Best raking tractor.

exSW

5 years ago I bought a 656D hear drive, and after procuring a 3rd link bracket and fast hitch adapters tried it on the Kuhn 3 pt rake.  Worked like a charm, 4th direct is the perfect speed, the 282 is very easy on fuel, and its comfortable.  Utility tractors are just a pain for someone my size to sit on. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's our 2 raking outfits. Love the narrow front/dolly wheel setup for pinpoint turning at the end of the row if doubling windrows together 

20190630_111851.jpg

20190608_121307.jpg

Sounds like the smaller rowcrops are the way to go with a rake. 

How about the IH utilities like a 404, 424, or 444? 

For my situation I have a 3pt rake. 

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

I’m just curious why?? They are some of the few 2 cylinders made with a “real” clutch.  The 420/30 were a better product then what IH had at the time.

How do you figure?  I would rather have a 240 or even better yet a 340 with live PTO and a TA over those.

in our country hay fields hold HEAT, those utilities are HOT to run you are getting heat from the tractor and the field at that point, row crop the way to go!!! up there higher with more circulation and less heat effect from ground for sure 

BTDT 

1 hour ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Sounds like the smaller rowcrops are the way to go with a rake. 

How about the IH utilities like a 404, 424, or 444? 

For my situation I have a 3pt rake. 

7 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

in our country hay fields hold HEAT, those utilities are HOT to run you are getting heat from the tractor and the field at that point, row crop the way to go!!! up there higher with more circulation and less heat effect from ground for sure 

BTDT 

They beat the crap out of you with the short rear wheels,wheelbase and I believe the brake and clutch throws are shorter as well. Same thing on the Deere utilities of the era. I've raked with both a 504 utility and row crop. The row crop was infinitely better.

1 minute ago, exSW said:

They beat the crap out of you with the short rear wheels,wheelbase and I believe the brake and clutch throws are shorter as well. Same thing on the Deere utilities of the era.

yes weight is better, ride is better, i like a wide ft vs narrow due to the bouncy holes and such a tricycle will give you even if you can turn shorter but things slide pretty good on hay so usually not an issue

a couple guys had the ford Ns and i hated them, for anything we had to do with them they just stunk in my opinion - i liked the Deeres better as a second choice at other farmers that didnt have farmalls or IH, a ford 5600 row crop isnt bad or a 6600 those were ok too, one guy had a 60 deere with p/s it was not bad but narrow front - allis d17 wasnt bad it had wide ft, the 400, 560, 656, 706 were all good to me, the only rakes i ever used were wheel driven side delivery units 

used a 9600 and tw20 they were a lil overkill HA!!! 9600 was the smallest tractor the guy had 

hated mowing/raking with our B, it stunk - hard to steer, narrow ft, light but i would take it over a Ford N any day. 

26 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

How do you figure?  I would rather have a 240 or even better yet a 340 with live PTO and a TA over those.

Live PTO is a pretty big deal to me. And if you didn’t want that a direction reverser was an option. Not sure if the 240 had a 5 speed transmission or not.  Ours doesn’t.  We have a 240 and it served us well but that’s because the only thing it pulled in the field was the MH ground driven rake.  Rest of the time was spent with a post pounder and post hole digger or running grain augers at harvest.  The 340 was in the 530 class so not a direct comparison.

The SM with 3pt V-rake worked well bringing together swaths from the 14' header for a lot of years.

1406947059_SMVrake.thumb.jpg.f9ed2efb8085a451b9efe7f2728c1f07.jpg

But when I went to newer swather with 16' header and 656H with H&S rake, thought I'd died and gone to heaven ?

2138451099_656andHS.jpg.8485a950fa9bb7c5520f152fe24d46ce.jpg

Best raking tractor?  Now that’s an open ended question if there ever was one ? We used to do quite a bit of raking with a Farmall B and a side delivery rake. Then the 686 and Vermeer R23 and R2300.  Then put the 766 in front of the R2300.  Much better gear selection as the 686 basically had 2 speeds to pick from, 4 DD or 5 TA.  Neither was ideal.  My own stalk raking rig is CIH MX170 in front of a 20 wheel Rowse.  Sounds like overkill but last year I found its limits.  Started wishing I had a bit more power and an IVT.  MFD was a necessity.  

