9.0L V8 diesel

Flatbedcowboy

Hey All,

Im looking for someone that might still have parts available for an IH 9.0L V8 diesel. Its a 1984 in a s1754 truck. Im mainly looking for injectors. I see ebay has one, but I think thats for the tractor motor.

I mainly bought this truck for the chassis and transmission. It runs actually pretty good but smokes all the time. No oil or coolant use or leaks. As far as I can see the headgasket seems alright, still havent gotten that far into it.

I dont care that its a boat anchor or the worst engine ever used etc. I happen to like it ans its a little unique. Its really loud and does good at the moment anyways. My plans are to put my 1948 KB11 Cab on the 1754 chassis and run the 9.0L for now until I finish rebuilding the DT466 I have in my shop. Plus having an old school diesel V8 in a old school truck is kind of appealing to me, no one else has one that I've seen.

Thanks!

I didn't realize they ever put the DV550 in trucks, especially in 1984. 

If injectors are all you need, pull them out and send them to a diesel injection shop to get rebuilt and sent back.  No big deal.  If you are looking for exchange, finding a set on the shelf set up for that engine may be difficult.  But the injectors themselves I am sure are not engine specific, only likely the way they are set up.  Find and call a diesel injection shop. 

10 hours ago, J-Mech said:

If injectors are all you need, pull them out and send them to a diesel injection shop to get rebuilt and sent back.  No big deal.  If you are looking for exchange, finding a set on the shelf set up for that engine may be difficult.  But the injectors themselves I am sure are not engine specific, only likely the way they are set up.  Find and call a diesel injection shop. 

The 9.0 is the improved 550. Lots of little stuff changed. It was a very popular truck engine back in the early 80s. Designed and sold for bid truck fleets. To compete with 3208 cat. The smalle 16 ,17 and 1800 trucks used a lot of 9.0. They weren’t bad for back in the day either. Detroit had their fuelpincher 8.2 to compete with them to. I know you could get a 3208 in ihc trucks or the 9.0. Do think the fuel pincher was available. They were in gm and ford products.

7 minutes ago, dale560 said:

The 9.0 is the improved 550. Lots of little stuff changed. It was a very popular truck engine back in the early 80s. Designed and sold for bid truck fleets. To compete with 3208 cat. The smalle 16 ,17 and 1800 trucks used a lot of 9.0. They weren’t bad for back in the day either. Detroit had their fuelpincher 8.2 to compete with them to. I know you could get a 3208 in ihc trucks or the 9.0. Do think the fuel pincher was available. They were in gm and ford products.

Guess they just weren't popular in my area.  All the 80'S IHC trucks I've worked on that were diesel had 6 cylinders in them. I might have worked on a few with 3208's in them, but that's reaching into memory that isn't reliable anymore, lol. 

14 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Just figured most shops wouldnt be able to source parts either and buying new would be a better option. I do think I need the injection pump went through so maybe ill just take them all down to the injection shop and see whats up. 

If Im going that far I might as well do the head gasket while Im there. Need to find a parts list and manual and repair manual

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 9:21 AM, dale560 said:

The 9.0 is the improved 550.

1% improved. Still not much to write home about....

The 9 liter injectors are not hard to get I may have a few but not a set what code tip do you need?  I put hundreds of thousands of miles on a 81 s1754 with a 9 litre  very fuel efficient. starts way better than a dv550 when I overhauled mine there was akit to reroute the water pipes that I installed. I believe an 84 should have that already but I am not certain. If rustbugs had not got the truck I would still run it now as things changed and I only go a few thousand miles a year.

• 2 weeks later...

last i knew they were still available at the dealership, but i have not worked on one in over 10 years, still work part time at the dealer if i think of it i'll look into it, if you had the last 8 of the vin would help 'jeff

Archived