5488 powershift prototype

kruegerdiesel

Absolutley awesome!

31 minutes ago, quagmier said:

I saved these picts from a previous posting

5488 powershift console one door 1.jpg

5488 powershift console one door 2.jpg

5488 powershift console one door 3.jpg

That’s the cab that needs to be made out of a 88 series and mounted on this one. Someone on here was cutting the front off a 86 cab and mating it to a magnum cab to make the right looking one.  There is a pic of the console in red tractor book that was a artist drawing to model levers off of.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Yep, but there are those who still think the Magnum didn't come from International Harvester. Well we all know who is full of sh......., well you know. IH always had the best.

There would be no argument at all if they would have used have the IH engines.

So it looks like on this tractor under the cab controls it’s still the same STS transmission.? 

I love the pics and the controls....but how do you know if the frame you have is special if under the cab it’s all the same? 

9 minutes ago, 401 N Michigan said:

So it looks like on this tractor under the cab controls it’s still the same STS transmission.? 

I love the pics and the controls....but how do you know if the frame you have is special if under the cab it’s all the same? 

I would guess the ihc axles are a giveaway and the input shaft as noted. 

That rear half is the one that lived at NICC in Calmar IA I believe.  If I saw it in person I could tell you for sure.  The long lever on the shift valve was an easy way to shift it and show what gear it was in for the whole class at once.  We would run it with the test gauges on it in transmission class.  It was powered by and 8.3 at the time.  The engine adapted was "fab shop" built not like a production tractor.  The whole thing came in a box in pieces and was put back together by Instructor Dave Amdahl.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Dannys 5388 is only a replica. He took a 5288 2wd front half and rolled it to a 1987 7130 rear half. 

This is the real deal. Lived in NE Iowaat a tech college for many years. Quite a few thing different on this compared to a production magnum.

Yes Danny’s is a replica but supposed to be  replica of a 2 wd tractor.  Did anyone notice was this one a awd ,fwd unit? If so they had a couple powershift tractors built.

I got the call two weeks ago on this deal from a friend of mine that lives near Franzen Family Tractor Salvage /north west of the quad cities . As most of you know , Danny has to many projects to take on another one . I called Luke who is a friend of mine , he lives just west of me and has the IH passion and wants to build the big brother and little brother  to the 5388  ?? So a couple phone calls later this thing was on the truck he had coming by and it is saved and in good hands .You guys are correct on these being at the vo tech collages , this one was at Peosta Ia . I have a friend that was at Calmer when they got there’s and it had the IH466 on it and later and I will have to check with him what year some guys from Case IH pulled in and change out the motor and put the 8.3 Cummins . 

Just so everyone is clear these tractors were completely done at the time of the merger and were going to be released in the fall of 1985 at the Farm Progress Show. When I delivered the 7140 articulated back to Hinsdale I got to meet the head engineer that was in charge of the 7140 and while we were standing out in the lot I ask him about the 50 series power shift and if it was done at the time of the merger . I pulled out my trusty I Pad and had the pictures of the 5388 and showed him what I had , where did you get that ? I put this together . He said , well just so you know that was the last tractor my team and I built for IH , they were done and there was a entire line of them sitting right there,  he pointed ?? He also told me what I already knew , I don’t care what anyone writes in books there selling and the people they interviewed from Case and there version of the story that IH was broke and couldn’t finish this tractor is not the truth ? Just after the first of the year 1985 some these tractors were hauled up to Buzardville to start the transformation into the Magnum . My old bass was at Hinsdale when the Tenneco semi pulled in with a van trailer to haul a tractor up to Racine , well as most of you know it won’t fit in a van trailer so out come the gas ax !! so it would fit in there trailer so they could get it up to Racine with no one knowing what Tenneco had just bought . If you look at this one that Luke just got is one that the axels were cut off , maybe it’s the one ? 

So from Jan 2 1985 to the fall of 1987 the newly formed company did the conversion of our IH 50 series into the what we know today as one of the best tractors ever built , the Magnum . The only reason I am telling everyone this story is so you all know the real story and not the version that is made up by the management at the time from the Case Corp side wanted everyone to believe that IH was broke and this was only in the design and had no money to finish , after  the merger they saved the day , put the money at it and finished it . Truth told , it was converted into the Magnum , this was the money that was put at this tractor . 

All I want is give credit where credit is do,  We have just saved another piece of history ???

Danny 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

I got the call two weeks ago on this deal from a friend of mine that lives near Franzen Family Tractor Salvage /north west of the quad cities . As most of you know , Danny has to many projects to take on another one . I called Luke who is a friend of mine , he lives just west of me and has the IH passion and wants to build the big brother and little brother  to the 5388  ?? So a couple phone calls later this thing was on the truck he had coming by and it is saved and in good hands .You guys are correct on these being at the vo tech collages , this one was at Peosta Ia . I have a friend that was at Calmer when they got there’s and it had the IH466 on it and later and I will have to check with him what year some guys from Case IH pulled in and change out the motor and put the 8.3 Cummins . 

