5488 powershift prototype

kruegerdiesel

3 minutes ago, dale560 said:

That isn’t where they went broke. It was millions spent on foolishness from 1950 on. The axial flow combine was expensive but was what ihc needed their harves equipment was tanking before that

Exactly.  Their combine market share was in the dumps before the AFs.  I’m not trying to bash you or anyone on here but this is the only place we’re I’ve seen the 15 series actually get a little love only because it’s a red site.  Other places and in real world talking with die hard red guys around here their reputation was mediocre at best.  

3 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

They should have never gotten into refrigerators, freezers and such and they should have never been in Construction equipment. Someone should have put a bullet in that division's head long before it was sold off.

Did Solar turbine make them money?

I agree on the freezers and such.  The construction could have succeeded if they had taken the same approach JD and Case did and not take on Cat directly.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

They should have never gotten into refrigerators, freezers and such and they should have never been in Construction equipment. Someone should have put a bullet in that division's head long before it was sold off.

Did Solar turbine make them money?

Without construction division the 282, 361 and the 400 series wouldn’t have been as good as they were. The construction guys had a lot of design input here you go

B9EF53A8-45C2-4D1D-A132-2A39987966F0.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, dale560 said:

Without construction division the 282, 361 and the 400 series wouldn’t have been as good as they were. The construction guys had a lot of design input

That's a poor way to have a proving ground for engines. Run a money loosing division to work the bugs out of their engines. There had to be a better way than that to test them.

15 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

That's a poor way to have a proving ground for engines. Run a money loosing division to work the bugs out of their engines. There had to be a better way than that to test them.

Read the article I just added to my post also a interview with the man himself. Lagod was on the design team 466 was intended for construction

7310A9AE-DC64-4965-BC0A-9045A3C16B01.jpeg

20 hours ago, ACFarmer said:

A 40 series Detroit is not just a rebranded dt. There are quite a few differences.

look up engine parts on AGCO parts books, and they even use the IH part numbers. The Detroit 40 series, Perkins 1300 series, and New Generation DT408/466/530/570 are essentially the same engines. Started out as P pump/line/nozzle engines, then evolved(maybe backwards lol!) to utilize HEUI injection. I get so sick of people confusing the International Harvester DT414/436/466 engines with the Navistar new generation engines. While they have some similarities, they are totally different engines. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Injpumped said:

look up engine parts on AGCO parts books, and they even use the IH part numbers. The Detroit 40 series, Perkins 1300 series, and New Generation DT408/466/530/570 are essentially the same engines. Started out as P pump/line/nozzle engines, then evolved(maybe backwards lol!) to utilize HEUI injection. I get so sick of people confusing the International Harvester DT414/436/466 engines with the Navistar new generation engines. While they have some similarities, they are totally different engines. 

Just looked them up they used a truck type bell housing so a custom adapter to stick one in a magnum or early tractor.

I agree those engines would have been great for the IH "Magnum". I've always felt the AGCO 9675/9695 series of tractors are excellent tractors, the IH/D40 engine, 18 speed Funk powershift, White drivetrain. Makes for a very durable tractor. Now, I understand JD has had Funk discontinue some parts. Sad, we can repair our 60-70's tractors, but not the 90's-2000's!

14 minutes ago, Injpumped said:

I agree those engines would have been great for the IH "Magnum". I've always felt the AGCO 9675/9695 series of tractors are excellent tractors, the IH/D40 engine, 18 speed Funk powershift, White drivetrain. Makes for a very durable tractor. Now, I understand JD has had Funk discontinue some parts. Sad, we can repair our 60-70's tractors, but not the 90's-2000's!

You ever run one? I never have the only agco I have been around was a green duetz built. They had a used 55 model about 20 years ago at agco dealer I stopped and looked at it and thought that sure looks like a ihc motor.

6 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Exactly.  Their combine market share was in the dumps before the AFs.  I’m not trying to bash you or anyone on here but this is the only place we’re I’ve seen the 15 series actually get a little love only because it’s a red site.  Other places and in real world talking with die hard red guys around here their reputation was mediocre at best.  

