New to me 5488 and 5088

66 Series Farmer

Bought a 5488 and 5088 this winter. Slowly getting them set up for spraying and planting this spring. Just got new Firestones mounted on the 54 and the duals back on it tonight. 

5088 is currently at the tire shop getting new step up rims and tires. Pictures to follow. Some day when I win the lottery I’ll send them off to Mike down at Triple R. Life goals and dreams.

78175F33-59A6-4473-891F-8FDC2CF37172.jpeg

5C8B6470-F3B7-49C2-B2B4-44BA88A0560A.jpeg

• Like 18

Very nice tractor!  What are the interiors like?

I like the dual mirror setup on the inside, that’s a good idea

What’s the GPS globe used for?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, superih said:

And.............. Which one did you sell?

Since the 54 in this topic is two wheel drive, I am guessing that one? ?

7 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

Very nice tractor!  What are the interiors like?

I like the dual mirror setup on the inside, that’s a good idea

What’s the GPS globe used for?

Not sure on the dual mirrors yet, gonna swipe one for the 5088 since it’s original square  one is bad. I have two AG leader integra’s setups i use for planting and pull type sprayer.

5488 has a newer cab kit which wasn’t trimmed and put in the greatest but has a newer air seat. 5088 needs whole newer lower kit and has new seat Cushions. 

Got the 5088 home tonight and fresh oil in it. Paint is nothing special but she is a straight original old girl. Nothing that a good cleaning/waxing and new paint couldn’t fix.

got a pair of ten bolt dual hubs today from Worthington Ag parts too, should of asked if they came with the run bolts....but of course they didn’t ? 09187045-974F-4216-92FF-657E3EF17C12.thumb.jpeg.4aed0dce339dbf8a17fc837c04d81bba.jpeg4310245D-28B2-4F6B-AED9-57A6E9562B3D.thumb.jpeg.06bf4982318459bfee11cc692a373ed7.jpeg1DFE4CBD-5441-447B-A3A5-446491C3A16C.thumb.jpeg.8a6be6beff8e86783fb72c68ecdf4c57.jpeg

• Like 3

Can someone compare a 5088 or 5488 to an 8920?  

You dont have to go into great detail, 

never been around a 5088 or a 5488.  

Same amount of hydraulics ? 

Good track record? 

Ease of maintence? 

User friendly Transmission ??

6 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Good track record? 

Ease of maintence? 

Love my 5488, but sure wish it was a powershift!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Good track record? 

Ease of maintence? 

I have a 5088, 5488, and my 89 series is an 8940. I do not have an 8920. Size wise, a 5088 and an 8910 are considered very close if both are set at factory advertised  HP levels.

1.   Hydraulics are very similar, the 50 series had a bit more than the 71 and 72 series, they sped up the hydraulic pump on the 89 series, so it is slightly more than a 50 series.

2.  I believe overall the 50 series had a good track record, there are always exceptions to this in any color tractor.

3.  I think the 50 series has been just as easy to maintain as my 89 series Magnum.

4.  The transmission is very user friendly being it is fully synchronized, except reverse. Being it is essentially the same tractor as a Magnum with the very same speeds, but with an International engine, there is more similarities than differences. I really think that if the 50 series would have had a fully mechanical high/low shift, without the electric shift solenoids and the Sentry system, there would have been less problems. These 50 series are 35 to 40 years old, if they were not good tractors, they wouldn't still be being used as farm tractors, IMHO.?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, superih said:

Love my 5488, but sure wish it was a powershift!

Hmmm, a powershift 50 series, the following thought occurred to me because of occasionally seeing completely burned Magnums that pop up on Craigslist, but everything below the cab looked mostly fine. I think some have sold the working powershift transmission for around $4000.00, the cables were burned, but the rest of it looked fine in the pictures. There was a thread on here of a 5288 MFD that was being parted out because the transmission was trashed, now if that tractor had sentimental value or was just a cherry of a tractor, but the transmission was gone, it would be a good candidate for this, if this is possible.

Now I have never seen a square nosed Magnum and a 50 series sitting side by side with the rear end castings rolled away showing the back of the transmission from both to see if it would work, but I'm thinking that it may be possible to simply bolt a Magnum transmission to a 50 series rear end which would eliminate the computer draft control of the Magnum and give you a powershift 50 series tractor. The powershift 50 series tractors were already built when Tenneco bought IH and tried to merge Case in (essentially the Case tractors were terminated, only the CDC engine and the name survived) , so there shouldn't be many differences. The range and speed levers from the STS transmission could be removed and a small "tower" made and mounted to hold the powershift shifter because the Magnums simply used cables from the shift valve to the shifter, no linkages like the STS transmission. I know Danny Anderson removed the adapter on the front of the transmission and mounted the back half of a Magnum to an 50 series front, but I don't know if there were differences between the back of the powershift transmission and the STS transmission to the rear end. One would think that it would be a simple swap. It is something that is on my bucket list.?

I love the STS...............It worked better in a bunch of applications here way better than the Magnum with the powershift.  Biggest complaint I have with the 50's is the round tube 2wd front axle, it just wasn't heavy enough.  For me, the rest of the tractor was well thought out.  Some guys complain about the hydraulic lever and 3pt lever locations and oriention, but the perpendicular placement to the operator seemed more normal to me than the angled orientation on the Magnums and I never had any gripe with the 3pt.  Also the backwards opening door didn't bother me without anything in the way on the left side, unlike the 86 series.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:51 AM, ThirdGenRed said:

I have a 5088, 5488, and my 89 series is an 8940. I do not have an 8920. Size wise, a 5088 and an 8910 are considered very close if both are set at factory advertised  HP levels.

1.   Hydraulics are very similar, the 50 series had a bit more than the 71 and 72 series, they sped up the hydraulic pump on the 89 series, so it is slightly more than a 50 series.

2.  I believe overall the 50 series had a good track record, there are always exceptions to this in any color tractor.

3.  I think the 50 series has been just as easy to maintain as my 89 series Magnum.

4.  The transmission is very user friendly being it is fully synchronized, except reverse. Being it is essentially the same tractor as a Magnum with the very same speeds, but with an International engine, there is more similarities than differences. I really think that if the 50 series would have had a fully mechanical high/low shift, without the electric shift solenoids and the Sentry system, there would have been less problems. These 50 series are 35 to 40 years old, if they were not good tractors, they wouldn't still be being used as farm tractors, IMHO.?

On 3/19/2020 at 12:25 PM, TP from Central PA said:

I love the STS...............It worked better in a bunch of applications here way better than the Magnum with the powershift.  Biggest complaint I have with the 50's is the round tube 2wd front axle, it just wasn't heavy enough.  For me, the rest of the tractor was well thought out.  Some guys complain about the hydraulic lever and 3pt lever locations and oriention, but the perpendicular placement to the operator seemed more normal to me than the angled orientation on the Magnums and I never had any gripe with the 3pt.  Also the backwards opening door didn't bother me without anything in the way on the left side, unlike the 86 series.

What these guys said. I have three 54’s and two Magnums, I’d rather drive the 54 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.