but 4010 couldn't get out of 2nd gear with it, pulled the back bottom off.  Those harrows sure made the first pass over plowed ground with the disk smooth with duals and WFE with wide tires, 11Lx15's.  The last winter we had it Dad had the local M&W shop rebuild the engine. No more oil burning!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Our '63 4010 only had 8 quarts in the engine.  When it burned out it's two quarts plowing for half a tank of fuel we did a running pit stop,  I drank a Pepsi and Dad dumped in two quarts of oil. Sometimes needed 3 quarts of oil on a fuel stop. Lighter loads, like our 12 ft disk, 4-38 frt mount cultivator, could go a day or two without adding oil.  Pulled a Case 4-14 trailing plow with Midwest plow harrow. Was a 5-14 plow but 4010 couldn't get out of 2nd gear with it, pulled the back bottom off.  Those harrows sure made the first pass over plowed ground with the disk smooth with duals and WFE with wide tires, 11Lx15's.  The last winter we had it Dad had the local M&W shop rebuild the engine. No more oil burning!

Our bachelor neighbor across the section had a 4010 with a Y a R cab. He died in the late 70's and it got parked under a group of trees on the yard. His sister rented out the land but wouldn't sell any of his equipment. She died in 1997 and they had a sale that fall. Couldn't believe how much stuff had been packed in that house. Anyway that poor 4010 had sat outside all those years. It only had around 1500 hours on it. It had so much water in the engine the oil filter housing had been pushed out of the oil pan from ice. Pedals were stuck. Levers where stuck. That tractor brought 5800.00 because of the low hours! I talked to the local repair shop that later worked on it. He had more than double the price into it when done. The acreage is now farm ground.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My 715-D  had a 282 on it ---the only reason I finally sold it was because it would never start, cold or hot it didnt care,----finally got the ether can out and glow plugs off and then it would go. The last year I used it, once started in the morning, I never shut it off.  ---glow plug start IH motors are a joke, 2504---same deal got 2 of them sitting here about to go to chiimna melters. I wouldnt wish them on anybody!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2020 at 6:01 PM, SONNY said:

My 715-D  had a 282 on it ---the only reason I finally sold it was because it would never start, cold or hot it didnt care,----finally got the ether can out and glow plugs off and then it would go. The last year I used it, once started in the morning, I never shut it off.  ---glow plug start IH motors are a joke, 2504---same deal got 2 of them sitting here about to go to chiimna melters. I wouldnt wish them on anybody!

You sound like me. I have never missed  the old 282 clatter banger in the 706 we used to have 30 years ago. I think the arthritis in my thumb is from holding that stupid glow plug button down. It was in the shop getting the head worked on a lot 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...