I have been  working on my TD-14A. left steering clutch. I have IH service book. this project has fought me every step. Crawler runs and drives and I used it last fall but am tired of using right clutch only. I am down to last step but do not have compressor angle tool shown  illustration 532 on page 323. Does anyone have a close up picture of such tool. I worked on 9 series over 25 years ago and that was much easier. Also where can I get brake bands relined some where in Iowa.

As I understand you will have to make the tool or borrow it from someone who has made one.

Here is a picture of the measurements from another Red Power thread.

post-468-128166342821.jpg.266dd451909f1899efb3cd249f9b2e80.jpg

A lot of folks go through that General Gear out of Boise ID. But I believe FP Smith can reline them. Not sure about Iowa, I sent mine to Fort Wayne Clutch in Indiana for relining.

I wonder what I missed when I completely reworked both clutches & put in new/relined brakes on my -14A.  I had no such tool.

Vic

118.jpg

I made something like that when I did TD9 clutches, but that was over 40 years ago. They had a pattern or something in the service manual.

DWF

12 hours ago, WA-40 said:

Got steering clutch out today!!!!!  Did not need special tool. Clutch pack is  junk.

Maybe, sometimes it is better to tackle a job without reading every step of the instructions.  I didn't have the luxury of maintenance books when I was learning "do it yourself" stuff.

Thank you for the kind words on my pickup. It turned out very nice!

Post some pictures of your progress. I'll be tearing mine down at some point for a stuck steering clutch. Its always nice to see what you are up against before you start.

1 hour ago, WA-40 said:

New linings arrived this week. Does anyone know the number of steering release bearing? This project is getting old!

My parts manual says it's 53 233 DA.

Vic

On 3/23/2020 at 4:53 PM, Binderdan said:

As I understand you will have to make the tool or borrow it from someone who has made one.

Here is a picture of the measurements from another Red Power thread.

post-468-128166342821.jpg.266dd451909f1899efb3cd249f9b2e80.jpg

A lot of folks go through that General Gear out of Boise ID. But I believe FP Smith can reline them. Not sure about Iowa, I sent mine to Fort Wayne Clutch in Indiana for relining.

If I remember correctly the late MbCat posted that so his memory lives on 

• 2 weeks later...

still  working on TD-14A steering clutches. I have 1 together with all new disc.  I went to local post office  and got flat rate box and mailed brake shoes to man in Oregon on the 6th. Expected arrival was the 9th. The man called this week  and said package arrived but had been damaged and put in another box. He got 2 shoes and 4 were missing. I am from Iowa and package ended up in Memphis. I went to my local  post office and was told to go online. I  got online and had to register and come up with a pass word. I could identify the part to a human but the computer wanted a category to which there is  none close except antique, I should have said it is an antique,  The postal system lost my stuff and now it is my problem to find, I called a phone number but about same deal. had the standard $50 insurance but I suppose it is up to me to prove that value. the irony is I have a spare set for a 181 series crawler! I am in need of a pair of shoes for my 14A. Does anyone have a pair for sale?  My shoes would have been relined and returned to me by now. It is time to plant corn now so crawler will have to wait.

Those steering clutch parts are the same for 14 and 18 so I would think the drum OD would be similar maybe deeper

Will your spare 18 parts swap over? Maybe wider?

I can't see why a shop closer to you could reline them... I'm sure general gear in Idaho has used parts for you if needed

I  got my new steering parts  from Idaho, I didn't have much luck finding anyone in Iowa to reline my brakes.  My serial no. is TDF 35995. It makes  a difference on the style of brake too .  I will check tomorrow. Thank you.