I grew up pulling a side delivery MF behind the IH 560. I loved that job. Enough power and weight for running in our hills. Dad used the W4 pulling the same rake for years too but had to be careful on some fields

Now we pull a Inland 14 wheel v rake with the 766 and its matched perfect. I would be pretty leary using a smaller tractor on alot our hay ground. Heck we even pulled the rake with the 4166 and the 4494 a few times. Needed 4wd to get across the fields. I will say I much prefer the 766 over the Hydro 100

IMG_20151109_111200.thumb.jpg.bbbd8b79cbe62d16845fc8696d131c89.jpg

Raked a lot of hay with NH roll-a-bar rake behind a Jeep CJ-7. Comfortable, good ride, road speed and fun

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

CIH MX170 in front of a 20 wheel Rowse.  Sounds like overkill but last year I found its limits.

That is a lot of rake. Rowse don't cut any corners building them. 

……..Best raking tractor ??…….one with long track frame...and with rippers or  winch hanging off the back end...D6B   (pictured )is very good, with its inherent stability, on   steep gradients...

...BTD8    82 series   was an incredible  performer, when raking …...with exceptional climbing ability..... but lacked  the kilograms to punch out larger trees as one headed down into the unknown...

Currently using the D53    "Swampy " , but with conventional   chains...but no hills ...just on flat land...but with nine roller frame, would be great on hills....

...Oh...you are talking raking hay  ??….pardon me...rather timid  after the scrub raking  pre forestry planting....:rolleyes:....

….Just missed getting  pictures of big Terex   crawler, winching  down 27 ton Hyundai excavator  ,   raking  seriously steep country, near home

..that is right into  the "butt puckering  ""    territory...unlike the Cat  picture...virtually flat , easy stuff 

Mike

DSC02417.JPG

yea but mike those windrows are tough on the baler!!!! 

7 minutes ago, mike newman said:

……..Best raking tractor ??…….one with long track frame...and with rippers or  winch hanging off the back end...D6B   (pictured )is very good, with its inherent stability, on   steep gradients...

...BTD8    82 series   was an incredible  performer, when raking …...with exceptional climbing ability..... but lacked  the kilograms to punch out larger trees as one headed down into the unknown...

Currently using the D53    "Swampy " , but with conventional   chains...but no hills ...just on flat land...but with nine roller frame, would be great on hills....

...Oh...you are talking raking hay  ??….pardon me...rather timid  after the scrub raking  pre forestry planting....:rolleyes:....

….Just missed getting  pictures of big Terex   crawler, winching  down 27 ton Hyundai excavator  ,   raking  seriously steep country, near home

..that is right into  the "butt puckering  ""    territory...unlike the Cat  picture...virtually flat , easy stuff 

Mike

DSC02417.JPG

The 5 mph 4th gear in the '39 H was too slow,  but running 1300-1400 rpm in the 6-1/2 mph 4th gear in the Super H, about 5-1/2 mph was great. Typically used the rubber-tired David Bradley 4-bar rake on hay. Took about 4-1/2 hours to rake 20 acres, maybe a bit less, typically raked two swaths into one windrow.  When raking straw I'd hook the steel high wheeled New Idea 4-bar rake to the tractor, that rake had a rear hitch to pull another rake, raked two 7 ft swaths into one windrow then roll another 14 ft swath into the windrow on the pass back across the field. Made short work of 20 acres.

Was snooping on Kuhn's website the other day, a 2-basket rotary rake they recommend 40 pto hp.  Might have to step up to an M to run that.

Farmall C what I use in second has nice traction drive speed .

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

Mike

DSC02417.JPG

Looks like Pennsylvania to me , easy raking and bale loading ,just got to lean

Dad used wc allis,--I used the 560 when I had to rake--I don't mess around!--worst job on the farm was raking hay,---seamed like such a waste of equipment! --Now plowing, disking, deep ripping, etc. was a whole different game! Loved doing that!

Archived