Just so everyone is clear these tractors were completely done at the time of the merger and were going to be released in the fall of 1985 at the Farm Progress Show. When I delivered the 7140 articulated back to Hinsdale I got to meet the head engineer that was in charge of the 7140 and while we were standing out in the lot I ask him about the 50 series power shift and if it was done at the time of the merger . I pulled out my trusty I Pad and had the pictures of the 5388 and showed him what I had , where did you get that ? I put this together . He said , well just so you know that was the last tractor my team and I built for IH , they were done and there was a entire line of them sitting right there,  he pointed ?? He also told me what I already knew , I don’t care what anyone writes in books there selling and the people they interviewed from Case and there version of the story that IH was broke and couldn’t finish this tractor is not the truth ? Just after the first of the year 1985 some these tractors were hauled up to Buzardville to start the transformation into the Magnum . My old bass was at Hinsdale when the Tenneco semi pulled in with a van trailer to haul a tractor up to Racine , well as most of you know it won’t fit in a van trailer so out come the gas ax !! so it would fit in there trailer so they could get it up to Racine with no one knowing what Tenneco had just bought . If you look at this one that Luke just got is one that the axels were cut off , maybe it’s the one ? 

So from Jan 2 1985 to the fall of 1987 the newly formed company did the conversion of our IH 50 series into the what we know today as one of the best tractors ever built , the Magnum . The only reason I am telling everyone this story is so you all know the real story and not the version that is made up by the management at the time from the Case Corp side wanted everyone to believe that IH was broke and this was only in the design and had no money to finish , after  the merger they saved the day , put the money at it and finished it . Truth told , it was converted into the Magnum , this was the money that was put at this tractor . 

All I want is give credit where credit is do,  We have just saved another piece of history ???

Danny 

How many tractors did they have done? Obviously this one and one like yours plus the little ones you are working on now. So they had a few more? Plus the complete sts trans tractor in Kansas 

19 hours ago, quagmier said:

I saved these picts from a previous posting

5488 powershift console one door 1.jpg

5488 powershift console one door 2.jpg

5488 powershift console one door 3.jpg

Does anybody know the story behind this tractor? I remember seeing it on here before.

15 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

There would be no argument at all if they would have used have the IH engines.

Well that cummins and case hood were the works of the Case guys steeling our tractor. It was all IH before they messed with it. The Case guys just couldn't stand to not have their part. Not that I am anti Case, just that IH had that sucker done, just as Danny says.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Well that cummins and case hood were the works of the Case guys steeling our tractor. It was all IH before they messed with it. The Case guys just couldn't stand to not have their part. Not that I am anti Case, just that IH had that sucker done, just as Danny says.

Just be glad they didn't stick a 504 in there.

• Like 1

When I toured the Racine plant during red power in union grove the tour guide said here’s your transmission that IH developed !!!!

• Like 1

Just to repeat what Danny said...IH DID HAVE live, running, field tested,  FULL POWERSHIFT transmission tractors well BEFORE any merger was announced.  I have the paperwork from IH to prove it.  It will be interesting to see what kind of hydraulic filters are on this unit.  My guess is a PALL brand, as IH was going to them for future products.  The PALL and Fleetguard filters are NOT interchangeable.  Its sad that it took now 35 years for this to happen,  most everyone knew it was an IH design in 1987 when it came out.  The castings told you so.  Some people were desperate to bury the truth.... 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

It wouldn't have made since for Case IH to use the DT-466 when they were sold off with Navistar and Case already had the joint venture with Cummins so the 8.3 was in house.  

True they had the Cummins engine joint venture already, but Navistar would have made the engine for them, it would have been a great compliment to IH. Navistar made the 466 for the combines for a couple years, until maybe 1987-89....Navistar had the history from IH of reliable Diesel engines.....they were already selling them to ford.....that would have been amazing.....that should have been in the negotiations when the sale went through.....?

1 hour ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

It wouldn't have made since for Case IH to use the DT-466 when they were sold off with Navistar and Case already had the joint venture with Cummins so the 8.3 was in house.  

The new generation 466 was in the works and made it to production in 92 I think. So if ihc kept going this was the engine that was going to power the newer tractors. I also always wonder if a non compete clause was in the sale to tenneco. As any Navistar engine in other tractors is always a rebranded like Detroit 40 series Perkins had them to. In 85 these tractors would have had a regular 466 c model but you can bet they were working on getting more cubic inches out of that design already then.