Original Stock Companies

401 N Michigan

Sunoco was bought out....here is a copy from Sunoco webpage.

Sunoco began the transformation of its business to focus on logistics and transportation fuels in 2012, when it was acquired by Texas-based Energy Transfer Partners, one of the largest natural gas and natural gas distribution companies in the US.

On 3/25/2020 at 2:08 AM, mike newman said:

since Caterpillar  is no longer American owned, the name has been changed..down here, anyway..."Caterpillar  " no longer features in the ''new name ''

..may not be relevant to your question.....but to me , it is a very sad day to think that time honoured, American   name in earth moving /agriculture equipment  , now belongs to China

,,an absolute travesty...…..people  who sit on the floor and eat their tucker with bits of wood...

Mike

Mike:   I was puzzled by your comment that Cat had new ownership as there was nothing in the news here about it.  It looks like your local dealership has changed ownership.
This is from the website of Terra Cat, the new owners of the dealership in New Zealand.

https://terracat.co.nz/about-us

“About Us

Terra Cat is the new name of New Zealand’s Caterpillar dealer. Our new name was launched in December 2019, and signals the start of a new era. New owners Sime Darby Berhad agreed to rebrand over time and replace the Gough Cat name when they bought the business in October 2019.

Terra Cat is a business built on solid ground, with 90 years of experience as Gough Group, we will continue to create strong relationships and close links to the people we work with.

The name Terra Cat comes from the Latin words terra firma - meaning ‘firm earth or solid ground’ - and captures how we deliver power on the ground in people, place, product and services. Cat brings the power of unparalleled world class products and systems you know and rely on. The new name also reflects Terra Cat’s connection to the land and to the grounded nature of our people and our relationships.

Our logo combines our grounded approach with the fern device, representing new hope and new beginnings. It shows our pride in being 90 years strong in Aotearoa, and is locked up to the Cat logo - our uniquely powerful product and brand.

We offer the entire Caterpillar product range of machines and engines, all of which are designed, engineered and built to be the toughest and most reliable in the world. We provide a wide range of services associated with the importation, marketing and ongoing support of every Caterpillar product we sell, both new and used.

Terra Cat has a national network of 17 branches from Whangarei to Invercargill.

About Sime Darby

Sime Darby Berhad is partner to some of the world’s best brands in the Industrial and Motors sectors and is one of the largest Caterpillar dealers globally. Headquartered in Malaysia and listed on the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange, it has a workforce of more than 20,000 employees and operations in 18 countries and territories across the Asia Pacific region.

The company entered the New Zealand market in 1999 through its acquisition of Continental Car Services Ltd and today has a large range of commercial interests in New Zealand within the transport sector. The Gough Group purchase gave Sime Darby the rare opportunity to expand in the Asia Pacific region and gain exposure to New Zealand’s construction and forestry sectors.”

All is well with Caterpillar, no sellout there.

Brian

2 hours ago, E160BHM said:

Mike:   I was puzzled by your comment that Cat had new ownership as there was nothing in the news here about it.  It looks like your local dealership has changed ownership.
This is from the website of Terra Cat, the new owners of the dealership in New Zealand.

https://terracat.co.nz/about-us

“About Us

Terra Cat is the new name of New Zealand’s Caterpillar dealer. Our new name was launched in December 2019, and signals the start of a new era. New owners Sime Darby Berhad agreed to rebrand over time and replace the Gough Cat name when they bought the business in October 2019.

Terra Cat is a business built on solid ground, with 90 years of experience as Gough Group, we will continue to create strong relationships and close links to the people we work with.

The name Terra Cat comes from the Latin words terra firma - meaning ‘firm earth or solid ground’ - and captures how we deliver power on the ground in people, place, product and services. Cat brings the power of unparalleled world class products and systems you know and rely on. The new name also reflects Terra Cat’s connection to the land and to the grounded nature of our people and our relationships.

Our logo combines our grounded approach with the fern device, representing new hope and new beginnings. It shows our pride in being 90 years strong in Aotearoa, and is locked up to the Cat logo - our uniquely powerful product and brand.

We offer the entire Caterpillar product range of machines and engines, all of which are designed, engineered and built to be the toughest and most reliable in the world. We provide a wide range of services associated with the importation, marketing and ongoing support of every Caterpillar product we sell, both new and used.

Terra Cat has a national network of 17 branches from Whangarei to Invercargill.

About Sime Darby

Sime Darby Berhad is partner to some of the world’s best brands in the Industrial and Motors sectors and is one of the largest Caterpillar dealers globally. Headquartered in Malaysia and listed on the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange, it has a workforce of more than 20,000 employees and operations in 18 countries and territories across the Asia Pacific region.

