Sign in to follow this  
Dave Downs

Digital Tachometer

Re-built the governor on a Cub, need to set the engine speed.

Found this - never seen one before, cost is about $10. This will be a one-time use,  anyone know anything about them?

3542A8EC-17C0-4474-8541-3F519EF06085.png

I have one that looks like that, seems to work good. Sometimes hard to get the reflective tape to stick to the crank pulley. 

Thanks, Cub PTO turns at engine speed, has pulley for belly mower, would use that to measure RPM

Got one similar to that too. Seems to work ok if you get the right angle on it. I think it picks up too many reflections that makes a bad reading if not held correctly.

Got one too and it works as advertised.

I've got one. Works great. $10 is very cheap. I'm reminded of the old saying " you get what you pay for ". If it works for you it will be money well spent.

$10! I'm not afraid to admit that I am a real cheapskate, I just downloaded an app for that on my phone. It's called Strobe Light and was free.  It works pretty well although it doesn't "read" the speed for you. You have to adjust the strobe rate to match the shaft speed and then take the reading. It uses the flashlight on the phone it's not as bright as a dedicated tack. You will need some shade for it to work. 

• Haha 1

Bump

Photo tachs are as low as 20 bucks on Amazon,  they have some at work that only need a white line from a paint pen.  Then they sell a diesel fuel injector line impulse unit that clamps on a injection line and gives a signal on a wire imitating a spark plug wire, so you can use any tool you may already have 

lots of options.

I bought one of the elcheapo's off EBAY and it worked one time to set the idle speed on my Cummins 12v. The next time I got it out of the case and put a battery in it.......nothing happened.