1486 axle housing

1989 plowboy

A 1486 is for sale locally with a busted driver side rear axle we’re a truck driver clipped a guide wire hauling it with duals on and it’s priced cheap enough will a 1086 trumpet housing and axle work I happen to know we’re a parts one of them is or is there a underlying problem that could cause this 

06D2BA15-9EFD-4204-931D-322C465E2327.jpeg

6F5F638C-0F15-4A82-B96D-EAED7E4B8A47.jpeg

12 minutes ago, 1989 plowboy said:

How cheap is cheap to everyone here ?

Show us the rest of the rig. What's the tires look like. Engine and ta good? His the cab look. Interior good? Ac work? If yes to all that I'll say 8k. Judging by the faded paint in the photo depending on rubber could be 4k-10k. Nice 14's bring 20k if they are all there and sweet. Average is probably 12k *in my area* 

• Like 1

Back to the original question:

CIH Parts lists the 1086 and 1486 using the exact same rear axle, bull gear, & housing.  AS stated, there are two axle lengths as options.

The axle shaft might even be fine.  Only way to tell would be to take it out and see if its bent.    I doubt if the bull gear is damaged at all,  & main rear end case is likely fine.

No underlying problem, just broke the case when it got hit hard.

This should be a really easy and fairly cheap fix.  Pull the entire axle assembly and replace it with one off the 1086

1 hour ago, ksfarmdude said:

She looks rough maybe a 5k tractor

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

X2

45 minutes ago, B.B. said:

I had said 5k tops 

But apparently it didn't post first time 

All you guys are waaaaayyyyyy too generous!!! 

What’s the price of scrap these days? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

All you guys are waaaaayyyyyy too generous!!! 

What’s the price of scrap these days? 

its worth more than scrap I live 6 miles from Abilene machine salvage but I couldn't tell you what those tractors are worth as parts machines from what i see when i drive thru their row upon rows of salvage tractors they have enough of IH to last for decades

• Like 1