6588 transmission issues

My 886 is down with shifter issues and leaking injection pump so I hooked the 6588 to the manure spreader. Coming back to the yard after the first load the steering locked when I tried to turn to the right. I could turn left just not right. I found that if I turned left then sharply back right it would go, then work fine for a bit. Did that two times during the first load. Transmission pressure light was not on. Second load, the steering issue happened again as I was heading back to the yard, only now the transmission pressure light had come on. Stopped by the shop, added 5 gal. Hyd. oil. Transmission pressure light stayed on. getting Kind of nervous, backed into cowyard and loaded another load. Pulling out I noticed the hydraulic seat wasn't working and no ta. Now I'm thinking I'd better park it. Driving across the yard, the seat started coming up, about another 50 yards in front of the machine shed the tractor just stopped. I shut it off and went to dinner. Figured I'd better check the hyd filter, put 5 gal drain pan under the cover, pulled cover off, oil was pretty dark and kind of cruddy looking, but it kept running. I ran and got another pail, first pan was running over. In all I'm sure nearly 10 gal of oil ran out, I caught about 7. It was running from the top of the housing. Expected the filter to be plugged with filings but I haven't seen any, just this black oily stuff. I plan to put filters in it tomorrow and see what happens although my expectations aren't high. Any ideas and thoughts are welcome, probably won't dig too deep until I get the 886 and a couple other projects done.

20200321_150034.thumb.jpg.595be7d85d0974d60f21a057228195a8.jpg20200321_150046.thumb.jpg.2416a458daf2605a573973f5944b8e76.jpg

On your steering issue, the alternating check valve may be sticky or sticking.  But, from the looks of the filters, you better change the oil.  Like, I would drain it before proceeding on anything.  

Does this tractor sit outside? 

When it wouldn't steer right, could you turn the steering wheel, or no? 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

On your steering issue, the alternating check valve may be sticky or sticking.  But, from the looks of the filters, you better change the oil.  Like, I would drain it before proceeding on anything.  

Does this tractor sit outside? 

When it wouldn't steer right, could you turn the steering wheel, or no? 

It's outside right now! Seriously though,  until about 2 years ago it was outside most of the time.

No, the steering wheel would not turn

2 hours ago, scraglycat said:

It's outside right now! Seriously though,  until about 2 years ago it was outside most of the time.

No, the steering wheel would not turn

Ok.  Yeah, change the oil in the rear and if it still won't steer check the shuttle valve. 

Thats some nasty looking gunk on things How long do you think its been since Hytran was changed? have you been using Hytran oil in your tractor? thats seem like alot of contamination 

On my 3788 the steering locked much like you describe. That ended up being the steering orbital motor. At one time many years ago there was a bulletin for adding an in-line filter on the hyd feed to the steering. With the amount of junk on your filters it is possible that some might have gotten past I suppose. Does look like an oil change is in order. Think if it were mine I would do filters first and try it. If it works great than dump the oil and maybe another set of filters. Not sure I would put new oil in until I was reasonably certain issue was not something that would require a split of the tractor or having oil drain for a repair. I just hate having to catch new oil with the possibility of getting something into it. Keep us posted as to what you find.

Got to thinking about the steering orbital motor. What cause it's failure was a spring in the alternating check valve broke and got into the spool. I ended up replacing the orbital, throwing away the check valve and rebuilding both steering cylinders as I felt there could have been part of the spring in one of them and there was. 

Went to my friendly Titan equipment store this morning and found the door locked. Sign on the window said, due to covid 19 blah blah blah blah, call with your order and we'll set it out for you in the drop box. Another guy got there the same time as me. He read the sign and said "I gotta show them on the screen what I need, they don't know $hit about Fords". He got back in his truck and left. So I sat in my truck and called in my order for hydraulic filters and a few other things. Parts man said we'll call when it's ready. 10 minutes later he calls me back and says they don't have my filters in stock, they should be here on Wednesday. So I  guess we wait.

12 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Ok.  Yeah, change the oil in the rear and if it still won't steer check the shuttle valve. 

