15ft Case IH 5400 drill hp requirements

Red1066

I just acquired a Case IH 5400 soybean special with a case IH caddy. My two bigger horsepower tractors are a 1466 and a 1086. Both have duals and a full rack of weights, do I have enough horsepower to pull this or I’m I running a little light on tractor power. Been wanting one for a while just hoping I didn’t bite off more than I can chew. Thanks in advance 

50 minutes ago, Red1066 said:

I just acquired a Case IH 5400 soybean special with a case IH caddy. My two bigger horsepower tractors are a 1466 and a 1086. Both have duals and a full rack of weights, do I have enough horsepower to pull this or I’m I running a little light on tractor power. Been wanting one for a while just hoping I didn’t bite off more than I can chew. Thanks in advance 

Yes,    I have pulled mine with  my 1256, but my 7110 is much nicer &  has 3 remotes.

On 3/16/2020 at 3:42 PM, Red1066 said:

Ummmmm..... Pictures!!????

21 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

I pulled a 15' with a Yetter cart with my 3688. 

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG

Worked good?  Find when fully loaded the front end would be light?  Dualed up I'm assuming?

I know I already commented, but I just can't believe how big of tractors some guys use for some things.  We planted for years with a Yetter cart and a 15' drill and a 6 row planter......no till and tilled ground.... with an 856 and it was more than enough tractor.  Planted all day at 7mph at least, and it wasn't a load.  Guys I farm with now used to do it with an 826.  They also planted for years with a 784 and a 800 Cyclo air 6 row.  Now, we pull a 900 Cyclo 12 row with a MX135 FWA.  More than big enough.  We pull a 30' 5400 Soybean special with a 3588 2+2, but have pulled it with a 7120 also.  Again, more than enough tractor.  A 15' drill doesn't take much hp to pull it. 90hp is plenty.  You could easily pull it with 70 hp even with it on a Yetter cart. I wouldn't be scared to hook our 784 up to the drill and go to the field.  Might have to add some more weight to the rear end, but I'm sure it would pull it. 

23 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

I know I already commented, but I just can't believe how big of tractors some guys use for some things.  We planted for years with a Yetter cart and a 15' drill and a 6 row planter......no till and tilled ground.... with an 856 and it was more than enough tractor.  Planted all day at 7mph at least, and it wasn't a load.  Guys I farm with now used to do it with an 826.  They also planted for years with a 784 and a 800 Cyclo air 6 row.  Now, we pull a 900 Cyclo 12 row with a MX135 FWA.  More than big enough.  We pull a 30' 5400 Soybean special with a 3588 2+2, but have pulled it with a 7120 also.  Again, more than enough tractor.  A 15' drill doesn't take much hp to pull it. 90hp is plenty.  You could easily pull it with 70 hp even with it on a Yetter cart. I wouldn't be scared to hook our 784 up to the drill and go to the field.  Might have to add some more weight to the rear end, but I'm sure it would pull it. 

I've never been fortunate enough to be around a 5400.  Seen one behind a Magnum 7220 no-tilling soybeans into corn stubble.  Very slick looking set up.  Just assumed that because they were doing no-til, loaded with beans, they needed big horse power to do it properly?

The fact that big hp is not needed in most situations is great to know.

We don't have big hills here, but do have un-tiled land and it is damp in spring when soil hasn't been worked and able to dry up some before pulling in to plant.   I know lots of guys have to no-til into less than ideal conditions in spring and fall when planting soys and winter wheat.

8 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

We don't have big hills here, but do have un-tiled land and it is damp in spring when soil hasn't been worked and able to dry up some before pulling in to plant.   I know lots of guys have to no-til into less than ideal conditions in spring and fall when planting soys and winter wheat.

That's one advantage of using the 2+2 to pull the drill.  If it's a bit on the heavy side, or you find a muck hole in the field, you have plenty of tractor to drag the drill through, and the 2+2 will float more than a 2wd tractor.  But in "normal" conditions you don't need that much tractor.  The big thing with the 30' drill is the tongue weight in transport position.  It's HEAVY, even unloaded.  We try to always road the drill as empty as possible, but now and again you have to move it with more in the hopper than is ideal. 

1 hour ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Worked good?  Find when fully loaded the front end would be light?  Dualed up I'm assuming?

Yes , on the duals. The weight of a full drill isn't an issue.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

Yes , on the duals. The weight of a full drill isn't an issue.

Nice looking set up.  I like the ones with Early-Riser row units on, bet they would be slick to have.

23 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

I pulled a 15' with a Yetter cart with my 3688. 

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG

More pictures of this set up behind your '88?

On 3/20/2020 at 7:07 PM, J-Mech said:

It's funny how different geographic areas require bigger or smaller tractors for different tasks. The last few years I was at the farm they bought a 30 foot landoll drill, that thing is heavy. We usually pulled it with the magnum 225 cvt and it pulled it good, you just had to be aware on hills but I will add the tractor could have been ballasted better. Sometimes I would use the 4650 Deere and it had more mass than the magnum but was lacking in the horsepower department. The best tractor was the mx270, the right balance of weight and power and when using that I had more confidence in tough spots. I wanted to try the 3588 but we determined the drawbar would probably snap off because the drill was so heavy when it was folded. 

• Like 1

Here is my setup to put it in rye for cover crop this year.  The drill and cart are my brothers. I own a 5400 without a cart and with that it takes a fairly large tractor to handle the weight. If any one knows where a cart is for sale, I would definitely be interested. A380C187-C842-4741-90BE-6526A8A9D11D.thumb.jpeg.6809d97acd5853cad5bb8e27d1ce3b2d.jpeg7D1D7750-0BE9-4A1D-84BD-D0A7D1CCF8CD.thumb.jpeg.5ff0e87beb28188dd881690f7ef8b216.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/23/2020 at 8:25 AM, NY1468 said:

Here is my setup to put it in rye for cover crop this year.  The drill and cart are my brothers. I own a 5400 without a cart and with that it takes a fairly large tractor to handle the weight. If any one knows where a cart is for sale, I would definitely be interested. A380C187-C842-4741-90BE-6526A8A9D11D.thumb.jpeg.6809d97acd5853cad5bb8e27d1ce3b2d.jpeg7D1D7750-0BE9-4A1D-84BD-D0A7D1CCF8CD.thumb.jpeg.5ff0e87beb28188dd881690f7ef8b216.jpeg

Nice set up!  Gotta love looking at Old IH!

My area in a bygone era farmers pulled these steep hills with a Farmall H.Granted equipment was lighter and smaller. But most guys pulled a square baler with a loaded wagon on the back.They also pulled a one row chopper chopping corn in a wagon.Now these same small farms have hobby farmers that can't farm with less then a 100hp 4wd cab tractor on the same hills doing less.

But it is nice having too much HP rather then to little,just when they get clumsy is only drawback.

• Like 1