The company entered the New Zealand market in 1999 through its acquisition of Continental Car Services Ltd and today has a large range of commercial interests in New Zealand within the transport sector. The Gough Group purchase gave Sime Darby the rare opportunity to expand in the Asia Pacific region and gain exposure to New Zealand’s construction and forestry sectors.”

All is well with Caterpillar, no sellout there.

Brian

Yes....I had heard  that  Cat was "sold out "   to Chinese Co....quite recently, from an old Cat   mechanic....Obviously that was not correct...and of course I was  very pissed off …..but after the bloke who started this topic, corrected me...sigh...I dug deeper  and found in fact that the NZ   Caterpillar  dealership had sold out to "Asian  " interests......The Cat  dealership had been going here since the 1930's   I believe...in fact I started my working life  at a Caterpillar branch ...as a welder.... ….and further useless information..I still have the venerable D6B  Cat....pictured recently in the "hay raking thread"  (:))..

I have this  inherent prejudice  against  "goods " manufactured in China...this came ab out  from my three years in the West Indies...working on a huge tourist resort..or the start   thereof.... where   vast amounts of machinery , small  and  large came in , in big containers , with classic  American   name brands on..only to find it was Chinese made.....and some of it was so badly made, it would make a grown man cry......then we had to endeavour to repair  this garbage...as the ''local '' boys...all 400  of them …...were not exactly conversant with anything with an engine.....I could go on

Yeah...my mistake....

Mike

……..this may make someone smile......one of the concrete mixer line that the outfit imported from China had a Chinese diesel engine...like maybe 8./.10   horse power  range......portable mixer.....the electric   starter   motors quit  within hours of use...and   thus there was a 'crank handle ' for this contingency.....The company brought three only in    (thankfully )...and by the time my incident occurred , there was  but one survivor.....We had proper   American ' Skytracks '   telehandlers...good machines ...but no 'proper'  operators..(only about four white men , on the ninety acre  work site...400"locals "....)...so two of the Chinese concrete mixers had died , twisted beyond  repair at the hands of the Skytrack   ''operators "

The remaining one   offered a real challenge to start the freakin'  thing...the "concrete crew " came to me for help......they were all strong young men.....I was a mere 61 years old at the time.....but had grown up cranking old  Chevrolet /Rugby / Buick  etc trucks   ...and Farmall A   and Allis B tractors  as a young man....  I was so bloody angry at these guys , that I showed them how ...in their   eyes...an old man could   do this ...it was an absolute SOB   to start .(.I had tried previously.)..but hooked into it....got one of them to drop the compression lever when I was swinging well......there was a helluva 'bang " ...and that thing sort of kicked back....crank handle caught me under the chin.....the scar is still visible....and of course I was down for the count.....finally came to...to look up at a ring of white teeth as the local boys all crowded around me....and the engine on the mixer was going !!   Chin was bleeding profusely   and bloody hurting...….Yeah  Fxxxxxg    Chinese crap

Mike

…….OK this wasn't  a Chinese   truck....but illustrates the gulf between   a "truck driver ' …...and a bloke to whom the controls of one of " Florida  Rock and Quarry "  old Macks ...was given ...with sweet F all tuition....After this debacle  it became my job   to "teach '  these blokes to drive a truck.....Thank fully    , Mack had a triple counter shaft box,,,if anybody doubts the quality of these trucks, made in Allentown PA......I can tell you after my three years there ….the Macks were the only survivers..

This bloke asked me for a (hydralic  ) jack...….I rest my case 

Mike

post-157-1186910450  flat mack.jpg

On 3/28/2020 at 5:09 PM, 401 N Michigan said:

Sunoco was bought out....here is a copy from Sunoco webpage.

Sunoco began the transformation of its business to focus on logistics and transportation fuels in 2012, when it was acquired by Texas-based Energy Transfer Partners, one of the largest natural gas and natural gas distribution companies in the US.

Wrong spelling, Sonoco, 120 years old!

I used to work for Brown & Sharpe a machine tool and precision instrument maker when we sold to Hexagon AB in 2001 it was oldest continually listed stock on NYSE at the time.

Sad that US industrial assets like this were sold to foreigners.

At the time US companies were at a 15% tax disadvantage compared to corporate tax rates in foreign countries.

Foreign companies had 15% better margin from the get go making it dam near impossible for a company to be sold to a US buyer.  

Our politicians let this happen. 

Archived