Where is a shuttle valve on a 6588.  Steve

7 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

Thats some nasty looking gunk on things How long do you think its been since Hytran was changed? have you been using Hytran oil in your tractor? thats seem like alot of contamination 

Dont know when the last time the oil has been completely changed, I dont recall it looking that bad whenever I've changed filters.

I've been using the local farm fleet-tractor supply premium oil for years. Can't remember the name on the pail offhand.

My plan is to drain oil, replace filters, and fill with the same premium oil I've been using. If I need to drain the oil again I'll keep it as clean as I can and put it in a project 1066 that currently has yellow bucket 303 in it. Then I would likely refill with hytran when any issues have been resolved.

1 hour ago, 3588pfcred said:

Where is a shuttle valve on a 6588.  Steve

Between the steering cylinders.  

Screenshot_2020-03-23-16-04-30.thumb.png.c5a859aa42f90ef16765fb91bd8a8088.png

4 hours ago, scraglycat said:

Went to my friendly Titan equipment store this morning and found the door locked. Sign on the window said, due to covid 19 blah blah blah blah, call with your order and we'll set it out for you in the drop box. Another guy got there the same time as me. He read the sign and said "I gotta show them on the screen what I need, they don't know $hit about Fords". He got back in his truck and left. So I sat in my truck and called in my order for hydraulic filters and a few other things. Parts man said we'll call when it's ready. 10 minutes later he calls me back and says they don't have my filters in stock, they should be here on Wednesday. So I  guess we wait.

I think that's company policy for now, the one my son works at locked the front door Friday, the nearby JD dealer did the same thing. He said any tractor or combine they work on they have to wipe down all controls before and after .

40 minutes ago, 3588pfcred said:

That's called a double acting check valve

Technically the parts book calls it an "alternating check", which is the same as a shuttle valve.

• 2 months later...

Finally getting back to the 6588.

Did the lube, ta, dd pressure test.

20200613_202356.thumb.jpg.451f96737b1903d0bea6bf9d68260763.jpg

Got about 150 psi at relief valve port,        0 psi at lube sending unit port. Guage needle at relief valve port would flicker down when shifted from ta to dd, did not move when shifting from dd to ta.

Next did the relief valve differential pressure test20200611_192950.thumb.jpg.e0777c02781fa14471277333757fa853.jpg20200611_193715.thumb.jpg.2b74b69fd8347dadd96033cabaa75154.jpg

At 800 rpm the pressure went to 4200 psi which kinda scared me.

20200613_191045.thumb.jpg.b05246ddd2b9d1f3891a99d57e64d396.jpg

Replaced the relief valve with one out of a 1066, ran the test again and got readings closer to what I expected. 

2400 at the flowrater and about 280 at the supply hose. 20200613_185927.thumb.jpg.25c507182532f085a6e67f76cc52d28b.jpg20200613_185831.thumb.jpg.7bb62e6b0125560466d3e49af352173c.jpg

Next ran the steering supply flow test described in picture from last post. I couldn't get more than 500 psi regardless of how much I closed the load valve. Flow is from 10 to 12 gpm. With the load valve open, 500 psi. When I closed the load valve down psi stayed the same, flow dropped to 0 when it was completely closed, psi was still 500. 20200613_184248.thumb.jpg.33d1dcb6cc119bc247f236421075d162.jpg

While running this test with no pressure load on the system, the pressure at the relief valve port on the mcv was at 200 psi, and at the lube sending port was still zero.20200613_184930.thumb.jpg.a506476e0e783c540a644c199eb93223.jpg

Forgot to mention previously that after my initial test of lube and ta pressure I thought the manual steered me towards a major leak at the sump check valve. So I pulled the mcv, check valve and spring looked ok, did not see any bad o-rings or gaskets, neither flow control or pressure regulator valve were stuck. Everything in there looked ok so I put it back together.

I'm waiting on a new steering relief valve, the thing I dont understand is why I can't get pressure when running the steering supply flow test, but I can when testing the relief valve differential pressure.