5488 powershift prototype

I took the time to mount a frond end on to the ol girl to make it so I could move it.  Just excited to mate up some things that belong on the front of it!!  Found a part number on the front cover of the trans that provides some proof on this thing! also it has a longer input than the magnums like the 50 series so no stub shaft is needed. Progress will be slow with planting around the corner,but thought id post these.  this summer I have a rough 5488 with a late 466 and inline pump with water in the oil to overhaul for a doner to this special unit.

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

• Like 11
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got the call two weeks ago on this deal from a friend of mine that lives near Franzen Family Tractor Salvage /north west of the quad cities . As most of you know , Danny has to many projects to take

I took the time to mount a frond end on to the ol girl to make it so I could move it.  Just excited to mate up some things that belong on the front of it!!  Found a part number on the front cover of t

Here are pics getting back to original. All out of red tractor book. Notice 1/4 scale 70 series. This cab was in the planning then. Wouldn’t be a stretch of the imagination if the magnum with case dec

Posted Images

Keep posting pictures. What are you going to use for a cab? It would be great if you used a 88 series and made the right hand side like the  other 5488 that had the synchro trans. Than of course you will have to reverse doors.

2 minutes ago, 401 N Michigan said:

Please explain more....what is going on here....

There was a prototype 5488 powershift I think 3 of em that never became full tractors and was put aside because of the ih case buyout , so finish didnt get bought out this was going to he the next tractor made but they never got that far

From the bell housing back is, or was an actual 1986 model 5488 full power shift, that saw the light of day, but got the axe with the merger.  It was on the projects page here on the forum the other day as well!! 

It has been on Facebook recently also. Awesome history . This is what Danny was recreating with his 5388 . There was a picture of one that made it to a farmer that purchased it. The picture I screenshot from this site had a blue grain cart behind it

4 minutes ago, bitty said:

It has been on Facebook recently also. Awesome history . This is what Danny was recreating with his 5388 . There was a picture of one that made it to a farmer that purchased it. The picture I screenshot from this site had a blue grain cart behind it

That wasn't a powershift, just the redesigned cab.

• Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, 401 N Michigan said:

So is this an original that was found....or is he making one

This is an original prototype that made it off the assembly line.  Merger came, and it was parted out, I believe the engine transmission and rear ended went to a tech school.  The original post is on the projects forum.  This is a first 18 speed full power shift 5488 that was alive, then parted.

They must have had 2 powershift prototypes built? Danny’s is supposed to be true to form how one was built  2wd. This must be what’s left of the other one. Danny had the early constant speed transmission they were working on to. There is a sketch but from reading in the book red tractors they actually took one of the original Ihc  units put the case hood on with the early ih cab.

11 hours ago, Cool1566 said:

I can’t wait to see this project develope!

Agreed!! 

I had saw it on agtalk and thought it was odd I hadn't heard about it on here till I saw it in the projects section a few days ago. I like the project section but miss the discussion that might follow in the general or coffee shop sections.

I'm very interested in how this project is put together.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, superih said:

That wasn't a powershift, just the redesigned cab.

+1, was an STS................I would love to drive it, if that shifted as easy as the normal 5*88's with that console, that would have been a sweet setup as the shift throws were alot shorter.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to look at the plumbing on the RH side up close. As near as I can tell from the pictures...

•  Looks like the regulated circuit oil(transmission clutches, brakes, PTO, diff lock., MFD) came from the front gear pump. This would make sense as the 50 series regulated circuit oil came from that pump. I always assumed the decision on the first 7100 Magnums to source regulated circuit oil from the piston/PFC pump was a Case decision....they did that on the 90/94 series Case tractors. This caused a lot of disappointment in early Magnum customers, especially those that had owned an IH 50 series previously. The early 7100s didn't have a lot of hydraulic capacity at the remotes because of this. Interestingly, CaseIH went back to the 50 series setup on the later 7100 series at serial #JJA0027701 when the second hydraulic filter was introduced.
  • I'm wondering where oil for the steering circuit came from? Gear pump like a 50 series IH or piston pump like a Magnum? Looks like there is a priority valve behind the remote valve stack like a Magnum, so I'm guessing it came off the piston pump?
  • Looks like the front hydraulic filter housing is the same as a 50 series, so I assume it to use the 528493Rxx hydraulic filter that IH used since the 806. I assume the rear filter housing(behind the large spin-on hydraulic filter) used a screen similar to original 7100 series Magnums instead of the common IH hydraulic filter? I assume the small spin-on filter is for the regulated circuit like the later 7100 series Magnums.

The second pic has me wondering.  What is the long lever that comes off the shifting valve?  It looks like it has different holding spots like it's a shifting linkage, any thoughts from anyone else?