5488 powershift prototype

kruegerdiesel

4 minutes ago, acem said:

I understand the construction division was apposed to developing the 400 series ih engines. They had their own engines and engine plant. An internal company politics thing. Thx-Ace

No if you read the article, construction In the 6Os wanted and was seeking a new engine. the rest of the company opposed them The way they appeased corporate was to share their ideas. The 282 type diesel came from Gas truck engines but was used in comstruction first. The famed 361 was a construction engine first and it seems the 400 series was. Also just read an article Perkins and Navistar introduced their joint engine in 1990 that was the pln 466 new gen engine. So definitely ihc was messing with new designs before the end of tractor production.

Here are pics getting back to original. All out of red tractor book. Notice 1/4 scale 70 series. This cab was in the planning then. Wouldn’t be a stretch of the imagination if the magnum with case decals on the fender would have been made up of parts of the test units. 

AB04C232-7206-4619-B701-0D296388E9DE.jpeg

D207D529-5EF4-4A74-B600-51E58E1E2D3C.jpeg

8C5A22DD-7CA4-4D75-B693-EC3A3256FD3F.jpeg

68DD11C5-5BC5-4471-AF22-3478F507020F.jpeg

FA18C201-540C-4EEF-9F4F-0D0728034ED4.jpeg

3F44C91E-763A-4A8C-BB20-0EB1ADC88C23.jpeg

3A116B3F-53B5-4DB8-8A0B-4D907A79FC1C.jpeg

7E490E4B-1C02-48BB-91C4-EEE1A2A17B05.jpeg

• Like 4

Damn I love prototype stuff! Also, Jerry, is that the Hyper engine that Wiltse and Thurow ran in the Relentless Ford a few years ago? I always liked watching it run!

17 minutes ago, Injpumped said:

Damn I love prototype stuff! Also, Jerry, is that the Hyper engine that Wiltse and Thurow ran in the Relentless Ford a few years ago? I always liked watching it run!

Yes that’s one of two he had for them.

If you google the article with Jerry Lagod it states he was plucked out of the engineers because of hot rod interests. He said ih told him to make the newer 400 series pull like the 407. He said they had to to dyno tests at night because ih wAs in trouble for emissions. He said 500 hp with ambac and not much trick parts. Way more with better parts. You can bet the 88s and even the never tractors were tested with good running engines.

On 3/31/2020 at 11:02 AM, 5088 said:

Pretty sure I've read elsewhere that the next series of tractors were FAF.

George Bowman and industrial designer for IH starting in 1959 showed his plans in an interview for the new series/generation of tractors and the various designs of the FAF badge to go on the new tractors. Very interesting stuff of what IH had in the works at the bitter end. Most of the designs he showed in the interview were from September 1984 IIRC

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 12:50 PM, Reichow7120 said:

That's a poor way to have a proving ground for engines. Run a money loosing division to work the bugs out of their engines. There had to be a better way than that to test them.

Construction equipment is about the fastest way to log tough hours.

5 minutes ago, ST-470 said:

Construction equipment is about the fastest way to log tough hours.

Fair but dumping money into a money losing division for years. Money that could have paid down debt, gone into truck, farm equipment or engine development by itself might have gone farther. IH the former is dead because of a series of bad financial decisions over the years.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 7:30 PM, Big Bud guy said:

The 503/403 were popular here too and to me anyway were as good as any other combine during the 60s.  Them and their predecessors were based off of the JD 55.  Before I get flamed for that, there is fact to back that up.  And really it seems that it is only the 815/915 that tarnished IH's combine rep.  The 715/615 were really nothing more then restyled 403/303 with a few small updates.  

When IH came out with the 815/915 Hi pro's, it sealed their fate at number 3 or 4, until the axial flows came out. Then to make matters worse they had the v8 gasser fire makers in those pos.

10 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Fair but dumping money into a money losing division for years. Money that could have paid down debt, gone into truck, farm equipment or engine development by itself might have gone farther. IH the former is dead because of a series of bad financial decisions over the years.

The point is Melrose Park was the engine plant. They just happened to make some construction equipment there too.

8 hours ago, jass1660 said:

We should be glad they decided to keep the red paint. 

3041E15C-E326-4E53-AD13-5EFE41A42E4F.jpeg

It's surprising how a color can make something look good to rather ugly....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 12:00 PM, Reichow7120 said:

Did Solar turbine make them money?

Yes, Solar was a very profitable business, especially the last 10 years before it was sold to Cat.  

Other than some of the dozers, was any of the construction equipment worth a d*mn?  Only was ever around the backhoes and I don't rate them much higher than junk, were the scrapers and wheel loaders any good?  Skidsteers looked like clubs.....skidders?

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 12:48 PM, dale560 said:

Without construction division the 282, 361 and the 400 series wouldn’t have been as good as they were. The construction guys had a lot of design input here you go

B9EF53A8-45C2-4D1D-A132-2A39987966F0.jpeg

Melrose Park was also making the very successful 817 since 1959 too. The 429 was good too just very low production. The 466 took it's place.

7 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Other than some of the dozers, was any of the construction equipment worth a d*mn?  Only was ever around the backhoes and I don't rate them much higher than junk, were the scrapers and wheel loaders any good?  Skidsteers looked like clubs.....skidders?

Most dozers, Payloaders & Payhaulers good, the rest not so much:(

DK about skidders....

As far as comparing the Case 504 to the CDC/Magnum engines, I guess I would say they are sisters.....from 2 completely different sets of parents. About the only thing that's common is that they are both 6-cylinder inline diesel engines...with 504 cubic inches of displacement(technically, the 8.3L engine was 504.5 cubic inches, but Case called them 505s to differentiate them from the old Case engines). The 8.3L had a one-piece cylinder head, and mid-stop sleeves. Also the 8.3L block was never strong enough to be used as a frame member like the 504 Case. 

FWIW, when Cummins and Case came together for the formation of CDC, Cummins had every intention of producing the new engines as V-8 engines....Case said absolutely not. Cummins wanted V configurations as they were looking at the medium truck market as their biggest potential customer.

As far as Case was concerned, they were done with the 504 anyway. Their next model of tractor was supposed to be the 96 series that used an 8.3L in front of the old Case powershift. I'm guessing that idea went out the window as soon as these IH powershift transmissions hit Racine.