Ran a 915 a lot but a 7700 diesel was a equal. A 7720 would walk away. Funny thing is ihc sold a lot of 503 /403 here but gave the market away with the high profile 15 series

5 hours ago, dale560 said:

Read the article I just added to my post also a interview with the man himself. Lagod was on the design team 466 was intended for construction

7310A9AE-DC64-4965-BC0A-9045A3C16B01.jpeg

He was a young man then although he still goes to work everyday.

10 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Farther on the article he says they had the 466 to 500 hp easily with a 100 pump. Can you imagine the power they ran test tractors at to see if they break?

I’ve seen all his diesel pickups and how he drives them, he pushes everything to the limit!

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

You ever run one? I never have the only agco I have been around was a green duetz built. They had a used 55 model about 20 years ago at agco dealer I stopped and looked at it and thought that sure looks like a ihc motor.

Only ran a little around the barnyard. I was however working in a White dealer when the funk powershifts first came out in the Whites. I took several different customers for rides in them to demonstrate the smoothness of that trans. The Whits had the 5.9 or 8.3L Cummins engines, so of course those are tough as nails too. Got a buddy that has an AA 9675 2wd. Early model with the P pump 530. 

48 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Ran a 915 a lot but a 7700 diesel was a equal. A 7720 would walk away. Funny thing is ihc sold a lot of 503 /403 here but gave the market away with the high profile 15 series

The 503/403 were popular here too and to me anyway were as good as any other combine during the 60s.  Them and their predecessors were based off of the JD 55.  Before I get flamed for that, there is fact to back that up.  And really it seems that it is only the 815/915 that tarnished IH's combine rep.  The 715/615 were really nothing more then restyled 403/303 with a few small updates.  

My neighbor's father who is the subject of my old auction flyer thread started a custom cutting ring around here back in the 60s and at one time ran five 503s all without cabs.  After he quit custom cutting and went back one combine he got rid of them all and bought a new 1974 6600 gasser.  Thing is he didn't get to use it until 1975 because it was so dry he didn't bother using it.  Used it up till 1990.  They still have that combine too.  

9 minutes ago, Injpumped said:

Only ran a little around the barnyard. I was however working in a White dealer when the funk powershifts first came out in the Whites. I took several different customers for rides in them to demonstrate the smoothness of that trans. The Whits had the 5.9 or 8.3L Cummins engines, so of course those are tough as nails too. Got a buddy that has an AA 9675 2wd. Early model with the P pump 530. 

It is my goal before I die to have a agco 55 a white 185 with a cummins and even wouldn’t mind a nice 8070 for the mix. And of course I want a 2 - 85 white 

43 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

I’ve seen all his diesel pickups and how he drives them, he pushes everything to the limit!

The p pump 7.3 power stroke is in this article farther down. He credits ihc in the article borrowing him the original setup Bosch he designed at the company to help his business get started.

On 3/30/2020 at 4:30 AM, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Well that cummins and case hood were the works of the Case guys steeling our tractor. It was all IH before they messed with it. The Case guys just couldn't stand to not have their part. Not that I am anti Case, just that IH had that sucker done, just as Danny says.

In the end they bought it ,they owned it, so they could do whatever they wanted to. A bit like Julius Caesar I seen, I saw , I conquered. At Carthage stole their architecture and razed it to the ground so Carthage would not get credit, any similarities.

The dealership I worked at sold a lot of tractors with the Funk transmission. Ford 30 series. New Holland Genesis 70 series and White 6175/6195.  Excellent transmission. Up until I quit 12 years ago, we had only two apart for a rebuild. One was an 8970 with 12,000 hours. Pulled a sheepfoot most its life. And a 6195 that the guy changed the hyd filter and the old filter seal stayed and he screwed the new filter on top of it and it dumped all the oil out. There was a series of solenoids on the valve body and they would go bad once in awhile. It was funny. Some of the parts would come in John Deere boxes from AGCO with an AGCO part number sticker on it. We lost the AGCO tractor contract after the 6175/6195 series.

2 hours ago, Injpumped said: